worth overclocking my 8800gtx?

Starmonger

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
im thinking of oc'ing as much as I can safely, was going to try on the stock cooler but its allready pretty hot so im thining of getting an air cooler to replace it. But i just need to know if theres any point at all, Ive been looking at various benchmarks and im left a little confused. Some place I read that It would be around a 10-15% increas in performance from and OC, but then when I look at benchmarks of an 8800gtx vs an 8800 Ultra, I see only 1 fps increase- which to me isnt worth the hasstle.. what dont I understand?

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
while you can get a pretty good overclock, even if you were to get a better cooler, you wont get a better overclock, the problem your having is
your reaching the limits of your current videocard bios settings, for a batter overclock, you will need to give the GPU a slight voltage increase for a higher overclock

PS when overclocking, overclock the GPU first, then overclock the memory if your using a program like rivatuner

the GPU generally overclocks better than the memory and overclocking one than the other will give you a better overclock

Well OC'ng isnt just for getting performance , some parts of it is for fun and the joy it has , for example when u OverClock a CPU (i know his talking about GPU, but i am giving an example) from 2.4 to 2.6, the difference wont be much , but it has alot of fun and u will learn alot of things

Starmonger

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Thats true, theres deffinatly some fun to be had. Anyway the games Im playing all need more performance. For example im playing World in Conflict, which was running pretty well but when i upgraded to a 22" screen, it didn't run as smooth which made me think of overclocking. Also for some reason company of heroes isnt running very well either, though it used to i think before they brought out the OF expansion, Or maybe its the 22" again. Supreme commander is another game with extremely high needs, Crysis soon. So basicly every game i play, except for half life2/tf2.