Sign in with
Your question

Dual monitors on 8800GTS 640mb

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 2, 2007 4:49:33 AM

I am running dual monitors on my 8800GTS 640mb. I noticed it only has 2 options whether it spans the view or clones. I do not want it to span it beacuse everytime i maximize a window it goes across both monitors. What I want is to be able to have dual monitors where it doesn't span. The taskbar staying on monitor 1 and monitor 2 just being additional real estate. Hope it's possible because I cannot live with this spanning! lol thank you all!
September 2, 2007 5:21:16 AM

Root, I also am running dual monitors on an 8800 GTS, and have found it to be a little bit quirky. I happen to be running two CRT monitors, and I find for the best results I need to have the monitor with the higher maximum resolution set at monitor #1.

The first thing I would try is to physically switch the cable connections on the back of the card. I had the exact same problem as you, and when I switched the connections it suddenly allowed me to have "dual view" as well, not just clone or span.

Hope that helps!
September 2, 2007 5:51:55 AM

Yes you can run one as the primary monitor and the other as secondary. The primary is the monitor that games will open on. Otherwise you can move the window to whichever one you want. I'm running dualies on the same card you are. My settings are as follows (using nTune): Under Display/Set up multiple displays-1.Choose the nView Display mode to use. I have "Configured independently from each other (Dualview)

At this point you select which you want as primary. Apply settings.

Now if you want to swap which side is which go to the rightclick personalize/preferences (vista/xp) and go to display settings (the furthest on the right-tab). Now you can move 1 to where 2 it or vice-versa, apply and close. Restart and you're good to go, your settings will be saved and you'll be good to go.

Related resources
September 2, 2007 2:30:04 PM

eric54, the only options I have are these:

and when i tried switching the cords, my monitors would go blank and wouldn't come back on. i'm assuming i'd have to restart my computer
September 2, 2007 8:40:07 PM

No you shouldn't have to restart. Check your monitor settings under Windows as well as the option is also there. Bizzarre because I am running a 22inch widecreen and a 17inch as dual seperate views, and different resolutions, on the same 7600gt
September 2, 2007 9:36:01 PM

The dualview option only appeared for me after I ran the multiple display wizard. It wouldn't hurt to give it a try.
September 4, 2007 6:08:51 PM

As I said, it's a little quirky. Try the multiple display wizard as htpcgb suggested.
September 4, 2007 6:30:44 PM

Have you tried setting your monitor settings by just right clicking on the desktop and going to settings and setting one monitor to primary and extending? That is how I have my dual monitor setup and it have worked fine. If not, the vertical setting might work for you as it might limit the windows to one monitor but I'm not sure.
September 4, 2007 6:47:05 PM

I had the same problem, i was running an lcd and a crt on my 8800gts and all i had was the option for spanning or cloning...until i restarted and then it worked great. you will have to restart to get it to cough up the configure independantly of each other option. now i can configure the resolutions independant of each other, one runs at 1440x900 and the other at 1280x1024. after i re-installed winders recently i had to run the display optimization wizard and that worked great...now i can play bf2 on my lcd and have TS, MSN, xfire or BF2CC on the other monitor to keep an eye on.
!