Two supplies fried, question about why...

nerseus

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Quick history:
I've been building my own PCs for years. My kid's computer got a big upgrade about 9 months ago - including a decent 450 watt power supply. It was a highly rated one from newegg.com. Can't recall the brand offhand but - it got fried about three weeks ago.

In my main computer I use a Rosewill Turbo series RT550 - around $70 at newegg.com. Good company, good reviews, had all the power I needed in my "big" rig computer. So, I bought another one for the replacement in my kid's computer.

It was in there about 2 weeks when it got fried.

By "fried" I just mean both power supplies (one 9 months old, one only 2 weeks old, both good brands) stopped working while the computer was on. My son was playing games and right in the middle - silence. Computer loses power, won't turn back on.

So, I can get all the specs of the guts of the comp, but there's really not that much in there. It's a nice ASUS motherboard with an ATI 9800 Pro card (needs a power line for something), two SATA drives, a CD drive, a CPU fan and the basic motherboard power connectors. Nothing too overwhelming, not for a "nice" 550 watt supply. I know about the sustained cooling rate (or maybe I don't) and this PSU seems more than adequate.

So I've got the whole thing plugged into a 6 plug powerstrip (the comp's power plug, the monitor, and 2 other accessories) - and the powerstrip is a bit old.

Do you think I'm just unlucky with PSUs? I will RMA the new power supply but I'm wondering if there's some other factor? Would a UPS be beneficial? Replace my 6 plug powerstrip? Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Dan

nerseus

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
I know, lots of factors and me with a vague question.

Bottom line question is this:
From people with more experience than me, does it seem suspicious yet that two PSUs have blown so recently? I know it's very possible I've just gotten two bum PSUs. Just looking for a best guess.

My plan is still clear - RMA the PSU I have and try another one. Just wondering what else might blow a PSU that's NOT related to the PSU itself - such as a "bad" or older powerstrip that it draws its power from. Is it really possible a motherboard short could blow a PSU? Would a surge blow the PSU without blowing other components - or is it likely that a surge might only blow the PSU and not other things plugged into the same powerstrip?

I'm just looking for some helpful suggestions on what else might be at fault. I don't expect anyone to write up 3 paragraphs of info about voltages and amount of power that would be needed to cause it to blow.

Check the wiring of the house. Is the hot wire in the proper place on the outlet?
Go to Home Depot and get a outlet tester for $5.00.
Another guy had your same problems due to faulty home wiring.
Check all the outlets in your house.

smokedyou911

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
I don't think it is the power bars, I have alot in my computer room, no problems, some are at least 15 years old. By any chance your son dosen't restart his cp with the buttons on the case alot, ot hit the restart button then power button to turn it off? That will fry the psu, like what my idiot brother did.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
FYI, In general RoseWill's are not Well Made PSUs.
In fact, they are some of the worst.

Since they do not make their own but are all OEM from somebody else, so there are exceptions.

Get yourself a Corsair 450w.
More power than the RoseWill most likely and far more reliable.

Then grab some power conditioners to put in front of your Computer.

Heres a couple of suggestions

First off have an electrician check the wiring in the wall outlet if you have the skills you could do it yourself, avoid your outlet wires being just plugged into the back of the outlet, they should be bent around the securing screw and screwed in tight not plugged straight in to the back of the outlet.

Loose connections can cause enough of an electrical arc to screw up sensitive hardware, if you check it yourself make sure you kill the power to the outlet!!!

You could also have ground screws, neutral screws, and load screws, loose in the panel box, that just need to be tightened up, but if you're not an electrician stay out of the panel box and call an electrician to check it for you.

Since you say this seems restricted to the one room theres no need to have the Power Company test the voltage coming into your home, but they will test it for you if you get abnormal readings on a multimeter.

I have a friend the Power Company tested his lines and changed out his transformer feeding his home and his problems disappeared, however his problems were affecting his entire home not just one room.

Your problem could simply be the P/S brand you chose to buy, as previously mentioned RoseWill is a low end P/S.

As MrsB told you there are a lot of possibilities, and my suggestions are targeted toward the main home power possibly being the problem, and I leave you with a warning, if you're not experienced with dealing with electrical current stay out of it and call an electrician, it will kill you!