Case Modding

NCCReliant

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
I have a case about 5 yrs old, that I love, it has removable drive bays, quick releases, etc. I don't want to get rid of this case, but this case lacks a side and top vents. So cutting to the chase.

What tools do I need to buy to start cutting, sanding, etc, so I can install a 120mm side fan, and prob a 90mm or 80mm blow hole. I never did metal work, except like 100 yrs ago when I was in JHS, lol. I will say I don't have the most steadiest hands either. I have some minor experience with leather working, so I can trace and cut, pretty neatly. I know moding a case probably isn't ment for a novice or apprentice, but I don't have much to really lose.

I did already try to look for a door to fit my case with a preinstalled fan, but couldn't find one that was compatible, and sadly, my case is pretty generic.
This is as close as I can find to what I have, it's almost exactly alike just no front door for my case http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?Image=11-125-469-13.JPG%2c11-125-469-14.JPG%2c11-125-469-11.JPG%2c11-125-469-12.JPG%2c11-125-469-15.jpg%2c11-125-469-05.jpg%2c11-125-469-07.jpg&CurImage=11-125-469-11.JPG&Depa=0&Description=CHENMING+901AD-SILVER-0+Silver+1.0mm+SECC+Server+Computer+Case+-+Retail

Looks like a full tower version of mine, good strong case, I added 2 120mm blowholes to the top and 1 120mm side fan blowing in on my video card section.

All you need is a drill, 4 1/2" metal cutting hole saw[Makes the cleanest hole] and some drill bits for the screws, mounting screws, 120mm fans, and grills, and your expertise. Good luck!

NCCReliant

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Thank you, for the leads, now to head off to Home Depot, and a church to say a prayer, so I don't screw up my case, hehe :)

Hmm... does Home Depot sell plasma cutters :p

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
all you need is a dremel with a pack of cutting wheels, grinding stone, and a drill with bits. I just blew a bigger hole in the top of my case to replace the 80mm w/ a 120mm. Just CAREFULLY measure and mark the 4 screwholes. Drill the holes. Mount the fan, and using a sharp pencil trace the inside of the fan. Remoce the fan and cut the hole. Usa a dremel grinding stone to finish the edges and buy a fan grill. The grill can cover any imperfections in the cut and at minimum distracts from it.

My cut is not perfectly round as the inside of a 120mm fan is not round. My hole is cut to perfectly fit the fan which means that my hole has flat sides and rounded corners as the fan does. I have zero restriction from the hole. Ill post a picture tomorrow if your interested.

A 114mm hole saw is probably the easiest for the cut, but then you really have to be careful about marking and cutting the mount holes. Either way, measure twice and cut once. Cause once is all you get ... hehe. Masking tape should prevent the paoint from chipping so cover the entire surface to be cut with it.