Closed

ps2 to usb adapter not working

Hi,

i have a notebook with xp pro and i have a foreign language keyboard that I
would like to plug in and use.

The keyboard is ps2 but I dont have a ps2 connection on my notebook. i went
to an electonics store and bought a ps2 to usb adapter so that I could use
this keyboard - but xp pro doesnt recognise it (doesnt ask for new drivers -
doesnt even register).

Any tips on how to get this to work would be appreciated.

Thanks

Doug
6 answers Last reply
More about adapter working

    Look in the BIOS and see if there is an option to enable USB Keyboard
    support.

    --
    Good Day
    River Rat

    "gordon" <gordononline@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    Hi,

    i have a notebook with xp pro and i have a foreign language keyboard that I
    would like to plug in and use.

    The keyboard is ps2 but I dont have a ps2 connection on my notebook. i went
    to an electonics store and bought a ps2 to usb adapter so that I could use
    this keyboard - but xp pro doesnt recognise it (doesnt ask for new drivers -
    doesnt even register).

    Any tips on how to get this to work would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Doug

    "gordon" <gordononline@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > i have a notebook with xp pro and i have a foreign language keyboard that
    > I would like to plug in and use.
    >
    > The keyboard is ps2 but I dont have a ps2 connection on my notebook. i
    > went to an electonics store and bought a ps2 to usb adapter so that I
    > could use this keyboard - but xp pro doesnt recognise it (doesnt ask for
    > new drivers - doesnt even register).
    >
    > Any tips on how to get this to work would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Doug

    Some keyboards don't work with those adapters. If it didn't come with one,
    it may not work. And not all of those adapters are the same. I've seen some
    devices that work fine with the ones they come with, but that don't work at
    all with any aftermarket devices.

    You might also check to make sure that the USB port itself is turned on &
    functioning correctly. Do other devices recognize?

    If your keyboard is not designed to work with an simple adapter, it likely
    won't work properly.

    There are some adapters that actually capture scan codes and then translate
    them to the appropriate USB HID signals, but those are very uncommon.

    If you need a USB keyboard, get one that is designed as a USB keyboard
    (usually, PS/2 keyboards that can work as USB keyboards come with the
    adapter... if it doesn't, chances are very good that it wasn't designed to
    work in USB mode).

    --
    Gary Tsang
    Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

    gordon wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > i have a notebook with xp pro and i have a foreign language keyboard that I
    > would like to plug in and use.
    >
    > The keyboard is ps2 but I dont have a ps2 connection on my notebook. i went
    > to an electonics store and bought a ps2 to usb adapter so that I could use
    > this keyboard - but xp pro doesnt recognise it (doesnt ask for new drivers -
    > doesnt even register).
    >
    > Any tips on how to get this to work would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Doug

    Is the keyboard designed to work with a PS/2-USB adapter? Consult its
    manufacturer.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  5. > Hi,

    > i have a notebook with xp pro and i have a foreign language keyboard that I
    > would like to plug in and use.
    >
    > The keyboard is ps2 but I dont have a ps2 connection on my notebook. i went
    > to an electonics store and bought a ps2 to usb adapter so that I could use
    > this keyboard - but xp pro doesnt recognise it (doesnt ask for new drivers -
    > doesnt even register).
    >
    > Any tips on how to get this to work would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Doug

    Hi,

    This is the same way i experience when I buy PS2 to USB Converter, As I recognize not all BIOS supports that device. I want to run it to windows 7 using Dell Optiplex but it wont recognize but when i plug it to my old pc Pentium 3 and it works with BIOS STAR bios, It means Not all PC's support that converter (ps2 to USB) and i tried also to update my bios and update my windows xp but it does't work. If you have PCI Slot on the side of your laptop just buy an PCI for ps2.

    Thanks,

    william
  6. Please start a new thread!

PlayStation Keyboards Notebooks USB Adapter Windows XP