Sign in with
Your question

Need help picking a 24" display

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 4, 2007 2:43:45 AM

i have a budget of about 700-900 dollars. Looking for a monitor that will be able to run movies nicely (getting blueray drive) and most importantly ill be playing all types of games, rts fps, rpg etc (escpecially Crysis) so i need a monitor with relatively quick response times. I also want the monitor to be nice looking lol, no front speakers just nice plain and really classy which most are but yea nice looking and i guess most monitors are so yaaa.... :S

I really have no brand that i really prefer as long as it is good quality 24" and meets the above criteria. Thanks for the help since i really cant seem to find any displays and hopefully someone will be able to run some good ones by me :) 

More about : picking display

September 4, 2007 3:58:36 AM

The Samsung 245BW is a nice 24" display. 1920x1200, 5ms response time, 1000:1 contrast ratio (as spec'd by Samsung, take with a grain of salt). It looks fantastic, it's color fidelity is great, and it has HDCP support. I use it for office work, gaming, and watching movies, and I am pleased with the results in all cases.

Cons:
The housing is glossy black (that's not the screen) which reflects light and can be annoying at times. The viewing angles are not as good as on other (smaller) LCD screens I have used; colors tend to be off a bit if you view the screen at an too much of an angle, but the picture remains clear. It also comes only with 1 DVI and 1 D-sub port, so you are limited to only 1 high definition source (and HDMI sources need an adaptor to go to DVI).

Other than the Samsung, I have heard good things about the LG L245WP-BN and the Acer AL2416WBSD. If you need a HDMI connector, the LG is the only one of those that has one.

I'm sure that Benq and NEC also have good products in the 24" category too, though I have not seen or heard of them. I would avoid the Westinghouse L2410NM like the plague. I saw it in person and it was horrific - I've seen 22" models that have better picture quality (and that's saying a lot, given the general lack of quality in the 22" segment).
Related resources
September 4, 2007 4:24:10 AM

I would go with the Dell im looking for one for myself atm and looking between 24" and 27" they look the bomb
a c 358 U Graphics card
a c 195 C Monitor
September 4, 2007 4:54:28 AM

asgallant said:
The Samsung 245BW is a nice 24" display. 1920x1200, 5ms response time, 1000:1 contrast ratio (as spec'd by Samsung, take with a grain of salt). It looks fantastic, it's color fidelity is great, and it has HDCP support. I use it for office work, gaming, and watching movies, and I am pleased with the results in all cases.

The Samsung 245BW uses 6-bit TN panel technology found on most inexpensive monitors and is used in all 22" LCD monitors. 6-bit panels cannot produce 16.7 million colors, they can only produce a little more than 262k colors. Through a process called dithering, the missing 16 million colors are created by blending the colors the panel can produce, but these colors will not be accurate (read as bad for Photoshop). Dithering can increase the chances of video artifact.

6-bit TN panels also have poor viewing angles, but it should not pose a problem for most people since most people sit right in front of their monitor. However, blacks are not as black on TN panels compared to the other available LCD panel technologies: P-MVA, S-PVA, and S-IPS which are all 8-bit panels.

I would spend the extra $75+ (depending on exactly which monitor the 245BW is being compared to) for an 8-bit panel that can truly display 16.7 million colors.

24" LCD monitors I was looking at before I decided to look for something larger:

BenQ FP241W / WZ......... (the WZ seems to be in short supply in the US)
Dell 2407WFP...........That was before the Dell 2407WFP-HC came out.
HP LP2465 Carbonite

The BenQ uses the 8-bit P-MVA panel.
The other two use the 8-bit S-PVA panel.

For the most part, P-MVA and S-PVA panel technologies are basically the same without having to go into the technicals.
September 4, 2007 5:30:17 AM

so the best for 700-900 would be the BenQ then or?

btw thanks a lot for the information, it has been extremely useful :D 
September 4, 2007 5:51:28 AM

just for reference:

120 people reviewed BenQ 5 star
136 people reviewed Samsung 5 star

and for comparison LG has 12 and HP has 22

On newegg of course
a c 358 U Graphics card
a c 195 C Monitor
September 4, 2007 5:52:18 AM

The BenQ FP241WZ was the monitor I settled on before looking for something bigger; the Planar PX2611W.

You can by the FP241WZ from Amazon.com for $770.

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-FP241WZ-24-inch-Widescreen-Monitor/dp/B000LNH9EG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-6710485-7022042?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1188884266&sr=8-1

The main difference between the W and WZ model is the use of BFI technology. BFI = Black Frame Insertion to simulate the output from a CRT monitor. However, BFI is not for everyone and will not alway provide the best results for games. You will need to play around with the BFI settings for different games. From what I've read it has 4 settings and an OFF option, just in case BFI doesn't improve anything or makes things looks worse to you.

