kingoftherings

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
I didn't know my Geforce 7600GS had TurboCache, but when I was looking at my Display Settings I saw this:

mem.jpg

I don't want my GPU sucking up all that Memory, is there any way to turn that off?

I'm using Windows Vista with the Forceware 163.44 drivers.

kingoftherings

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
Oh, and I found this in the Forceware 163.44 release notes:

Windows Vista now controls the allocation of system memory to the GPU for Turbo Cache functions. The Windows Vista Display Properties pages show the shared system memory (SSM), or how much memory is allocated for NVIDIA GPUs to use for Turbo Cache.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
You think thats mad? Before I had a 256mb 1650xt and it took 1.75gb of my 4gb ram and shoved it on there!

Its not all taht bad though, if you looked it sais shared, which means either can use it.

Atm with my 7950gx2 dxdiag reads it as 2279mb of memory. Idk whether its counting 1gb of onboard or 512mb of onboard, im assuming 512 though.

kingoftherings

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
Okay, the shared part is good. :p

1gb of Video Memory is way too much for a midrange card like mine. :p I can't even play anything higher than 1280x1024 because of my monitor.

I'm glad that it shouln't really be using any of that shared memory, so I can still have 2gb for games or other apps.

Wow hatman thats harsh is turbo cache an option on cards when you buy them as i have a 1650xt and mine (luckily it would seem )dosent have it.
Did you know or was it a suprise to you. Thats another thing to look out for now :(
Mactronix

Yea thats true that is. My bad never read the post properly op said turbocashe so i took him at his word thanks for the link i had it before but had to restore this morning (small monitor issue)and lost it :)
Mactronix
Ps im not sugesting you post needs me to validate it just agreeing :)