Added RAM - What should PageFile size be?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

I've just increased my RAM from 512 MB to 768 MB.

I went to the Virtual Memory settings via System Properties and chose
System Managed Size.

The info now says:

Total paging file size for all drives: 1151 MB

and:

Minimum allowed: 2 MB
Recommended: 1150 MB
Currently Allocated: 1151 MB

Is this OK?
Is there anything else I need do now that I've added extra RAM?

Thankyou in advance,

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
More about added pagefile size
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    In news:43plc1d0hkgsao58g6pfkuf42qhkqld4ja@4ax.com,
    John Latter <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> typed:

    > I've just increased my RAM from 512 MB to 768 MB.
    >
    > I went to the Virtual Memory settings via System Properties and
    > chose
    > System Managed Size.
    >
    > The info now says:
    >
    > Total paging file size for all drives: 1151 MB
    >
    > and:
    >
    > Minimum allowed: 2 MB
    > Recommended: 1150 MB
    > Currently Allocated: 1151 MB
    >
    > Is this OK?

    OK. Yes. It's also almost certainly considerably more than you
    need.

    Read the late MVP Alex Nichol's article "Virtual Memory in
    Windows XP
    " at http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > Is there anything else I need do now that I've added extra RAM?
    >
    > Thankyou in advance,
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've just increased my RAM from 512 MB to 768 MB.
    >
    > I went to the Virtual Memory settings via System Properties and chose
    > System Managed Size.
    >
    > The info now says:
    >
    > Total paging file size for all drives: 1151 MB
    >
    > and:
    >
    > Minimum allowed: 2 MB
    > Recommended: 1150 MB
    > Currently Allocated: 1151 MB
    >
    > Is this OK?
    > Is there anything else I need do now that I've added extra RAM?
    Yes, quit worrying about the size of the pagefile.
    Jim
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've just increased my RAM from 512 MB to 768 MB.
    >
    > I went to the Virtual Memory settings via System Properties and chose
    > System Managed Size.
    >
    > The info now says:
    >
    > Total paging file size for all drives: 1151 MB
    >
    > and:
    >
    > Minimum allowed: 2 MB
    > Recommended: 1150 MB
    > Currently Allocated: 1151 MB
    >
    > Is this OK?
    > Is there anything else I need do now that I've added extra RAM?
    >
    > Thankyou in advance,
    >
    > --
    >
    > John Latter
    >
    > Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
    > homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    > http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
    >
    > 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
    > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech

    256 more isn't going to make much of a difference.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Just FYI - I've got 1 gB of RAM and have been working just fine with no
    pagefile at all for several months. Recently I got a virtual memory error
    while playing a game - so I set it to 500 mB and it worked fine.

    Open all the apps that you think you could ever want to use together and
    check the pagefile utilization in Task Manager. Add a little for a fudge
    factor and you'll be good.

    "John Latter" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've just increased my RAM from 512 MB to 768 MB.
    >
    > I went to the Virtual Memory settings via System Properties and chose
    > System Managed Size.
    >
    > The info now says:
    >
    > Total paging file size for all drives: 1151 MB
    >
    > and:
    >
    > Minimum allowed: 2 MB
    > Recommended: 1150 MB
    > Currently Allocated: 1151 MB
    >
    > Is this OK?
    > Is there anything else I need do now that I've added extra RAM?
    >
    > Thankyou in advance,
    >
    > --
    >
    > John Latter
    >
    > Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    > http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
    >
    > 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > 256 more isn't going to make much of a difference.

    That would depend greatly on whether or not the system was currently
    frequently paging. There is certainly not enough information to make any
    assessment in that direction as yet. If paging was light, or non-existent,
    then adding ram will have no effect on performance. If there was moderate to
    heavy use of the pagefile, then adding the ram may help light the virtual
    memory load.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Nog" <nognog@adelphia.net> wrote in message

    > "John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've just increased my RAM from 512 MB to 768 MB.
    >>
    >> I went to the Virtual Memory settings via System Properties and chose
    >> System Managed Size.
    >>
    >> The info now says:
    >>
    >> Total paging file size for all drives: 1151 MB
    >>
    >> and:
    >>
    >> Minimum allowed: 2 MB
    >> Recommended: 1150 MB
    >> Currently Allocated: 1151 MB
    >>
    >> Is this OK?
    >> Is there anything else I need do now that I've added extra RAM?
    >>
    >> Thankyou in advance,
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> John Latter
    >>
    >> Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
    >> homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    >> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
    >>
    >> 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
    >> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech
    >
    > 256 more isn't going to make much of a difference.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    No.

