PSU fan unconveniently blocked by case?

crazlunatic

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
I notice that the 120mm fan PSU's have fans pointing upwards.

But my current case has a part that covers the entire top part of the PC to lock the side walls of the case.

So wouldn't the fan be blocked in most cases?

crazlunatic

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
I just saw a pic. So its intake, and the hot air exists through the vent. But are you sure they are to be installed upside down? The diagram shows it installed with the intake fan face up

I don't see a link to a pic. As far as I know, PSUs are always mounted with the fan facing down. The screws that hold them in place are offset to require this mounting AFAIK. There often isn't an additional outlet fan.

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Yeah dude, they are intake and there is no outtake fan. They generally just have mesh on the back that the circulating air pushes out. I am not going to buy one of these ever again. I am sold on pcpowerandcooling supplies. See with a 120-140mm fan design the problem is that since you have that huge fan in there the height of your heatsinks is lower. Thus the ability to dissipate heat under heavy load is less. Plus if you look at the small print most of those supplies and their advertising gimmicks are tested under 25C environment which isn't realistic. PCpowerandcooling's supplies claims to performance are based under more realistic conditions: 40C.

Plus single rail seems to be the way to go. Their claim on their website about the myths of powersupplies certainly was true in my case with my x2 connect 550; one of the rails becomes tied up and isn't able to use the remaining unused amperage to help power my x1900xt. I'm going to upgrade to a silencer 750.

Good luck dude.

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Yeah dude, they are intake and there is no outtake fan. They generally just have mesh on the back that the circulating air pushes out. I am not going to buy one of these ever again. I am sold on pcpowerandcooling supplies. See with a 120-140mm fan design the problem is that since you have that huge fan in there the height of your heatsinks is lower. Thus the ability to dissipate heat under heavy load is less. Plus if you look at the small print most of those supplies and their advertising gimmicks are tested under 25C environment which isn't realistic. PCpowerandcooling's supplies claims to performance are based under more realistic conditions: 40C.

Plus single rail seems to be the way to go. Their claim on their website about the myths of powersupplies certainly was true in my case with my x2 connect 550; one of the rails becomes tied up and isn't able to use the remaining unused amperage to help power my x1900xt. I'm going to upgrade to a silencer 750.

Good luck dude.

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Yeah the guys above were right too btw, you mount those upside down. The intake is supposed to be from the case air. Plus I don't think your screws in the back would like up if you had it flipped the way you are speaking of.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
How you install it depends on your case. I have a CM Stacker RC832 case and there is a vent above where the PSU goes so mine is mounted with the PSU fan facing up. Cases without this feature require you to face it down and there are other cases which mount the PSU sideways and for those it depends on the particular model in which way it faces. The benefit of having it facing up is that you are sucking cooler air into your PSU rather than heated air from inside your case.

crazlunatic

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
I understand. ive been used to the 80mm psus that blow air out. sry for such nooby questions and thx for not flaming me at all for my noobness =D