Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Cannot open Properties dialog box for Add/Remove program files in Microsoft XP

Last response: in Windows XP
February 15, 2010 1:56:17 AM

Hi everyone,

If anyone can solve this problem effectively, they need to be congratulated, because I have scoured the internet for hours without success.

1. Problem: I cannot open the "Properties " Dialog box in the "Add/Remove Programs" in the Control Panel.

In Control Panel, I right-click "Add/Remove Programs" to open the "Properties" Dialog box. But, when I right-click, all that appears is "Open" and "Create Shortcut." The same goes for all the programs in the Control Panel, except a handful may display a 3rd option..."Explore." However, I can click to "Open" any of the programs in the Control Panel. My problem in this case is the "Properties "dialog box is not available. There must be a way to restore this command option.

2. Problem: It might be related in some way to Problem # 1. I cannot open "Add/Remove Windows Components" in "Add Remove/Programs."

In Control Panel, I click to open "Add/Remove Programs, and click on "Add/Remove Windows Components." It will not open. Instead, this message box appears: "Setup was unable to open information file games.inf. Contact your System Administrator. The specific error code is 0x2 at line 0." I click "OK" and the next message box reads: "The application could not be initialized."

Thank you for your assistance.

Webgirl
February 15, 2010 8:52:01 PM

I thank you for your feedback saran008. But now, here is my reply:

1. To begin with, when I click the "Start" button, I cannot find the "Settings" tab. Does it not exist in Windows XP Professional?

2. Am I imagining this or what? When you double-click on the "Add/Remove Programs" icon, is it not supposed to open up the dialog box -> Install/Uninstall->Windows Setup->Startup Disk? Are you saying that there are no "Properties" dialog boxes for Windows XP programs in the Control Panel?

3. I tried your first link for the MSFN board, but I got a 403 Forbidden Error...due to "maintenance" it seems.

4. I followed the steps in the "forevergeeks" link to try and fix the "Add/Remove Windows Components" error message. I clicked to "unhide hidden files and folders" in "Folder options," as suggested, and removed "HIDE" from three lines: "games," "pinball," and "ZoneGames," and inserted the two slashes "//" at the "start of the string." Then I saved the changes, and opened "Add/Remove Programs" again. Unfortunately, the same message reappeared: "Setup was unable to open information file games.inf. Contact your System Administrator. The specific error code is 0x2 at line 0."

5. Now, I'm also beginning to wonder if there is any connection between this problem and the fact that I cannot access 3 other applications..."Calculator, WordPad, and Paint."

Needless to say, this is most frustrating. There is bound to be a solution somewhere.

Thanks for any assistance.
Score
Related resources
February 16, 2010 5:14:33 AM

1.Settings exists in XP professional!
2.If you double click Add/remove programs, you'll get that dialog box, no prperties on right-click (First you asked for right click).
3.Now MSFN link is working! (12 hrs back it said maintenance ).
4. Seems so bad! let's see for some other fixes!
5.I've to check!
Let's hope for the best!
Score

Best solution

February 16, 2010 5:16:09 AM

This is what MSFN says!
Quote:
Well it looks like I might have answered my own question. So for those with the same problem, here is what I did:

I poked around and found a file located at c:\windows\inf\sysoc.inf. One section in particular to note is:

Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,HIDE,7
AccessUtil=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,accessor.inf,,7
CommApps=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,communic.inf,HIDE,7
MultiM=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,multimed.inf,HIDE,7
AccessOpt=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,optional.inf,HIDE,7
Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,HIDE,7
MSWordPad=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,wordpad.inf,HIDE,7
ZoneGames=zoneoc.dll,ZoneSetupProc,igames.inf,,7

I commented out the "Games=" line by putting a semicolon in front of it. Then tried again. This time it complained about pinball.inf. So I did the same thing to the pinball line. It also complained about igames.inf, so I commented out the igames line as well. That section now looks like this:

;Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,HIDE,7
;Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,HIDE,7
;ZoneGames=zoneoc.dll,ZoneSetupProc,igames.inf,,7

And now I am able to access the add/remove windows components program (incidentally the program can be executed from the command line as sysocmgr.exe.)
February 16, 2010 5:37:22 AM

1. I would suggest you to do a repair XP with your OS disk!
Boot from your OS disk & Repair XP! Seems you are having a lot of problems in Windows XP!

2. May be your system is infected with some virus/malware!
Download & Install the following 3 freewares. It forms a free complete security suite for your system!
1. Avira Anvivir - http://www.free-av.com/en/download/index.html .
Avira has very good internet security, real time updates, great overall protection.

2. Malwarebytes - http://www.malwarebytes.org/ .
Malwarebytes is one of the best malware scanners.

3. Ccleaner - http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download .
Ccleaner is a great all purpose tool. The most useful tool is probably the registry cleaner.

The Best Security combo for all types of systems.
Do Complete scan & remove threats!
Score
February 17, 2010 4:55:40 PM

Double clicking on add/remove programs will only bring up the list of installed programs. It won't bring up any dialogue box.

