Best CPU cooler for AMD XP2800+

albenza

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
I'm looking for the best cooling option for my AMD xp2800+ barton, currently it runs with stock cooling and often passes 60 degrees celcius causing my comp to reboot... .oO(Grrrr!)

I don't wan't to spend a fortune on it but I would like to be able to overclock it a bit, just for the fun of it. I'm thinking 40-50$ maximum

I've been looking on the Zalman CNPS 7000B-Cu combined with Arctic Silver 5

Any better ideas?

albenza

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
Thats not an option.. I'm going to buy a new system this winter. for now I wish to squeeze the last power out of this comp and over clock it, just to gain some experience and learn while having some fun.

I've been looking at the Zalman CNPS 7700B-Cu also, it's around 10$ more... I think I'm gonna go with that one unless anyone has any better ideas?

royalcrown

Distinguished
I use a 2800 in a closed cabinet and it never gets hot, try taking the heatsink off and cleaning off the old thermal interface material and use some new heat sink compound. Old stuff or having it on too THICK will make it hotter, you just need a paper thin amount. Me, I even use the cheap radio shack junk and mine is fine with the cabinet CLOSED 24/7.

Valdis

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007

+1. this just might solve your problems. mys isters pc had awful temperatures. and when i took the heatrsink off the thermal compund was as dry as paper. applied new thermal paste and it went down from 65 C on 100% load to 45 C.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
1. Be sure you have front intake and rear exhaust fans. You'll never get good cooling if you don't remove the hot air from the case.
2. I'd use Arctic Ceramic if I were you. You have to be careful with conductive pastes like AS5 on a bare core cpu like the 2800+. Plus, I've heard the ceramic works better. Clean off the stock heatsink and cpu well and remount with Arctic Ceramic.

You should get better cooling if you do all this. If you are still not satisfied, then get a better heatsink.

burntham77

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
Thermaltake makes one for that old socket called the "Volcano." A little noisy, but it really helped back when I had my Athlon XP 2400+.