    Open your normal applications and USE them. Then check your page pile usage
    while they are being used. Having PhotoShop open, without rendering a photo
    is not the same as just opening PhotoShop.

    Try rendering a video and using Internet Explorer at the same time. Check
    your usage - if you can even get Task Manager to open.

    I have 1.5 gig of RAM and have seen over 650 meg of pagefile used under
    certain circumstances (working with AutoCAD).

    It is best to leave the pagefile on system managed. Let the system adjust it
    as needed.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    "usasma" <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Just FYI - I've got 1 gB of RAM and have been working just fine with no
    > pagefile at all for several months. Recently I got a virtual memory error
    > while playing a game - so I set it to 500 mB and it worked fine.
    >
    > Open all the apps that you think you could ever want to use together and
    > check the pagefile utilization in Task Manager. Add a little for a fudge
    > factor and you'll be good.
    >
    > "John Latter" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've just increased my RAM from 512 MB to 768 MB.
    >>
    >> I went to the Virtual Memory settings via System Properties and chose
    >> System Managed Size.
    >>
    >> The info now says:
    >>
    >> Total paging file size for all drives: 1151 MB
    >>
    >> and:
    >>
    >> Minimum allowed: 2 MB
    >> Recommended: 1150 MB
    >> Currently Allocated: 1151 MB
    >>
    >> Is this OK?
    >> Is there anything else I need do now that I've added extra RAM?
    >>
    >> Thankyou in advance,
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> John Latter
    >>
    >> Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
    >> homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    >> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
    >>
    >> 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
    >> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Never leave the pagefile disabled, regardless of whether or not you are
    using it. Many programs will expect it to be there and allocate pages even
    if they aren't used. If it is not there, the program may not function
    correctly. Disable it only as part of temporary fixes, like deleting a
    corrupt pagefile.sys file.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "usasma" <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Just FYI - I've got 1 gB of RAM and have been working just fine with no
    > pagefile at all for several months. Recently I got a virtual memory error
    > while playing a game - so I set it to 500 mB and it worked fine.
    >
    > Open all the apps that you think you could ever want to use together and
    > check the pagefile utilization in Task Manager. Add a little for a fudge
    > factor and you'll be good.
    >
    > "John Latter" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've just increased my RAM from 512 MB to 768 MB.
    >>
    >> I went to the Virtual Memory settings via System Properties and chose
    >> System Managed Size.
    >>
    >> The info now says:
    >>
    >> Total paging file size for all drives: 1151 MB
    >>
    >> and:
    >>
    >> Minimum allowed: 2 MB
    >> Recommended: 1150 MB
    >> Currently Allocated: 1151 MB
    >>
    >> Is this OK?
    >> Is there anything else I need do now that I've added extra RAM?
    >>
    >> Thankyou in advance,
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> John Latter
    >>
    >> Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
    >> homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    >> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
    >>
    >> 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
    >> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    In news:3tudnZYO97QvYFffRVn-rg@adelphia.com,
    Nog <nognog@adelphia.net> typed:

    > "John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've just increased my RAM from 512 MB to 768 MB.

    > 256 more isn't going to make much of a difference.

    For most people, you're right. But stating that for John, when
    you know nothing about what apps he runs, is not correct.

    It depends entirely on how he uses his computer. If, for example,
    he edits large photographic images, it could make a very big
    difference.

    Please reply to the newsgroup
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    USASMA,
    Richard and Rick are correct. For instance, I have 4GB of memory and even
    though I've disabled paging the executive (the OS), I still have an average
    of 61/62 MB paged out at all times.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

    http://www.google.com
    Google is your "Friend"

    "usasma" <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Just FYI - I've got 1 gB of RAM and have been working just fine with no
    > pagefile at all for several months. Recently I got a virtual memory error
    > while playing a game - so I set it to 500 mB and it worked fine.
    >
    > Open all the apps that you think you could ever want to use together and
    > check the pagefile utilization in Task Manager. Add a little for a fudge
    > factor and you'll be good.
    >
    > "John Latter" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've just increased my RAM from 512 MB to 768 MB.
    >>
    >> I went to the Virtual Memory settings via System Properties and chose
    >> System Managed Size.
    >>
    >> The info now says:
    >>
    >> Total paging file size for all drives: 1151 MB
    >>
    >> and:
    >>
    >> Minimum allowed: 2 MB
    >> Recommended: 1150 MB
    >> Currently Allocated: 1151 MB
    >>
    >> Is this OK?
    >> Is there anything else I need do now that I've added extra RAM?
    >>
    >> Thankyou in advance,
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> John Latter
    >>
    >> Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
    >> homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    >> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
    >>
    >> 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
    >> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 13:05:09 -0700, "Ken Blake"
    <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