Another difference is that right off the bat, the 1:1 bitmapping works properly as opposed to the W model which did not work properly until they released it with a January 2007 firmware date.

Below is a link to a review comparing the FP241WZ to the Dell 2407WFP (not the HC version) and the LG L246WP:

http://www.bexox.com/showdown.htm

Below is a review of the FP241WZ from December 2006:

http://www.behardware.com/articles/646-1/benq-fp241wz-1rst-lcd-with-screening.html

Below is a link for additional information if you are interested in reading a quick comparison between 24" monitors using 6-bit TN panel technology vs. 8-bit P-MVA and S-PVA technologies.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/677-1/the-samsung-245b-the-1st-tn-24-tn-vs-24-pva-mva.html
September 4, 2007 5:48:20 PM

i havent time to read those links right now, though i will later im just running out the door but now that you showed me the Planar PX2611W im quite interested in that. Its a couple hundred dollars more but it seems you were in the same situation as i am and decided to go for the 26". If you could go back would you make the same choice and land on the 26 again or would u settle with the 24"? Also i noticed the Planar PX2611W is 8 bit while the BenQ is 6 bit. so i am assuming the Planar is not as good in games or is it still great without or with very little ghosting?

thanks again :) 
September 4, 2007 6:04:30 PM

To put it simple, I was in the same position last month trying to find the 24" monitor. Reading some of the reviews from users can become very much a pain because there is always that handfull of folks that give cons that totally make think. For example I was going to get the samsung and out of 300 people like 7 people complained of mouse lag and it was noticeable in games. Even though 290 other people loved it and said games were great, I couldnt buy it.

So I just decided to say F it and went with the Dell Ultrasharp which is basically samsung parts and for $536 bucks I couldn't pass it up.

I been playing BioShock on with with 1920x1200 and it is beautiful. No lag, ghosting......nothing. So if you went with the Samsung, Ben Q, or the Dell all 3 look great and no matter what you will have users that find something wrong. I love my 24 inch Dell and I am a gamer.

September 4, 2007 6:07:20 PM

I have a Samsung 245BW.

Great for games, not so great for Photoshop.

Needed something high-res for benchmarking. I'm happy with it, especially for the price.
September 4, 2007 6:24:11 PM

julesjt said:
To put it simple, I was in the same position last month trying to find the 24" monitor. Reading some of the reviews from users can become very much a pain because there is always that handfull of folks that give cons that totally make think. For example I was going to get the samsung and out of 300 people like 7 people complained of mouse lag and it was noticeable in games. Even though 290 other people loved it and said games were great, I couldnt buy it.

So I just decided to say F it and went with the Dell Ultrasharp which is basically samsung parts and for $536 bucks I couldn't pass it up.

I been playing BioShock on with with 1920x1200 and it is beautiful. No lag, ghosting......nothing. So if you went with the Samsung, Ben Q, or the Dell all 3 look great and no matter what you will have users that find something wrong. I love my 24 inch Dell and I am a gamer.

I actually also recently went with the Dell Ultrasharp 24" and I would consider myself a gamer, but I haven't been playing much lately. I bring this up because I have used my monitor mostly for TV (HD specifically) and movies and it also does a great job of displaying these. DVDs llok fantastic and the HDTV looks fantastic.
September 4, 2007 7:27:49 PM

I bought a LG L246WP-BN 24" widescreen and am very pleased with it. It has true 8-bit color and 8ms response time (5ms or less usually indicates 6-bit color). Connectors: HDMI (comes with DVI adapter), Component, D-sub, 2 port USB hub built into panel and PC Audio out. I guess the audio out port is for headphones since it's on the side of the panel, never used it though. Monitor supports true 1080p and took my breath away when I hooked up my PS3.
September 4, 2007 7:54:06 PM

I own a Dell 24" 2407WFP-HC and I couldn't be happier. I'm also a hard-core gamer and HD movie buff. The only complaint I have is there is no HDMI connection.
September 4, 2007 8:39:27 PM

I own the Dell 24" 2407 WFP. Couldn't be happier. I use Photoshop, Dreamweaver, play DVDs and games, and edit a couple magazines...Text is great, colors are vivid, and the motion response is only a problem on high-action shots, and some of that might be due to the codec I use...
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2007 9:12:22 PM

I have a 2407 at work, and it is very nice indeed, even if I don't use it's capabilities.
September 4, 2007 9:33:02 PM

