owners of q6600 @ 3.2+Ghz on air - What are your specs?

I'm curious as to what people have their q6600's at. A lot of people stop at 3Ghz but I want to know about those who've gone further, on air ONLY, and what your voltages are? Just copy/paste the setup below and put your specs in accordingly. For Speed, PLEASE put the total Ghz with fsb x multiplier: 3.2Ghz - 400x8, 3.2Ghz - 356x9, etc...

Motherboard: Asus P5B-Deluxe

Speed: 3.2Ghz (8x400)

CPU vcore: 1.3375v
FSB vcore: 1.3v
NB vcore: 1.45v
SB vcore: 1.057v

Prime 95: 24hrs

Temps:
Idle: 38,36,35,35
Load: 58,56,55,54


Thanks!
69 answers Last reply
More about owners q6600 specs
  1. OK... I'll bite:

    Motherboard: DFI LP P35 T2R, with the extra heat pipe installed on the CPU/NB and out the back of the case.

    Speed: 3.2Ghz: (8x400)

    CPU vcore: 1.28 (1.25 was default)
    FSB vcore: Auto
    NB vcore: Auto
    SB vcore: Auto

    idle/load temps: Around 32c at idle, P95 test 2 stabilizes at around 57c and sits there as long as I care to run the test. Like I mentioned earlier, I have the extra heat pipe that comes with this mobo set up to help with the CPU/Northbridge. The CPU cooler is a pretty pedestrian Zalman 9500, which is aimed at the exhaust fan and assisted by a side fan blowing cool air on the RAM and CPU Cooler intake area. The Northbridge runs a little warm (in the mid 40's), but has never exceeded 50. So I left the stock heat sinks alone. They're bolted on tho, so I may take them off and replace whatever grease is in there (if any) with the good stuff...

    This was actually a stupidly easy overclock. The only thing that gave me any trouble at all was that this combination doesn't like running the 4 1GB DIMMS of DDR2 1066 I have at the rated 1066. 2 DIMMS at 1066/5/5/5/15 (and a bit higher) were fine. But with four?? I can set the dividers up and run all 4 at 1000Mhz at 2.2 volts with good stability. But it doesnt' like going any further than that without pushing stupidly hard. Since I intend on using this comp until Neph becomes available I just set the memory at 800 (1:1), tightened the timings a bit, dropped memory voltage to 1.9 for insurance, and declared victory. At those settings, the DIMMS remain just barely warm to the touch.


    Quite frankly, for a while I was concerned about not enough voltage here, there, and in the other spot. Or if my timings were off, or *something* wrong. So I would sit and think about what I should change. But then pragmatism sets in and I leave it alone. Don't break what isn't, yah??
  2. It'll run P95 test 2 overnight...

    And yes - Voltages were what I alluded to when I said I kept thinking I should change X, Y, and/or Z. I probably just got a lucky combination of board and proc, is all. Decided it'd be best to not complain. :D
  3. Stepping: G0

    Speed: 3.6Ghz @ 450 x 8

    Motherboard: Asus P5K Deluxe Wi/Fi

    CPU Vcore: 1.440
    FSB Term:1.3
    NB:1.4
    SB:1.05

    Temps: Ambient = 22c
    Idle: CPU = 28c | Hottest Core = 37c
    Load: CPU = 60c | Hottest Core = 72c

    Cooler: ZeroTherm BTF90

    Prime95 Small FFT's stable @ 12 hours.
  4. Intel Q6600 B3 @ 3.2GHz Noctua NH-U9F heatsink 1000rpm fan.
    GA-965P-DS3 Rev. 3.3, Noctua NC-U6 Northbridge Heatsink.

    Room temp : 25°C
    Northbridge temp : idle: 35°C, Load: 40°C

    CPU voltage set in BIOS : 1.425v
    CPU voltage seen in CPU-Z : 1.3825v on idle, 1.3844 on load

    CPU temp idle : 35°C, cores: 48/48/50/51°C
    CPU temp load: 52°C, cores: 66/67/68/70°C

    Prime95 stable for 6 hours.

