Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Overclocking e2180

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
October 27, 2007 8:26:27 PM

Alright, I'm getting the e2180 processor and the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L motherboard. I have never overclocked a processor before and am in need of some assistance.

I do know that I would need to increase the fsb (of course) of the processor, but would I need to do anything else? Disable speedstep? Set pci express slot to 100? Set pci to 33? Stuff like that? I'm also getting some ddr2-800 Crucial Ballistix ram. Should I go for a 1:1 ratio and downclock the ram? Or some other ratio and oc the ram?

All help is appreciated. Thanks!

More about : overclocking e2180

October 27, 2007 8:31:03 PM

Disable all unnesscary crap... Set PCI-E to 100 PCI to 33. Go 1:1 then turn up FSB as far as you can go without it crashing and your done
October 27, 2007 9:06:28 PM

So should I go with 333X10 for a 3.3 Ghz overclock? Or should I go full out and do a 400X10? Also, I read the overclocking guide, would I be able to find ALL of those things that were disabled in my bios? Or would I have trouble with that?

I was thinking to go with 3.3 ghz and if that's COMPLETELY stable, I'd try and take it to 4 ghz...Or maybe that's a bit too high?

Would putting some better thermal paste help? Is it better than the pre-applied stuff that comes with it?
Related resources
October 27, 2007 9:11:19 PM

Hell I can barely to do 4.0 on my E6600 stable. I keep it at 2.4Ghz until I start lagging in games. Do the 3.3Ghz if you get it stable keep it that way
October 27, 2007 9:12:53 PM

Should I put my own paste? Or use the pre-applied?
October 27, 2007 9:18:12 PM

Arctic Silver 5. Could give you better temps
October 27, 2007 9:20:07 PM

Could? Would it though? I have MX-1 which on previous testing showed to be more effective than AC5. I heard that pre-applied paste would work better for "some" reason.
October 27, 2007 9:22:38 PM

use the MX-1 then. Pre applied paste in most cases dont work better
October 27, 2007 9:37:19 PM

And put a small dot in the middle and put the heatsink on it? Should spread it out smoothly? or spread it out myself?

Also, would I find all those things in the bios that were in the overclocking sticky?
October 27, 2007 9:39:48 PM

spread it smoothly and are you need to overclocking?
October 27, 2007 9:43:34 PM

If I spread it myself I'm afraid that I'll mess it up...and plus I've heard that it's better to put a small dot in the middle and let the heatsink do the rest. I want to overclock because I always wanted to and this processor seems like a good first time OCer. Plus I can't really pay for a better system so I'm stuck with this budget system. Doesn't hurt to get some more juice out of it.
October 27, 2007 9:51:43 PM

Do what is universally always better. More research I spread mine evenly.
October 27, 2007 10:03:56 PM

And what about my other question? Would I be able to find all those bios things in the ds3l? Or am i gonna have trouble finding them?
October 27, 2007 10:06:13 PM

Not exactly swimming in knowledge with that board but most of time it should be simple I shall do a bit research and tell you when I foudn out
October 27, 2007 10:10:41 PM

Alright, thanks man.
November 16, 2007 10:51:14 AM

Did you manage to get your 2180 overclocked? i just bought this combination, and I was wondering how you did on it.
November 18, 2007 3:07:07 AM

Hey gentleman, lucky for you I'm posting this with an OC E2180 using a GA-p35-ds3l Right now I have it at 3.2Ghz with 355 FSB x9 multi (locked at 9 max) Memory is currently 1:1 4-4-4-12 (patriot EP make sure your DDR voltage is right, mine is 2.2V so I had to go +0.4 V to make it right. Also since we are on the subject to access the timings on the p35-ds3l, WHILE in the BIOS press ctrl+F1, the screen will flicker, when you go to the OC menu/options you'll now see timings.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 18, 2007 3:32:33 AM

NightScope and itotallybelieveyou, Masscool Shin-Etsu X23 can reduce CPU temps by ~ 4c compared to Arctic Silver 5, which is far more popular than it is effective. The first link shown below is to a very in-depth Thermal Interface Material (TIM) comparison that was posted 2/2/07 on Tom's Overclocking - Cooler and Heatsinks Forum, which was conducted by DaSickNinja. This 6 page thread is very revealing, however, the review has been moved to the second link shown below, Xtreme CPU.

DaClan Review: Thermal Interface Shootout: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221751-29-daclan-revi...

Note: Due to Tom's servers forcing asterisks in the link below, when clicked it will cause "This page cannot be displayed". Simply backspace the 3 asterisks and type x-c-p-u-s without hyphens, then press enter.