    >In news:43plc1d0hkgsao58g6pfkuf42qhkqld4ja@4ax.com,
    >John Latter <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> typed:
    >
    >> I've just increased my RAM from 512 MB to 768 MB.
    >>
    >> I went to the Virtual Memory settings via System Properties and
    >> chose
    >> System Managed Size.
    >>
    >> The info now says:
    >>
    >> Total paging file size for all drives: 1151 MB
    >>
    >> and:
    >>
    >> Minimum allowed: 2 MB
    >> Recommended: 1150 MB
    >> Currently Allocated: 1151 MB
    >>
    >> Is this OK?
    >

    >OK. Yes. It's also almost certainly considerably more than you
    >need.
    >
    >Read the late MVP Alex Nichol's article "Virtual Memory in
    >Windows XP
    >" at http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

    Thanks Ken - for the link too!

    --

    John Latter

    Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

    'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    In news:d3ulc1licmrhocbd6v72amut7cc2cj7ffe@4ax.com,
    John Latter <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> typed:

    > On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 13:05:09 -0700, "Ken Blake"
    > <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

    >> OK. Yes. It's also almost certainly considerably more than you
    >> need.
    >>
    >> Read the late MVP Alex Nichol's article "Virtual Memory in
    >> Windows XP
    >> " at http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm
    >
    > Thanks Ken - for the link too!

    You're welcome. Glad to help.

    Please reply to the newsgroup
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 20:39:03 GMT, "Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote:

    >"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've just increased my RAM from 512 MB to 768 MB.
    >>
    >> I went to the Virtual Memory settings via System Properties and chose
    >> System Managed Size.
    >>
    >> The info now says:
    >>
    >> Total paging file size for all drives: 1151 MB
    >>
    >> and:
    >>
    >> Minimum allowed: 2 MB
    >> Recommended: 1150 MB
    >> Currently Allocated: 1151 MB
    >>
    >> Is this OK?
    >> Is there anything else I need do now that I've added extra RAM?
    >Yes, quit worrying about the size of the pagefile.
    >Jim

    Ok - just making sure :)

    --

    John Latter

    Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
    http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

    'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    usasma <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Just FYI - I've got 1 gB of RAM and have been working just fine with no
    >pagefile at all for several months. Recently I got a virtual memory error
    >while playing a game - so I set it to 500 mB and it worked fine.
    >
    >Open all the apps that you think you could ever want to use together and
    >check the pagefile utilization in Task Manager. Add a little for a fudge
    >factor and you'll be good.

    That is not good advice, and it could in fact be dangerous to follow
    it.

    Windows XP uses the pagefile for a variety of functions in addition to
    the paging out of active memory content when short of RAM; such as:

    1. System failure memory dumps. These use the paging file on the
    boot drive, and require that it be present. If there is no paging
    file configured on the boot drive then the memory dump information
    cannot be save, which can make it more difficult to determine the
    cause of an error.

    2. Fast user switching. When multiple users are configured on a
    computer and the Fast User Switching option is in effect then the
    memory content relating to the previous user will be rolled out to the
    paging file whenever the user is switched.

    3. Unused portions of memory allocation requests. All items,
    including Windows components, device drivers, and application programs
    ask for memory allocation amounts that are larger than what they
    ordinarily need under normal circumstances. By design, Windows must
    identify memory address space to satisfy all of these requests or
    produce an "out of memory" error if it cannot do so. What Windows
    normally does is to allocate RAM only to those portions of the
    requests that are actually used, and to use space in the pagefile for
    the unused portions. Note that this mapping of unused memory requests
    to the pagefile does not require any disk activity, just entries in
    the memory mapping tables maintained by the CPU. In the absence of
    the pagefile then Windows has no choice but to allocate RAM to all of
    the requested space including the unused portions. This can add up to
    quite a substantial amount. Here are some figures from my system at
    this moment, with 5 apps on the taskbar plus antivirus & antispyware
    loaded:
    PF Usage reported by Task Manager: 340 mb:
    Actual memory content currently in the pagefile: 57 mb
    Physical size of the pagefile: 80 mb

    I am running XP Pro SP2 with 768 mb of RAM.

    The above figures tell me that there is 283 mb (340 minus 57) of
    memory allocation that has been requested but never used. With no
    pagefile this 340 mb would have to come from RAM

    Hope this clarifies the situation.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Great post. Thanks, Ron.

    Ted Zieglar

RAM Microsoft Windows XP