LCD technologies literally have a language of themselves. If you are really serious about getting the best LCD monitor for your uses I would suggest researching into it. I was in your shoes a few weeks back until Jaguarskx helped me out and have been researching ever since. If you are going up to the 900 dollar range I would recommend looking into the 26 inch planar. It uses a h-ips panel which would improve color accuracy. It also uses the same panel as the Nec2690 although the firmware is no where near the level of the Nec. This generates some problems but not enough to worry about. For the price range it's a steal. The planar also has a 5 ms response time with exactly 1 frame of lag. If ghosting is a problem for you I would recommend going with TN or IPS...of course this all depend on the individual. Some people can see ghosting and some cannot. For me..I can notice everything...so If I was to nab a lcd monitor atm I'd nab a IPS panel.

If you want to read into the detials of TFT technology which I would recommend head over to the Hard forum.

http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78

You can get a lot of information from there since their display forum is very active. Also spend some time reading up on the planar 26" thread as well as the many others. It really is good reading ^_^.

I would also recommend
September 4, 2007 9:48:46 PM

jaguarskx said:
The Samsung 245BW uses 6-bit TN panel technology found on most inexpensive monitors and is used in all 22" LCD monitors. 6-bit panels cannot produce 16.7 million colors, they can only produce a little more than 262k colors. Through a process called dithering, the missing 16 million colors are created by blending the colors the panel can produce, but these colors will not be accurate (read as bad for Photoshop). Dithering can increase the chances of video artifact.

6-bit TN panels also have poor viewing angles, but it should not pose a problem for most people since most people sit right in front of their monitor. However, blacks are not as black on TN panels compared to the other available LCD panel technologies: P-MVA, S-PVA, and S-IPS which are all 8-bit panels.

The Samsung 245BW uses an 8-bit TN panel, not a 6-bit. I would have preferred to get a PVA panel, but the price differential wasn't worth it. I'll put up with sub-optimal viewing angles on a screen where I'm looking at it straight on anyway.
a c 358 U Graphics card
a c 195 C Monitor
September 4, 2007 10:47:07 PM

maverick7 said:
If you could go back would you make the same choice and land on the 26 again or would u settle with the 24"?

I haven't bought the Planar yet because I'm kinda in-between jobs.

maverick7 said:

Also i noticed the Planar PX2611W is 8 bit while the BenQ is 6 bit.

Both monitors use 8-bit panels. The Planar PX2611W uses a H-IPS panel which is a new type of the very respected S-IPS panel and is developed by LG/Philips. The BenQ FP241W / WZ uses the P-MVA panel that is manufactured by AUO.

S-IPS and all their derivatives are considered premium panels and therefore carry a hefty price tag.

-----------------------------------
The 26" NEC LCD2690WUXi uses the same panel as the PX2611W, but costs $1500+ 'cause NEC adds a lot of "extra stuff" like a 12-bit gamma correct lookup table for very (and some may say excessively) high color accuracy that is meant for the graphics professional, a special clear coat layer that provides wider viewing angles and (I think) better color saturation, plus it can also pivot. It also has some internal electronics that controls the video signal for better output.

The one bad thing about the Planar PX2611W is that when people hookup a gaming console to it, they experience color banding when playing at full screen. The NEC LCD2690WUXi does not suffer from this color degradation. However, due to the 12-bit gamma lookup table, the NEC is also 2ms slower than the Planar.
------------------------------------

P-MVA / S-PVA panels are middle of the road panels that are much better than 6-bit TN panels, but not as good as the S-IPS panel.

TN panels are all 6-bits, and while inexpensive and have very fast response times, they are inferior to the above panels in all other aspects.
a c 358 U Graphics card
a c 195 C Monitor
September 4, 2007 10:57:31 PM

asgallant said:
The Samsung 245BW uses an 8-bit TN panel, not a 6-bit.

Incorrect.

Read the following article:

http://www.behardware.com/articles/677-1/the-samsung-245b-the-1st-tn-24-tn-vs-24-pva-mva.html

From the best of my knowledge: 245BW = The Americas, 245B = The rest of the world.

The Samsung 245B/BW uses the LTM240CT panel which is developed by Samsung. Below is the link to Samsung's panel website:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/lcdpanel/productList.do?upper_fmly_id=603&fmly_id=609

The LTM240CT panel is internally known as BTN III mode. It has a response time of 5ms and 80 degree view angles all around, or 160 degrees, which is a dead giveaway that this is a TN panel. These specs matches the specs of the Samsung 245B/BW monitors. BTN III most likely refers to a newer generation of TN panels.