Thermal Interface Material Comparison: http://www.***.com/forums/case-psu-cooling/3902-thermal-interface-material-comparison.html

Masscool Shin-Etsu X23 Thermal Interface Material (TIM) can reduce CPU temps by ~ 4c compared to Arctic Silver 5, and is simply the best TIM for CPU cooling.

X23 is available at the following sites:

http://www.chillblast.com/product.php?productid=16932
http://www.ajigo-store.com/se7783d.html
http://www.crazypc.com/products/50118.html
http://www.watercoolingshop.com/catalog/product_info.ph...
http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.ph...

Comp :sol: 
November 28, 2007 4:37:37 PM

bildo123 said:
I'm posting this with an OC E2180 using a GA-p35-ds3l Right now I have it at 3.2Ghz with 355 FSB x9 multi (locked at 9 max) Memory is currently 1:1 4-4-4-12 (patriot EP make sure your DDR voltage is right, mine is 2.2V so I had to go +0.4 V to make it right. Also since we are on the subject to access the timings on the p35-ds3l, WHILE in the BIOS press ctrl+F1, the screen will flicker, when you go to the OC menu/options you'll now see timings.

Couple questions for you since I have the DS3R.
First, how did you get the memory to a 1:1 ratio?
Second, what kind of stress-testing have you done with your system?
Third, (and this will really answer the first two questions), what are your BIOS settings?

The most I've been able to get out of the board is 280 FSB, and eventually I end up with data corruption. I've RMA'd the motherboard in case it was the problem and am back to running stock config (with the exception of my memory at 4-4-4-12) on the replacement board. I am really starting to question how THG got a stable system with reasonable temps using the stock cooler. And by reasonable I mean anything under 65°C at max CPU load.

(My memory is GeIL Esoteria PC2 6400)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144069
November 29, 2007 4:39:54 PM

Evolution2001 said:
Couple questions for you since I have the DS3R.
First, how did you get the memory to a 1:1 ratio?
Second, what kind of stress-testing have you done with your system?
Third, (and this will really answer the first two questions), what are your BIOS settings?

The most I've been able to get out of the board is 280 FSB, and eventually I end up with data corruption. I've RMA'd the motherboard in case it was the problem and am back to running stock config (with the exception of my memory at 4-4-4-12) on the replacement board. I am really starting to question how THG got a stable system with reasonable temps using the stock cooler. And by reasonable I mean anything under 65°C at max CPU load.

(My memory is GeIL Esoteria PC2 6400)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144069


1)Whoops that was when I had my multi @ 10x and FSB @ 320 and my Mem Multi @ 2.5 sorry.
2)LoL open side case with a nightstand fan blowing on the parts I ran 3Dmark06. But with the side case off it would crash during an half hour gaming so I set it back down to 2.75Ghz @ stock Vcore and power savings on. But I just bought a CoolerMaster hyper TX2 $10 after rebate. Then' ill try the 3.2Ghz and my goal 3.4Ghz.
3) As of right now FSB @ 275 PCI-E on 100Mhz not auto, SPD mem multi @ 3 (825Mhz) DDR2 voltage +.4 (Patriot EP requires 2.2V) Vcore is on 'Normal' I have the two power options on(so my voltage auto scales as well as my multi). Also my memory timings are @ 4-4-4-12 sub timings on Auto.

But this will all be very different on friday when me new centurion 5 case comes in ($15 AR oh yea) It comes with a 80mm intake and a 120mm exaust that will be in line with my 90mm fan on the TX2 cooler. Also I got a nice accellero 2 VGA cooler for my 8800GT. I'm gonna OC that too.
November 29, 2007 6:11:00 PM

bildo123 said:
2)LoL open side case with a nightstand fan blowing on the parts I ran 3Dmark06. But with the side case off it would crash during an half hour gaming so I set it back down to 2.75Ghz @ stock Vcore and power savings on. But I just bought a CoolerMaster hyper TX2 $10 after rebate. Then' ill try the 3.2Ghz and my goal 3.4Ghz.
I'm curious how long you could run Prime95 without it dumping...
November 30, 2007 1:24:03 PM

See my post for a perfect 3.4 overclock. There is plenty of headroom built in so you should get the same results as long as you have good cooling and a decent PSU.

Use an Arctic Cooler Pro 7...£15 and comes with paste already applied. Link is below.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/245013-11-e2180-sta...

Your m/b is very similar to mine and you should therefore be OK.

Also, I have only pushed the FSB to 368, and these boards are capable of up to 500.
November 30, 2007 2:26:53 PM

oneman0664 said:
See my post for a perfect 3.4 overclock. There is plenty of headroom built in so you should get the same results as long as you have good cooling and a decent PSU.

Use an Arctic Cooler Pro 7...£15 and comes with paste already applied. Link is below.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/245013-11-e2180-sta...

Your m/b is very similar to mine and you should therefore be OK.

