Sign in with
Your question

Does anyone know when PCI Express Version 2 compliant graphic cards wi

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 3, 2007 4:46:59 PM

When will PCI Express Release 2 compliant graphic cards will be available? Intel X38 chipsets which are PCI Express R2 compliant are due this quarter.
September 3, 2007 4:54:08 PM

The PCI Express 2.0 to the market seems to be getting late, as, despite of rumours, the first platforms to support PCIe 2.0 are projected to emerge only in the Q4 2007, along with Intel Corp.’s new server/workstation processors made using 45nm process technology. Yet, the world’s largest chipmaker has showcased PCI Express 2.0 chips.
September 3, 2007 5:00:16 PM

The PCI Express 2.0 to the market seems to be getting late, as, despite of rumours, the first platforms to support PCIe 2.0 are projected to emerge only in the Q4 2007, along with Intel Corp.’s new server/workstation processors made using 45nm process technology. Yet, the world’s largest chipmaker has showcased PCI Express 2.0
chips.
http://www.pcisig.com/specifications/pciexpress/
Related resources
September 3, 2007 5:02:11 PM

I will be building a new system- eventually, but there is no point in spending a lot of money now when PCI-E R2 compliant motherboards and graphic cards are "just around the corner". I understand PCI-E R2 doubles the bandwith of PCI-E R1. I can wait a quarter.
September 3, 2007 6:01:51 PM

Am3 is getting ready so i would wait for it to come.
September 4, 2007 4:44:00 PM

What is Am3? Do pardon my ignorance;)
September 4, 2007 5:00:46 PM

Blazingcatfur said:
I will be building a new system- eventually, but there is no point in spending a lot of money now when PCI-E R2 compliant motherboards and graphic cards are "just around the corner". I understand PCI-E R2 doubles the bandwith of PCI-E R1. I can wait a quarter.

While it is (likely) true that PCIE 2 doubles the bandwidth, most cards don't take full advantage of the bandwidth now, so it is not really worth waiting for unless you plan to get the best card available.

To answer your original question, I believe the next Nvidia cards (coming Nov 12) will be PCIe 2 compliant.
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2007 5:08:42 PM

Since PCIe 2 slots are backward compatible, it might make sense to wait and get a compliant MB and still use a PCIe 1 card for awhile until the PCIe 2 cards mature.

First Intel X38 Express Based Mainboard From Gigabyte
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboards/display/2007082...
Note that it does not say it is PCIe 2 compatible.
September 5, 2007 4:31:47 PM

Thanks Guys! Your help is appreciated!
!