Samsung does produce the LTM240CS panel which is a S-PVA panel, but it's specs are 6ms response times and 89 dregrees viewing angles all around, or 178 degrees.
September 4, 2007 11:06:41 PM

man i again thank you very much for that information i never knew any of that stuff .

going on about the S-IPS panels none of the monitors you mentioned were S-IPS or is the H-IPS on the planar very similiar to the S-IPS??
And if i were to go with the Planar how will it do in games because you were saying it messes up when used with a console etc??
a c 358 U Graphics card
a c 195 C Monitor
September 4, 2007 11:07:22 PM

Quote:

n725 said:
The Samsung 245BW uses an 8-bit TN panel, not a 6-bit.
said:

Incorrect.

I'm sorry, I saw "8-bit", but not "TN".

There has been some speculation about "8-bit TN" panels (after all whoever said TN panels are only limited to 6-bits?), but I am not entirely convinced that the LTM240CT panel is an 8-bit TN panel. This is mainly due to the fact that Samsung does not specifically state it is an 8-bit panel.

While Samsung does state this panel can produce 16.7 million colors in their various publication, I am a bit skeptical because many brands lists 6-bit TN panels as capable of reproducing 16.7 million colors when in fact they can only produce 16.2 million thru the dithering process and only 262k of actual colors.

Like I said, the LTM240CT panel may be an 8-bit panel, but I need to see that specifically stated by Samsung.
September 4, 2007 11:18:23 PM

The downside maverick is that IPS is becoming more rare. Thanks to the american consumer who would state "WOW!..a 26 inch flat panel for 300 dollars!...I'm there!"...TN's are overflooding the market. Most IPS panels are dying out. Dell is switching from their long line of 20 inch IPS panels over to TN now. Also IPS is quite pricey indeed. I would recommend the planar for its price range of 900-999. For a 26 incher that's a steal. I was planning on nabbing a Nec 2690WUXI which retails at around 1700. But I decided to just nab a Sony FW900 24" widescreen CRT till FED rolls out in 2009/2010.

For IPS you are quite limited. Dell has a lottery now so it's more difficult to nab their 20 inch IPS panels. For the 24" area I don't believe they make IPS panels. You can nab them in 23" form and 26".

There is the nec 2490 WUXI...but that retails at 1500 ^.^....with the bigger brother 26" at 1700. I believe that is the only 24 inch IPS panel. Looking at some TFT lists seems they are the only 24" IPs. But they are out of your price range. For the price...and the fact it's an IPS panel...I think the planar 26" would do you justice.
a c 358 U Graphics card
a c 195 C Monitor
September 4, 2007 11:29:50 PM

maverick7 said:

going on about the S-IPS panels none of the monitors you mentioned were S-IPS or is the H-IPS on the planar very similiar to the S-IPS??
And if i were to go with the Planar how will it do in games because you were saying it messes up when used with a console etc??

None of the 24" monitors I listed in my first post uses a S-IPS panel.

I do not know the technical differences between a standard S-IPS and the newer H-IPS panels are.

The banding issue with the Planar only happens when it is hooked up to a game console like a PS3. There are no problems at all if it's just connected to your PC.

Hardforum has a very, very active forum on displays. Below is a link to where one of it's members (ToastyX) talks about the banding issue. This thread has literally exploded since I was last there. It jumped from 13 pages of posts to 30 pages of posts.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1180069&page=6

Below is a review of the Planar PX2611W; page 4 talks about the band issue then any device is connected (other than a PC's video card) to display 1080i/p. Movies will be fine though.

Oops!!! Forgot to post the link:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=84&Itemid=47
September 4, 2007 11:39:33 PM

so hmm do you think it would be wise of me then to buy the monitor now even though ill be buying my new pc when the new graphics cards come out (G92)?? which is sometime near Christmas or should i wait...?

i never thought i would have so much trouble picking a monitor and up until recently i decided i would stay with my 21" dell trinitron crt monitor but i would imagine that buying a good LCD would give me much better picture quality and make crysis even more of a joy to play :S lol

* i had actually been searching for reviews about the planar and i already stumbled upon it by using google but yea a very good read, quite interesting indeed.
September 5, 2007 12:07:29 AM

Well the thing you need to realize is LCD has it's faults just like CRT's have.

LCD's have much higher input lag then CRTs. That's why you hear ghosting issues but it's mostly with PVA/MVA panels. the upside of LCD's are their small form factor. They also can display VERY BRIGHT picture which make everything look lush. They also don't use a Scan system like CRT's Tube based technology. In a simple to explain way it's basically a Liquid crystal receiving an electrical signal to alter the color of each pixel. They are also much easier on the yes...LCD's can display Wide Gammut as with a 92% and even higher color range and even higher...where CRT's are limited to 72%

BUT...just like LCD's benefits CRT has some as well.