Also, I have only pushed the FSB to 368, and these boards are capable of up to 500.

Thanks for the thread link. I only have the E2160, but I expect the same settings to be the same. (Exception of the multiplier.) Did you try your memory at 4-4-4-12? From what I'm gathering, most of the "performance memory" from the major mfgs is able to run stable at those timings (with the proper voltage supplied.)
November 30, 2007 8:38:08 PM

lol, the AS5 still remains in question...
December 2, 2007 10:59:50 AM

bildo123 said:
Hey gentleman, lucky for you I'm posting this with an OC E2180 using a GA-p35-ds3l Right now I have it at 3.2Ghz with 355 FSB x9 multi (locked at 9 max) Memory is currently 1:1 4-4-4-12 (patriot EP make sure your DDR voltage is right, mine is 2.2V so I had to go +0.4 V to make it right. Also since we are on the subject to access the timings on the p35-ds3l, WHILE in the BIOS press ctrl+F1, the screen will flicker, when you go to the OC menu/options you'll now see timings.


Why are yu running at 1:1 ? That's 355 x2 = 710......I assume you have RAM rated at 800......?
December 2, 2007 11:02:05 AM

bildo123 said:
1)Whoops that was when I had my multi @ 10x and FSB @ 320 and my Mem Multi @ 2.5 sorry.
2)LoL open side case with a nightstand fan blowing on the parts I ran 3Dmark06. But with the side case off it would crash during an half hour gaming so I set it back down to 2.75Ghz @ stock Vcore and power savings on. But I just bought a CoolerMaster hyper TX2 $10 after rebate. Then' ill try the 3.2Ghz and my goal 3.4Ghz.
3) As of right now FSB @ 275 PCI-E on 100Mhz not auto, SPD mem multi @ 3 (825Mhz) DDR2 voltage +.4 (Patriot EP requires 2.2V) Vcore is on 'Normal' I have the two power options on(so my voltage auto scales as well as my multi). Also my memory timings are @ 4-4-4-12 sub timings on Auto.

But this will all be very different on friday when me new centurion 5 case comes in ($15 AR oh yea) It comes with a 80mm intake and a 120mm exaust that will be in line with my 90mm fan on the TX2 cooler. Also I got a nice accellero 2 VGA cooler for my 8800GT. I'm gonna OC that too.



Try pushing your RAM to 950 - then it can make use of the huge overvoltage !!!

If is decent RAM it will do it at 5/5/5/15......bandwidth if far more useful with a core duo than timings.
December 5, 2007 11:23:43 AM

Okay Okay wipe everything I said, I think I found my final and probbobly last setup. Right now I got my E2180 @ 3Ghz @ 1.406V BIOS(1.4V even prime thread 1 stopped after 2 1/2 hours, figured one notch up to 1.406 would give it the gas to go farther). Since we are on the subject the only voltage changed is my Vcore, everything else is on 'Normal'. Memory is @ 5-5-5-16 1.8V. Idle Temps after a short prime 10 minutes test was Core0 22C Core1 24C. The Highs were about 51C But I'm sure after an hour it would go to 53C. (Thats what It was @ after 2 1/2 hours of prime @ 1.4V) So I think I'm fine with 3Ghz. After all I OC my 8800GT to 700/1950 with my Accelero 2 cooler. So I'm sure another 200, maybe even 400MHz wont give me many more FPS to make a 'Wow' difference. It's not the 3.4Ghz I wanted but for $90 bucks it sure beats the crap out of my old A64 +3400 1MB L2 (thats right ClawHammer baby)
December 5, 2007 1:39:40 PM

bildo123 said:
Okay Okay wipe everything I said, I think I found my final and probbobly last setup. Right now I got my E2180 @ 3Ghz @ 1.406V BIOS(1.4V even prime thread 1 stopped after 2 1/2 hours, figured one notch up to 1.406 would give it the gas to go farther). Since we are on the subject the only voltage changed is my Vcore, everything else is on 'Normal'. Memory is @ 5-5-5-16 1.8V. Idle Temps after a short prime 10 minutes test was Core0 22C Core1 24C. The Highs were about 51C But I'm sure after an hour it would go to 53C. (Thats what It was @ after 2 1/2 hours of prime @ 1.4V) So I think I'm fine with 3Ghz. After all I OC my 8800GT to 700/1950 with my Accelero 2 cooler. So I'm sure another 200, maybe even 400MHz wont give me many more FPS to make a 'Wow' difference. It's not the 3.4Ghz I wanted but for $90 bucks it sure beats the crap out of my old A64 +3400 1MB L2 (thats right ClawHammer baby)



That sounds reasonable to me.

I was just a little shocked that you have overvolted your RAM without OC'ng it !

