Computer being a bitch

Joudoki

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
So, I have a Dell.
A Dell Dimension 4600i.

It works pretty well for a dell.

A year ago, I decided that a 5200fx was a piece of junk, and upped to a 7600GS.

Now, this past month, I bought some more memory - because 512mb just doesn't cut it.

Now, I bought 4 of the exact same stick - 4x512mb Kingston Valueselect DDR400 memory.

Since that time, my computer has been a bitch.

I tried testing each memory stick individually; my motherboard has four slots, so I tested each stick in DIMM1. No problems surfing the internet, not problems playing counterstrike ( the two extremely problematic areas that I had been experiencing the most crashing in )

I also tried them in pairs of two ( dual channel setup ). No problem.

I clean out the DIMM modules, as it appeared that there was some debris in the fourth module - and I put in all four.
It seemed to work for a while, but then the problems returned; firefox crashing, counterstrike crashing, and a reduced, but still present number of bluescreens.

Now, within the past few days, I've been getting more and more problems.
First, firefox wouldn't stop crashing - I did a clean uninstall and install on it, and that seemed to improve stability a bit, but it still crashed. So, I was playing counterstrike - and I crashed every time.

But now, there is another problem - my screen size keeps changing. ( not the resolution ) - the size in the way that you change with the buttons on the front of your monitor. It just keeps changing on me between two positions - normal size, and a slightly thinner size.

So tonight, I've taken out the 4th stick of RAM ( thus reverting the system to single channel setup ) - and I haven't had any problems right now.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

trencin

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
You have a Dell What'd you expect? Lol j/k man it might seem to be the mobo in the 4th slot since you say the single channel set up works just fine but when you put ram in the last slot everything messes up for you. And since you tested all the memory in the slot and all works well I think its the Dell telling you to buy some more Dell products.

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Just to see if it is your PSU, put your old 5200 back in (i think it consumes less power) and put the 4th stick in. If there are no crashes, then your psu is just running out of power.

altazi

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
If you merely executed various applications to test the RAM modules, you really didn't test them. You need to run a specific memory test program like MEMTEST86, followed by a CPU/RAM stress test like Prime95. Both programs are available for free download.

Once you have cleared the PSU as a possible source of trouble, you can do some more mixing & matching of the RAM modules, while using the MEMTEST86 & Prime95 test programs. If each of the RAM modules work individually, and two work as a dual-channel pair, but all four don't work, the RAM might present too much of a load to the memory controller's address & data line drivers. You might have success by using two larger modules instead of four smaller ones.

Regards,

Altazi

Joudoki

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
I'm fairly sure that it's not a power issue, as I've upgraded the PSU to a 350 watt. Don't happen to remember the exact specs of it, though.

I've run memtest86 on the 4-slot configuration, and it returned no errors.
I'll try this "Prime95".

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
that psu is cutting it WAY too short on the 12v rail..only 15watts?
you say you upgraded your dell one...to what another generic psu :non:

i'd say try another name brand, quality assured psu by taking it to a local pc shop or friends house or something..jeez

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Well I can confirm your psu is the problem. Performance
NVIDIA 7600GS AGP
400 MHz GPU
12 Pixel Pipelines
400 MHz RAMDAC

Memory
256 MB, 128 bit DDR2
800 MHz (effective)
12.8 GB/s Memory Bandwidth

Interface
AGP 8x
DVI-I, VGA, HDTV-7

Resolution & Refresh
240 Hz Max Refresh Rate
2048 x 1536 x 32bit x 85 Hz Max Analog
1280 x 800 @ 60Hz Max Digital

Requirements
Minimum of a 350 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 18 Amp Amps.)
An available 4-pin Molex hard drive power dongle
As you can see your card requires a minimum 350 watt psu which you have. Well all of you drives and each stick of ram all have there power requirements to.

Also notice the +12v rail requirements are 18amps. Yours is 15. So there you have it time to spend some decent cash on a good
psu.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
considering the issues run memtest...a power supply issue might also be the case..BUT..

Just because you bought the same value select sticks doesn't mean they are the same. Always buy matched kits. There might be a chance you are running a newer modules compared to the older one you had in there. This can provide compatibility issues. Try testing 2 sticks at a time with memtest. Let it run atleast a couple full tests...if they pass switch to the next pair. If one pair fails it's most likely that one older stick you had....But I might be reading this wrong if you bought four new 512 mb sticks...

If that's the case then it's probably PSU related...not having enough power for the four dimslots can cause instability...but check with memtest to make sure. Also if the dell does have a bios make sure the memory is running at the recommended voltage...if the dell even gives you that option that is.

Joudoki

Distinguished
May 21, 2006

I bought all four sticks ( 2 of 2x512mb Memory Kits ) at the same time.

So apparently, my power supply is the real culprit in my system.

Now, my question is:

Will I get better performance in the mean time if I go with 2x512mb Dual Channel, or 3x512mb Single Channel?

Also: This is my video card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125039

Also: My dad doesn't believe at all that my power supply can't run this with 15amps. He says that the memory should only draw "milliamps", with the emphasis on milli. Same with the video card.

I can't find these specifications anywhere; any help?

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Your memory might not consume much power, but if you are dangerously close to the max your psu can handle, that 4th memory stick might be just enough to push it over the edge.