Sign in with
Your question

Logical drive dismounting after reboot

Last response: in Storage
December 12, 2007 12:41:06 PM

I am having an issue with a logical drive on my PC. I'll explain my setup. I have two physical hard drives in my PC. The primary has one partition, and is my C: drive. The other drive has one primary partition (my E: drive), and one extended partition. The extended partition has two logical partitions. The logical partitions are mounted to directories under the root of C: (for example, I have a 'Video Files' logical drive that is mounted to the folder 'C:\Video Files').

My issue is that one of the logical drive will dismount itself when my computer reboots. The other is fine. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

What I have done for troubleshooting (nothing resolves the issue):
- ran scans, and haven't found any issues
- tried mounting the partition to another folder
- pulled all data off of the partition, reformatted and remounted it

Once Windows has loaded, I can remount the drive and access everything normally with no issues. It is just getting annoying having to remount the partition every time I reboot.
December 12, 2007 10:25:23 PM

Extended partitions haven't been used much since Windows 2000 and above support multiple primary partitions per disk. I would try copying your data off, deleting both logical partitions and the extended partition container, and making two new primary partitions on the disk and copying the data back.
December 13, 2007 7:15:29 PM

SomeJoe7777 said:
Extended partitions haven't been used much since Windows 2000 and above support multiple primary partitions per disk. I would try copying your data off, deleting both logical partitions and the extended partition container, and making two new primary partitions on the disk and copying the data back.

I know they support them, however, that is not how I wanted to set my drive up. I have had it set up with the extended/logical partitions for over 8 months, and it just started having an issue. I'm trying to determine what could be causing in.
Related resources
!