Will a x1950 pro work with my Dell XPS 400?

ziggy639

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007

NCCReliant

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
I'd get a new PSU with better ratings on it, that Dell PS is a generic, non gaming PSU, and you might not have enough draw for the card to function like it should. You can just get by, but I wouldn't chance brown outs on the vid, it will destroy it. And if you OC your card, it would not have the load to do it with.

I'm also wondering if you have enough clearance in your case to fit the card. The 1950 is a full size vid card.

ziggy639

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
Thanks for the feedback, my video card along with 2*512 ram sticks should be arriving in a day or two. I thought I had to use the cable it came with, but now that you mentioned the "P12" connector it makes sense to me now. As for the card fitting into the case, I checked the measurements and it should be able to fit. Once the vid card comes I'll post back here on how it's running.

cmdematos

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
You will find that Dell PSUs are excellent and deliver clean amps. Wattage is not always a good indicator, and there is really no such thing as a gaming PSU, only PSU's that can and cannot deliver certain watts and amps. Most high watt PSUs are like that to support a large number of drives, dual processors, quad video cards etc. Your dell case limits you to a reasonable 4 drives, if you want more go e-sata external on external power. You wont run out of watts on your 375 watt unit.

In the future it may be best to ask this question before you buy the video card, however it seems theres no specific additional power requirements specified pertaining to your video card, its news to me that Dell PSUs are excellent and deliver clean amps these days as the former poster stated, its more like just enough power to cover the original machines hardware, so upgrading can be funneled through them, its kinda legally how they make additional money, the machine worked perfectly until the upgrade.

If the card performs flawlessly then I'd say you're lucky, if it starts freezing, locking up, or no reason blue screening, upgrade the power supply quick, so you don't damage anything, hope the best for you! Ryan

ziggy639

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
I'm not very good with computer hardware so I was unaware of the whole wattage/PSU stuff and I learned about it a day after I placed my order. I also forgot to mention that the video card says it requires atleast a 450W PSU, but I have read posts of people running high-end video cards with Dell's stock 375W PSU.

Its better to be safe than sorry, thats a 75w difference, you'd be better off if you could find the exact amp draw on the 12v rail and target satisfying those requirements.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
dells use power supplies made in bulk by pc p & c, if they are shipping heap of units and say 1 in 10 fails, that is alot more money for dell, they want something reliable.

Noya

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006

That's news to me.

1haplo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
The X1950Pro will work fine in the XPS400. I have a X1900AIW that is in my kids XPS400. No Problems at all. The power supply that Dell uses is a good power supply. Its not great by any means, But it will power a 1900XTX.

1Haplo