    Northbridge voltage : ???
    FSB voltage : ???
    SB voltage : ???

    In BIOS i set FSB voltage +0.1v and g(MCH) voltage +0.1v

    But how do i see those actual voltages ? they aren't mentioned/showed in BIOS (PC Health or any other sections). Does Everest or any softwares you know can show their voltages ?
  5. just put the +0.1's in the voltage places in your post. On gigabyte boards, no real way to see them. I think the MCH is NB. Anyone?
  6. Motherboard: Asus P5B

    Speed: Q6600 G0 - 3.3Ghz(3.280ghz CPUID) (9x365) w/ Arctic Freezer Pro 7

    CPU vcore: 1.42v
    FSB vcore: 1.3v
    NB vcore: no setting in bios
    SB vcore: no setting in bios

    Prime 95: 12hrs

    Idle temps: Core 1/2: 38-42c Core 3/4: 32-36c
    Full load: Core 1/2: 58-65c Core 3/4: 52-58c
  7. Asus P5K-E

    Q6600 G0 @ 3.6 (400x9)

    CPU vCore: 1.416
    FSB Term: 1.3
    NB vCore: 1.4
    SB vCore: 1.05

    TRUE 120 + Ultra Kaze

    8 Hours Small FFT, 12 Hours Blend.

    59C max Core temp - 23C Room
  8. Gigiabyte P35-DS4

    Q6600 G0 @ 3.2 (356 x9)

    VID 1.3125 V
    BIOS cpu voltage 1.30625 V
    CPUZ core voltage 1.248 V

    Thermalright Ultima 90 w/ pabst 3412 92mm PVM

    Load - max 50/50/48/47 C

    ambient ~25 C

    When people are reporting their cpu Vcore, are they providing the BIOS setting or reported cpu vcore from an app like CPUZ?
  9. well i personally havnt tried 3.2 ghz but..

    Q6600 G0 @ 3.6 401x 9

    VID 1.2250v
    Bios cpu voltage 1.2875v
    Asus P5K deluxe
    Tuniq Tower 120 (peak 56c)
  10. Motherboard: BFG 680i (not LT)

    Stepping : B3
    Zalman 9500 cooler with AS5
    no lapping on CPU IHS or on cooler

    Speed: 3.3Ghz (9x366)

    CPU vcore: 1.375v
    NB vcore: 1.40v

    Prime 95: stopped testing after 4 hrs


    Hottest Core temps
    Idle: 36-37c
    Load: 65c
  11. 3.24ghz 360x9

    VID 1.2500v
    CPU 1.3000v (Bios)
    FSBT 1.3v
    NB 1.3v
    SB 1.05v

    idle 28 load 48

    57/56/50/53 (100% prime load)

    (hopefully soon to be lower with 120 extreme)
  12. CompuTronix said:
    Stepping: G0

    Speed: 3.6Ghz @ 450 x 8

    Motherboard: Asus P5K Deluxe Wi/Fi

    CPU Vcore: 1.440
    FSB Term:1.3
    NB:1.4
    SB:1.05

    Temps: Ambient = 22c
    Idle: CPU = 28c | Hottest Core = 37c
    Load: CPU = 60c | Hottest Core = 72c

    Cooler: ZeroTherm BTF90

    Prime95 Small FFT's stable @ 12 hours.


    Wouldn't running at 9x400FSB be a little better heat/voltage wise on all the components? I'm just a nub so correct me.
  13. Q6600 G0 @ 3.4 425x8
    VID: 1.275
    Vcore: 1.375
    Idle: 36-40C
    Load:60-65C


    Prime95 Blend Torture test for 9Hrs.
  14. Which is better: 3400@ 425x8 or 378x9?
    Which setting will use the least voltage and would be most stable in the long run?
  15. from what ive read 378x9 is better, lower FSB requiring less voltage
  16. Mine:

    3.15GHz
    VID: 1.325V
    9X350

    Idle 35C-40C
    Load: ~65C
  17. bildo123 said:
    Wouldn't running at 9x400FSB be a little better heat/voltage wise on all the components? I'm just a nub so correct me.