Since you've ran the majorgeeks registry cleaner in your other thread, have you tried to get back into the add/remove windows components?
Score
February 17, 2010 5:07:06 PM

saran008?

You have the right answer! The semicolon trick worked! It's time to pop a bottle of Champagne everybody that can benefit from this.

Thank you so much!

Quote:

Well it looks like I might have answered my own question. So for those with the same problem, here is what I did:

I poked around and found a file located at c:\windows\inf\sysoc.inf. One section in particular to note is:

Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,HIDE,7
Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,HIDE,7
ZoneGames=zoneoc.dll,ZoneSetupProc,igames.inf,,7

I commented out the "Games=" line by putting a semicolon in front of it. Then tried again. This time it complained about pinball.inf. So I did the same thing to the pinball line. It also complained about igames.inf, so I commented out the igames line as well. That section now looks like this:

;Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,HIDE,7
;Pinball=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,pinball.inf,HIDE,7
;ZoneGames=zoneoc.dll,ZoneSetupProc,igames.inf,,7

And now I am able to access the add/remove windows components program (incidentally the program can be executed from the command line as sysocmgr.exe.)
Score
February 17, 2010 5:09:09 PM

Best answer selected by webgirl.
Score
February 17, 2010 11:42:39 PM

Just thought I'd return to reply to aford10's question:

aford10 said:
Double clicking on add/remove programs will only bring up the list of installed programs. It won't bring up any dialogue box.

Since you've ran the majorgeeks registry cleaner in your other thread, have you tried to get back into the add/remove windows components?

The "Add/Remove Windows Components" did not open after the Registry Repair, but, this was understandable enough, when you think that the Registry Repair program would not have been able to insert a semicolon before the troublesome "games.info" message box, etc.

I might as well mention this: when I finally opened "Add/Remove Windows Components" today after following saran008's message, I clicked to open "Accessories," and there were the "Calculator" and the "Paint" applications. After following instructions for "installation," a message box appeared saying I needed the CD-ROM disc to complete the process. Well, as I mentioned in my other thread "Cannot access Calculator, Paint and WordPad...," this problem was resolved in other ways.

Thanks everyone!
Score
February 18, 2010 12:44:12 AM

Thanks for selecting mine as Best answer :) 

You are always welcome to this forum with any kind of system problems! :) 
We are here to help you any time :) 
Score
Anonymous
May 18, 2010 12:10:01 AM

saran008 said:
1. You won't get properties tab on Add/Remove programs! only Open/Create Shortcut will come!

2. For Add/remove programs not opening,Please check these links.It will solve your problem!
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=115851
http://forevergeeks.com/addremove-windows-component-err...

Hi, saran

I had this same problem, but I don't have any games on my computer. I was trying to access 'Add/Remove Window Components' so that I could try and enable 'Paint' again, and maybe other Accessory programs of that sort. Do you know how I would need to rewrite my sysoc.inf document (btw, it doesn't have the extension in it's name, but i'm guessing it isn't too much of a big deal) if i don't have any of these games on my computer?

Here's a copy of the text in that document for my computer.

[Version]
Signature = "$Windows NT$"
DriverVer=07/01/2001,5.1.2600.5512

[Components]
K=KOC.dll,KOCSetupProc,KOC.inf,HIDE,7
NtComponents=ntoc.dll,NtOcSetupProc,,4
WBEM=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,wbemoc.inf,hide,7
Display=desk.cpl,DisplayOcSetupProc,,7
NetOC=netoc.dll,NetOcSetupProc,netoc.inf,,7
msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7
WMAccess=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,wmaccess.inf,,7
IEAccess=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,ieaccess.inf,,7
OEAccess=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,oeaccess.inf,,7
WMPOCM=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,wmpocm.inf,,7
Freestyle=medctroc.dll,MedCtrOCISetupProc,medctroc.inf,HIDE,7
XUpdatePack = ocgen.dll,OcEntry,XUDPack.inf,HIDE,7
Flash = ocgen.dll,OcEntry,flash.inf,HIDE,7
MicrosoftUpdateEngine = ocgen.dll,OcEntry,mu.inf,HIDE,7
WGAV = ocgen.dll,OcEntry,wgav.inf,HIDE,7
WGAN = ocgen.dll,OcEntry,wgan.inf,HIDE,7
nLite = ocgen.dll,OcEntry,nLite.inf,HIDE,7

[Global]
WindowTitle=%WindowTitle%
WindowTitle.StandAlone="*"

[Strings]
WindowTitle="Windows Professional Setup"
WindowTitle_Standalone="Windows Components Wizard"

; Customized by nLite - www.nliteos.com

I hope you can help me!

Thanks~

Losi
Score
May 23, 2011 3:48:01 AM

saran008 said:
This is what MSFN says!
Quote:

sysocmgr.exe

That brings up a Windows XP Setup window which has a BIG RED circle and a white X in the middle
stating "Invalid program arguments were specified."

I do believe you are leaving out something in the command line.
Score
May 24, 2011 4:26:18 AM

This topic has been closed by Buwish
Score
!