The biggest increase in FPS I found, was between 2.6 GHz and 3.

The increase in FPS above this is minimal so staying at 3Ghz is actually quite sensible.

I may well downclock mine and get more life out of it !

Cheers
December 5, 2007 1:42:08 PM

The only reason I need every FPS I can get is that my main reason for building the PC was to play Flight Sim X...which is a real CPU hog.

For FEAR....I got an increase of 3 FPS on the minimum, by OC'ing from 2 to 3.4 !
December 5, 2007 3:37:16 PM

oneman0664 said:
The only reason I need every FPS I can get is that my main reason for building the PC was to play Flight Sim X...which is a real CPU hog.

For FEAR....I got an increase of 3 FPS on the minimum, by OC'ing from 2 to 3.4 !


Wow, the FEAR results seemed very anti-dramatic for such a dramatic OC. Then again like you mentioned it really depends on wether the game is CPU or GPU dependent. But thanks for the FPS difference and the speed comparisons. I tried every conceivable setup but could not for the life of me get the desktop to load above 3.2Ghz (but this time capping myself at 1.5v) I really dont know what to point the finger at. Could be my mobo, maybe my 4x1GB sticks,(heard 2x2GB is more stable or something like that). But I would guess the CPU, considering for it to load the desktop the voltage would have to be over 1.5, but I succumbed to the fact to run it over 1.5 for every day use is no good. So 3Ghz at very comfortable heat/voltage levels will do until I can get a penryn Quad for a decent price. Then to see how well that OC's!
December 5, 2007 7:39:12 PM

I actually did some cheesy timedemo's of doom3 just to see the differences. I was able to reproduce my results so these are failry accurate. With everything max except AA is 4x

Speed/1st Run FPS/2ed Run FPS

2Ghz/60/74
2.75Ghz/93/112
3Ghz/92/121
3Ghz with Robust Graphics Booster on Turbo and Performance Enhance on Extreme/101/124

I always wanted to see what the hell those unknown "performance enchance" options did.And since I had this nice experiment going with a control and variable, so I put those on whilst @ 3Ghz. Obviously it's doing a little something. What, im not sure of.
December 6, 2007 5:59:24 AM

Im also running 3.0 ghz using this combo. Im running at 1.39 volts v-core stable, but i upped my ram to the specified 2.2 Im using crucial ballistix. Everythings been rock stable...

however...

lately its been freezing during the load on cold boots. ie: computers been completely shut off for several hours. Anyone have suggestions/solutions?
December 6, 2007 4:27:07 PM

fiask0 said:
Im also running 3.0 ghz using this combo. Im running at 1.39 volts v-core stable, but i upped my ram to the specified 2.2 Im using crucial ballistix. Everythings been rock stable...

however...

lately its been freezing during the load on cold boots. ie: computers been completely shut off for several hours. Anyone have suggestions/solutions?


I actually had that happen to me once, I upped the DDR2V to +.1V hasnt dont it since. I can a couple restart shutdown tests and it seems to be fine now. Try running your DDR2V to 1.9 Mine had 2.2V written all over it but it works fine with lower timings @ closer to stock voltages.
December 6, 2007 4:28:50 PM

fiask0 said:
Im also running 3.0 ghz using this combo. Im running at 1.39 volts v-core stable, but i upped my ram to the specified 2.2 Im using crucial ballistix. Everythings been rock stable...

however...

lately its been freezing during the load on cold boots. ie: computers been completely shut off for several hours. Anyone have suggestions/solutions?


Does it "hang" and double boot or freeze up while loading the OS or in the OS?
December 6, 2007 6:15:19 PM

Nightscope. I have a 2180, 2gb Cruciat Ballistix on a Blood Iron board. My experience is you will probably need additional cooling if you want to run that high. I like to keep mine about 50C this time of year (ambient 60F) I am at 3.1 stable (vcore 1.47) Tuniq
tower and Shin etsu. I had a AC freeze pro 7 but could not really get above 2.85 without to much heat. I have 4 fans and my sidecover off. I can run higher but like to keep the temps down because summer will return. lol.
December 11, 2007 6:13:54 AM

cnumartyr said:
Does it "hang" and double boot or freeze up while loading the OS or in the OS?



It'll load bios fine, however will not load windows. Im running vista ultimate, and it hangs on the toolbar. It's done it maybe about 4-5 times, out of 200-300 times i've turned the machine on. Its not a big problem, i just flip the power switch in the back and it boots up just fine after that. Its more of an annoying, this isnt quite right, quirk. Im not sure what the memory is running, i think its 2.1 but im not positive. I'll double check.

e2180 @3.0ghz
Gigabyte p35-ds3l
2gb Crucial ddr400 Ballistix
evGa 8800GTS

!