    Yes, running 9x400 would be a better idea. Performance wise, there is no difference, only in memory benchmarks.

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3184

    It explains it somewhere in there, too lazy to look.
  18. Well, I decided to keep the 425x8 because it provides me with the best frequency for my ram, 1064 @ 4-4-4-12. I was prime stable at 1.375v so now I'm lowing the voltage to 1.362 to see if its still stable. For those using Ballistix Tracers PC8500, running around 1064 @ 4-4-4-12 will require you to up the voltage to 2.3v; at 2.2 its not prime stable. I just bought an OCZ ram cooler which helps with the heat, recommended for anyone running ram >2.2v because they do get hot.

    I will report back to see if 1.362v is prime stable for 8hrs.

    By the way, going from 1.375 to 1.362v reduces my idle and load by an average of 4-5C.
  19. papasmurf211 said:
    well i personally havnt tried 3.2 ghz but..

    Q6600 G0 @ 3.6 401x 9

    VID 1.2250v
    Bios cpu voltage 1.2875v
    Asus P5K deluxe
    Tuniq Tower 120 (peak 56c)



    im sorry but i call bs on that... 1.28 is too low for an oc like that
  20. maverick7 said:
    im sorry but i call bs on that... 1.28 is too low for an oc like that


    I dunno, I've seen crazy voltages on the GOs...could be quite possible

    besides what reason does he have to lie?
  21. PlasticSashimi said:
    I dunno, I've seen crazy voltages on the GOs...could be quite possible

    besides what reason does he have to lie?

    Nah, those voltages are too low. I'll need to see a screen shot of CPUZ. Perhaps he said something wrong.
  22. Alrite, I'm prime stable for 8hrs at 1.362v running at 3.4Ghz. I think i'll keep this overclock until I get my Zalman Reserator 1 v2 next week. Hopefully with that I can overclock to 4.0Ghz and also my 8800gtx to 640/1100.
  23. vagetaqtd said:
    Alrite, I'm prime stable for 8hrs at 1.362v running at 3.4Ghz. I think i'll keep this overclock until I get my Zalman Reserator 1 v2 next week. Hopefully with that I can overclock to 4.0Ghz and also my 8800gtx to 640/1100.

    4GHz is too hard to do on air. Even the best air-cooling, the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme can't do it.
  24. Evilonigiri said:
    4GHz is too hard to do on air. Even the best air-cooling, the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme can't do it.


    The Zalman Reserator 1 v2 is an external water cooling unit. I getting one for free next week along with a 8800GTX water block. I don't know if I should hook up the GPU water block as well because I'm pretty sure it will void my lifetime warranty.

    So if I am able to clock it at 3.8-4GHz watercooled, with maybe 1.4v, would it be safe to run it 24/7?
  25. vagetaqtd said:
    The Zalman Reserator 1 v2 is an external water cooling unit. I getting one for free next week along with a 8800GTX water block. I don't know if I should hook up the GPU water block as well because I'm pretty sure it will void my lifetime warranty.

    So if I am able to clock it at 3.8-4GHz watercooled, with maybe 1.4v, would it be safe to run it 24/7?

    I'm not sure about that water-cooling, but the best air-cooling beats most WC that costs under $300.

    The lowest voltage I have seen for 3.6Ghz used for 24/7 is 1.4v. If you want to hit 3.8GHz, you'll probably have to do 1.45V or higher.
  26. I'm running 3.6 GHz, vCore is set to 1.45v (which reads as 1.444v in BIOS). 39*C idle, which reads as 1.440 in CPU-Z. 67*C full load, which reads 1.392 CPU-Z. I'm using a Zalman 9700 NT with Arctic Silver 5. I may or may not be able to go lower on the Vcore, but at this point it runs rock stable in Prime95 (both blend and small FFTs), so I really don't want to mess with it. It took 3 days to get it dialed in.

