AMDs Henri "We dont do paper launches" Richard quits

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Son-of-$#%$^%

You beat me too it!!!! ;)

My title was going to be "AMD-O-Philes Rejoice!!!! (or despair)

This is either great news for AMD (assuming Henris replacement isnt an even more deceitfull moron) or, it means it may already be too late and the Rats are jumping ship, lead, as is usual, by the most shiftless, worthless, resourse sucking fatties of the bunch.

Wombat2

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
Director of marketing quits 2 weeks before AMDs biggest launch for 3 years ... join the dots.

I think he is to be the fall guy when the first B benches come out and people say "Wheres that +40% over Intel you promised us?"

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Could very well be, but the article said he left for another job, so Im guessing he may have decided to jump ship, expecting it to sink. "Chief sales and marketing officer " for a BK company doesnt look too good on a resume'.

Then again, it could have been a forced resignation, which may have afforded him time to find the other position (assuming its real), which fits much more nicely with the scape goat idea.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Sorry, I was refering to the THG Daily article, not the Hexus

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/33508/118/

Humphrey Cheung of TGDaily wrote:
Sunnyvale (CA) – Henri Richard, AMD’s Chief Sales and Marketing Officer, will be leaving the company. Hexus.net first broke the story on and the information has since been confirmed by several other sources. Apparently Richard will leave the company on September 8th for another job opportunity.
AMD hasn’t had a very good year and the company has racked up hundreds of millions in losses, several quarters in a row. The company’s native quad-core chip, the Barcelona, is half a year late and will officially ship on September 10th.

Of course, Humphey's remark could be purely presumptive with no actual evidence presented to support it :??:

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
I dont think McDonalds would have him. Maybe KFC, but not McDonalds. You dont get to thier level by hiring idiots at the corporate level. Now, if you meant as a janitor....well maybe....if he changed his name and presented them with a false resume. ;)

The janitor position is quite highly sought after and a maybe even a little too lofty for one with his credentials, but have you seen the amount of litter in their car park's, sheesh, someone's gotta clear that up!

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
From the inside, I have been told something that has been kept quiet will be coming out, and it will be a BIG launch. The person won't say whether it's barcy or something from ATI, but, they say it will be big. We shall see I guess, but take it with a grain of salt as we have been doing with everything coming from AMD lately.

I hope they can compete, the product have been good in the past and I would like to once again support the company with my hard earned cash. Until then, Core 2 for me.

the_vorlon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
The question is...

Did he jump, or was he pushed?

The guy doing the marketing at AMD has it tough because (don't take this the wrong way, Intel fans) but a few years ago the average AMD buyer was smarter (or at least better informed) than the average Intel buyer, in the sense you bought an Athlon versus a Pentium4 because you looked at benchmarks, pricing etc and concluded it was a better deal...

That all changed with the release of the Merom/Conroe/Woodscrest triplets, becauase now those same smart people are buying Intel chips because they are now a better product.

If you're the Intel marketing guy you can run more Blue Man group adds, offer more incentives to the channel, give a way more tee-Shirts, etc if your behind the technological 8 ball.. If you're the AMD guy... what do you do?

AMD's had a ton of screwups, but I think those were more technological, inventory management, and strategic decisions versus marketing woes.

I am sure he is a millionaire many times over, so I don't cry for him. he's doing ok :)

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Vorlon, I wouldn't say that buying an Athlon64 (since the base Athlons weren't better than the P4s) would have made you smarter. For example, if you had a P4 Willamette (which came out when AMD really didn't have a competative product) then were looking to upgrade your chip, you most likely could have gone to a Northwood with no other hardware changes. I definitely don't think replacing your chip and your mobo (and possibly RAM and video card) in that case would make sense (and a lot of people were in that position). Buying a chip at any point in time really doesn't make you smarter - it all depends on the situation you're in.

Anyway, the topic at hand...I wonder if they got rid of him so they can paper launch Barcy? Then they can say "No, we never said we don't do paper launches...that was that one guy...that we fired..." :).

Executives leave for lots of reasons added, but they don't leave if they're not retiring and the company is doing awesome. AMD's not dead, but it's not doing awesome - I'll bet he's got a good deal somewhere else.

They actually already have a replacement:

iraq_denial.jpg

Dots connected!

I think B.M. is going to be his replacement :ouch: :lol:

No, Sharikou(pictured above) beat him. Although BM was a finalist in the interviews.

ROFL

If Henri was not pushed, I bet it was strongly suggested he resign. Regardless of what the AMD screw-ups were(technological, inventory, or strategic) Henri was the VP of Sales and Marketing, the visible face and end-all-be-all-the-buck-stops-here of the company to the public and channel partners. Like Hector was going to take the fall for the delay of Barcelona, c'mon :sarcastic: .

WHAT?!?!?! :pt1cable: Is this to imply that today's average AMD buyer is not as smart as a few years ago for continuing to buy AMD? Is this to imply that Intel buyers were dumber that AMD buyers a few years ago?

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

...and you also said you almost had s*x with a woman on the floor three times... :whistle:

back in the ole day this would have dissolved into the same old flame wars started and carried on by the same old people. Is it just me or is this a hell of a lot more civil. Of course the OP is still that prick wonbat but hey, can't have everything.

I'd rather have debate with flamewars than cold, unbuttered, stale toast (possibly raisin toast).

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Ah well, this is what happens when theres no actual news to talk about and even the die hard fanboys wont risk pushing the BS Spec 1778 benchmarkes of the CPU simulations running at guesstimated clockspeeds anymore

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
Henri is moving to apple, but he is taking his knowledge of paper launches to apple, apple are looking for thiner electronics (every week a smaller ipod comes out) so maybe the paper ipod will be the next gen design...