Samsung Spinpoint-T HD501LJ 500GB recognizes only 127GB

redhawtcar

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
Placa Base: Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6

So its not because of no SP installed and obviously also not because that motherboard doesn't support 48bit LBA, like the little manual that comes with the hard drive says in the FAQ.

I already saw a solution that consist of going to the disk manager and doing a new partition where you'll get the missing 350 GB's, but I want to have the 500GB on the same place (no odd partitions please).

Thanks.

Are you sure that you have SP2 installed?
Did you format and do the partition, or was the drive already partitioned?
Is the drive brand new? Where did you get it? I ask because you could have picked up a returned item, some vendors will resell things as new even if they are not.....
It is possible the drive has been previously partitioned on a pre XP SP1 system.
Regardless of how the drive is partioned right now, if you have XP SP2, you can go in under disk management and reformat and repartiton to whatever your hearts desire. One big disk or a half a dozen small partitions, whatever you want to do.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Format the unrecognized space and one option may be to add it to the existing partition rather than creating a new one. If not Partition Magic will let you remove the 2nd partition and had to the other partition. Partition Magic is a very good disk/partition manager. If allows the resizing of partitions as well as creating them in Windows if you ever decide to partition

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006

To make the C: drive larger than 127 GB you will need to either:

1. Install Windows XP with SP2 slipstreamed into the installation CD (use nLite to create a slipstreamed CD).

or

2. Resize the partition after installation using a 3rd-party partition manager like Partition Magic or GParted.

or

3. Install Windows XP, take the hard drive out of the machine, install it into another machine as a second drive, boot the second machine on it's own hard drive, and expand the partition on the second drive using DISKPART. Then take out the drive and put it back in the original machine.

TRENDING THREADS