    Some of these OCs seem totally bogus to me. To go above 3.4 GHz, you need to be running at 1.3v minimum (BIOS setting). If you're running at 3.6 GHz on air, your temps are going to be in the 60s, period, regardless of what solution you have (unless you have the stock heat sink, in which case you'll melt).
  27. jjblanche said:
    I'm running 3.6 GHz, vCore is set to 1.45v (which reads as 1.444v in BIOS). 39*C idle, which reads as 1.440 in CPU-Z. 67*C full load, which reads 1.392 CPU-Z. I'm using a Zalman 9700 NT with Arctic Silver 5. I may or may not be able to go lower on the Vcore, but at this point it runs rock stable in Prime95 (both blend and small FFTs), so I really don't want to mess with it. It took 3 days to get it dialed in.

    Some of these OCs seem totally bogus to me. To go above 3.4 GHz, you need to be running at 1.3v minimum (BIOS setting). If you're running at 3.6 GHz on air, your temps are going to be in the 60s, period, regardless of what solution you have (unless you have the stock heat sink, in which case you'll melt).



    agreed....I had lots of luck with stability. Successful boots @ 3.0, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.533, 3.6.....all no problems
    Different RAM and FSB clock...linked mem...unlinked mem...only a few combinations didn't work out. All below @ or below 1.425v

    But the temps were never standable over 3.3ghz....Next time I do a big overhaul I'll lap everything and try to control the heat.
  28. Don't lap anything...waste of time. Just get a high quality heat sink and a high flow case (for example, I'm using the aforementioned Zalman in an Antec 900 with the two optional fans...450+ CFM).
  29. I'm not even going to touch the ignorance in the last 3 posts..

    But let me just say, there is a thing called VID. The lower the better. BIOS setting <> Windows Setting. BIOS has jack crap to do with real voltage (it's the VID setting, vOffset comes into play). I know someone who does 3.6 GHz at 1.288 load vCore.



    Check that out, under 60C with air cooling.

    Also, lapping can help a ton. At the same time it might do nothing. It all depends on the skill of the person and the relative fit of the heatsink and IHS.
  30. Asus P5k-e wifi

    Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.6GHz,
    FSB: 400x9

    vCore: 1.288v Load Prime95
    vCore: 1.304v Idle
    vCore: 1.325 Bios

    Idle Temps: 36c
    Load Temps: 58c Hottest core 12hr Prime 95

    I use the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Heatsink(no lapping) with 2 of the blue fans that the antec 900 comes with.


  31. wirelessfender, whats the VID on your Q6600?
    nice voltages, im getting 3.24 on 1.3v bios, just waiting to get a TRUE before i go for 3.6
  32. Here is mine

    DFI LP TR2 P35

    3.6GHz on 1.232v CPUz Bios 1.2375v

    During Prime95 13h Small FFT


    Completion




    Currently Testing the processor on Stock Voltage 1.184v at 3.4GHz when completed I will post a screen shot.
  33. goodie said:
    wirelessfender, whats the VID on your Q6600?
    nice voltages, im getting 3.24 on 1.3v bios, just waiting to get a TRUE before i go for 3.6


    Its 1.225, it shows it in the coretemp window.


    But my goodness obe-one, I though I had an amazing VID O_O.
  34. i've just noticed it, sorry.
    thats some chip obe's got!
  35. Yep.. I wish I had a better VID, but I can't complain too much.

    Mine was 1.2875 and I've seen some as high as 1.3250.

    I must admit 1.2000 is the lowest I've seen. You won the lottery!
  36. Yes Guys I am really pleased with this processor I had another with a VID of 1.225v and could do 3.6GHz on 1.30v and 3.8GHz on 1.41v, but this is in a class of its own. Actually there a quite a few Batch# with a VID of 1.2000v.

    I think I can squeeze a little more out of it, it is currently 4.5h into Prime on 1.184v at 3.4GHz and that will probably be the specs to run during summer. I will post a screen shot on completion.

