DDR2 vs DDR3 in video editing and gaming

Recian

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
I'm trying to buy a video card for my new mobo my laptop seems to run my video editing programs decently but not 100% perfect because i'm upgrading to HD blue ray kind of stuff eventually should i work on getting a 256MB DDR3 or a 512 MB DDR2 (my mobo supports SLI also) i plan to use it for now im trying to get the pc going i'd like direction, low mb DDR3 or high mb DDR2

unless he was talking about graphic DDRII and DDRIII. any card you can buy with DDRII will be very old.. and probably wont take advantage of 512mb. if your into HD movies.. check out the 8600gts.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
A "Real" 8600GT still has DDR3 not DDR2.

But the 8600GTS w/DDR3 will run much faster than a 8600GT w/DDR3.
The 8600GTS however is not worth the money usually.

The 1950pro is just as fast or faster and generally cheaper.

Recian

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Also, that 1950 uses Crossfire is there a difference between that and SLI? because that 1950 seems to be a good deal cost as much as the 8600GTS but 512 DDR3

Here's a crazy question: we're talking about a laptop here, right? How long would the battery last with an x1950pro? Are you going to play games only when your laptop is plugged in the wall outlet? I know nothing about laptops, but I thought there were special cards for them. 8700Go or something like that...

runswindows95

Distinguished
I'm wondering the same thing, aevm. If it's a laptop, good luck finding a new GPU for it. I've never seen anyone sell any of the laptop GPU's. They are only made available for OEM's. The same with DVD drives.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Very true...I'm a video editor myself...I would never recommend video editing on a laptop (ESPECIALLY hidef) unless you have a very heavy duty laptop...cheaper and better performance for a desktop on video editing.

Keep in mind just cause you have a good video card for your laptop (if you can find one) doesn't mean your performance will increase much. Video editing mostly relies on CPU and ram...of course graphics card effects it as well but no where near the level of a cpu and ram...

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Aslong as you got a mains with you then you dont need battery, I doubt he's going to do video editing while traveling on a train or something.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

I think this thread is off on the wrong tangent. You need a good video card for HD playback on a desktop system, right? Then I recommend the ATI HD2400 series or 2600 XT. These have far and away the best hardware acceleration for High Definition playback. Furthermore they support Overlay playback. This is where video playing in Media Player or the editing window on the main monitor plays fullscreen on the second monitor, even to an NTSC/PAL monitor. Memory amount isn't all that important, and maximum resolution playback takes only 24% of the GPU's reosurces and virtually NONE of the CPU's.The Nvidia 8800 series won't do this at ALL! It has no Overlay ability for "Zoom mode" in addition to not having such good hardware support for video.

Also prices, the 2400 and 2600 are $55 and $100, the 8800 is $330+. The ATI HD2900 XT at $450 does NOT have full hardware support for High Def. (yet)

TRENDING THREADS