    After the stock voltage test I will do a 3.8GHz run and post a screen shot for all to see. For those who are looking for a Q6600, look for one that has a low VID, though this does not guarantee a good Over Clocker, what it does it allows you to do is to start from low voltages and reach a higher speed with lower voltages.
    Sure there are some Q6600 which have a VID of 1.325v that can do 3.6GHz, but many fail because folks do not have adequate cooling and therefore back off.
  37. cnumartyr said:
    I'm not even going to touch the ignorance in the last 3 posts..

    But let me just say, there is a thing called VID. The lower the better. BIOS setting <> Windows Setting. BIOS has jack crap to do with real voltage (it's the VID setting, vOffset comes into play). I know someone who does 3.6 GHz at 1.288 load vCore.

    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/cnumartyr/p353600mhz30minutes.jpg

    Check that out, under 60C with air cooling.

    Also, lapping can help a ton. At the same time it might do nothing. It all depends on the skill of the person and the relative fit of the heatsink and IHS.


    OK, cnum, I'll accept that. But I'd like to ask a few questions. How long have you run Prime95 at that setting? Also, I'm far more concerned with what CPU-Z is reporting at idle, not at load.
  38. jjblanche said:
    OK, cnum, I'll accept that. But I'd like to ask a few questions. How long have you run Prime95 at that setting? Also, I'm far more concerned with what CPU-Z is reporting at idle, not at load.


    First - My chip isn't anything near impressive. Check out Wireless's and Obe's. Second - 10 Minutes is the general consensus as far as the point of saturation for a chip (the heat buildup).





    1.416 Idle, 1.400 Load. That's a 10 hour Small FFT test.
  39. Quad 6600 at 3.2GHz (400x8)
    IP35-Pro board
    2G Corsair PC6400 1:1 with FSB
    GE Force 8800GT 512 Video
    (2) Western Digital SATA 500GB Drives
    Sony SATA DVD/CDRW
    (5) 80mm Case Fans
    750W Thermaltake PSU
    Cool temps and great performance!

    Rig idles @ 38-40*C and runs 42* in normal use, with OEM Intel HSF.
  40. Hello everyone. I'm another one of these people that is new to the whole overclocking scene but am trying to get the most out of my setup as possible. So far I've been able overclock my Q6600 to 3.0Ghz without a problem. What I'm wondering is, what more can I get out of it because this overclock has hardly added anything to the temps of my CPU and motherboard (apart from maybe 2 degrees).

    Anyway, I have an ASUS P5N-e with Q6600 and a Thermaltake heatsink and fan.
    Using different poeplese guides around forums, I've change the following details to overclock the Q6600 to 3.0Ghz:

    FSB Memory Clock Mode : Unlinked
    FSB (QDR) Mhz : 1333
    MEM (DDR) Mhz : 667
    Vcore Voltage : 1.325
    Memory Voltage : 2.085
    NB COre Voltage : 1.393
    VCore offset Voltage : Auto
    LDT Frequency : 3x
    And Memory Timings set to 5, 5, 5, 18, 2x

    I was amazed with the performance increase I got and as the temps haven't really changed that much I sure I can get it up to 3.2Ghz or maybe even 3.4Ghz running stabily. My cpu is the G0 model by the way and I'm running bios 0608.

    Can anyone pass in some advice as to what I could change to achieve those speeds?

    Thanks so much for all of your help.
  41. Just keep going until you can't go any higher on the voltage (ie: less than 1.5v idle CPU-Z), or the temps max out (ie: 75*C full load, hottest core, cooltemp) You'd probably want those maxes to be about 1.45v and 71*C to be safe. I'm at 1.392v full load @ 67.5*C, 3.6GHz
  42. Thanks JJBlanche. What do you use to monitor the CPU temps?
    I'm currently using ASUS Probe II and even on full load my CPU doesn't get much higher than mid 50's at 3.0GHz but I'm not sure how reliable it is.
  43. diddler1979 said:
    Thanks JJBlanche. What do you use to monitor the CPU temps?
    I'm currently using ASUS Probe II and even on full load my CPU doesn't get much higher than mid 50's at 3.0GHz but I'm not sure how reliable it is.


    Asus Probe is measuring Tcase, which is about 10-15C cooler than the hottest Core. Your cores could be anywhere from 55-65C. Download Speedfan (link in the sticky at the top of the forum).
  44. Thanks cnumartyr. Btw, how have you managed to clock your Q6600 at 3.89 and keep it stable :). I'd just be happy with 3.2 or 3.4 but that is impressive.
  45. diddler1979 said:
    Thanks cnumartyr. Btw, how have you managed to clock your Q6600 at 3.89 and keep it stable :). I'd just be happy with 3.2 or 3.4 but that is impressive.


    It's benchmark stable. The highest I can get 24/7 Prime95 stable is 3.75 GHz. I peak at about 70C on the cores at that point. I run it 24/7 at 3.6 GHz so I can turn the fans down a bit and have a quieter PC.
  46. cnumartyr said:
    It's benchmark stable. The highest I can get 24/7 Prime95 stable is 3.75 GHz. I peak at about 70C on the cores at that point. I run it 24/7 at 3.6 GHz so I can turn the fans down a bit and have a quieter PC.


    Any chance I could pester you for your setup cos that sounds mighty impressive.

    My P5N-E won't give me as much options to amend as later boards but you can see the typical options I have from a few posts earlier.
  47. Even if I gave you the exact setup it's not going to work the same on your board with your chip.

    Just go in steps, you know how to OC. My only advice is that when going above 333 MHz Bus to get the CPU stable at 3.0 GHz. Then when you go to 360 or so MHz, use an 8x multiplier so you know the CPU is stable and get the board stable. Then move to 9x once the board is stable and then get the CPU stable. Repeat over and over.
  48. No worries cnumartyr. I wish I new more about OCing that you give me credit for :).

    I'm going to try and set the FSB up to 1468MHz and DDR2 up to 734MHz for a bus speed of 367MHz and 3.3GHz clock but all of this will be with the Multiplier set to 9.

    How does adjusting the Multiplier to 8 change those settings?

    I'm sorry to pester you guys but the whole OCing scene has got me really interested at the moment.
  49. diddler1979 said:
    No worries cnumartyr. I wish I new more about OCing that you give me credit for :).

    I'm going to try and set the FSB up to 1468MHz and DDR2 up to 734MHz for a bus speed of 367MHz and 3.3GHz clock but all of this will be with the Multiplier set to 9.

    How does adjusting the Multiplier to 8 change those settings?

    I'm sorry to pester you guys but the whole OCing scene has got me really interested at the moment.


    Here's my thing on it, and no this has nothing to do with your specific situation. Just in general.

    When OCing you are changing 3 things, the board (NB), the CPU, and the RAM. If you OC all at the same time you may not know what is causing an instability. If the RAM is rated at DDR2-800 and you have it stable there, that eliminates the first "problem." Now that the RAM is out you have the NB and CPU left. If you know the CPU is stable at 3.0 GHz and the board is stable at 333 MHz (333x9 = 3.0 GHz) then you can go to 375x8 (3.0 GHz). You know the CPU is stable, so any instability is likely the cause of the board. The RAM is in 1:1 so is running below spec (750 MHz) and the CPU is running where it has been stable.

    You use smaller increments obviously, but this helps eliminate some of the guesswork. If you KNOW it's the NB, or RAM, or CPU it becomes much easier to fix. As an example, I know that 3.6 GHz (400x9) is solid on my board. So when I go for 450 MHz Bus I back the CPU down to 8x and leave the voltage the same. Since I've had the RAM stable at DDR2-1066 running it at DDR2-900 is no problem. That let me get the board stable at 450 MHz and then go back and work on the CPU stability up to 3.89 GHz (433 MHz Bus).

    Edit: Short answer: Changing the multiplier will drop the CPU speed letting you know if the board is stable.

    As a side note, the most IMPORTANT thing you can have as an overclocker... is patience.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Motherboards Overclocking