CRT's have almost virtually no delay. They have delay just like LCD's but it's so faint to the point that you can say they have no delay. CRT's also can alter their resolutions easily unlike LCD's.....LCD's also have native resolutions based on their pixels. Like these 26" models we are talkinjg about have exactly 1920 pixels in the width. and 1200 in the height. So if you alter the resolution to let's say 1600 it will blur the image among numerous pixels to display the resolution. Although they do have 1:1 pixel mapping which fixes this problem. Let's say you have a 1920x1200 monitor and you want to play a game in 1600x1200. Normally it would scale by blurring pixels. But with pixel mapping it will place a black border on the right and left of the screen...160 pixel width on the left and 160 on the right to bring the res down to 1600x1200 without scaling the images. CRT's can just change their res thanks to the tube based technology. So it's a non issue for CRT's...CRT's also display TRUE blacks...They can display real backs without the loss of details unlike LCD's. Black on crts are much more accurate then LCDs. Same goes for color...Why do you think movie studios still use CRT's?...because the color accuracy is much more precise.

Both have their benefits and downfalls. I'mma just nab myself a FW900 till FED....FED is basically CRT benefits in the form of a LCD. A technology that implements CRT technology into flat panels. LCD's would be extremely lush for certain gaming. I think it would look fantastic for new MMORPG's coming out that are very vivid and beautiful....But for me since I'm a video editor timing is extremely important...especially since my editing projects are very tightly music beat based...so I need a CRT...

If you have any questions feel free to ask. ^_^...But I do think the planar would do you nicely. There really is no reason to wait though imo but it's up to you. Not much coming out in the next few months from what I know...unless jaguar knows something I don't. Only downside of waiting is that IPS panels are going to become more rare slowly and slowly. But I doubt the 26" planar and NEC IPS monitors would disappear...since they are considered for higher end users.

edit---

BTW Mav...read those hardforum threads and search around there. It really pays off to read those threads since users discuss the faults and benefits of each monitor they come across. It'll make your monitor choice much more informed. But you'll come to see no LCD is perfect..They all have their strong and weak points....But the main question is what monitor fits into your lifestyle the most.
a c 358 U Graphics card
a c 195 C Monitor
September 5, 2007 12:14:29 AM

If you can buy it now and don't really want to wait, then just pull the trigger.

The price may or may not drop by December, but logically it should drop a little bit.

CDW actually had it listed for $899, but is now back up to $949 and is out of stock.

Dell is selling it for $949 with free shipping, but you'll be paying taxes. For me that would be another $79.48 since I'm in NYC. Since I am investing in a long term product buying the 2 year extended warranty for $104 may be worth it (and another $8.71 in taxes). That's brings the total cost up to $1,141.19.

Wow. That a lot of money.

Maybe I should just buy the NEC LCD2690WUXi from Newegg.com for $1,500 (+ shipping) and it comes with a 5 year warranty since it is only ~$360 more.

Or maybe I should just spend that money on a good psychiatrist.
September 5, 2007 12:18:35 AM

lol...Screw the psychiatrist. Nab that sexy Nec 2690 and enjoy ^_^. Even though I'm planning to get a FW900 I really worry about the idea of nabbing a refurbished model with a 1 year warranty. Even though I realize lcd's downsides I might just nab a nec 2690...Then nab a used ebay FW900 as a second monitor which will be used to display video...This way I can edit in premiere and watch the widescreen crt for the timing and what not...since I don't want delay fudding up my beat timing.
September 5, 2007 12:33:47 AM

Whats this FED you speak of? I'm keenly interested in more details of this. It sounds very interesting and 2010 just so happens to be a year after my graduation so if FED the $|-|][7 than i'm in.
September 5, 2007 12:42:31 AM

FED is Field Emission Display.

Just run to google and type in "FED Sony"...There are lots of articles. It basically takes a CRT into the flatpanel display.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/displays/sony-to-debut-fed-i...

here's one link. Unfortunately it seems TV's will come first but that might not be 100% sure as of yet. If you were a fan of the Sony Trinitron then FED is it's much needed bigger brother in Flatpanel form. It will literally eliminate a lot of the problems with LCD's....Input and response time should be reduce back to CRT standards. The color range I've heard tops out at a wide gamut of 115% but it's not been confirmed yet. They also have Extremely high contrast ratios...around 20,000:1 in that link I posted. So basically all the fantastic benefits of a CRT in flatpanel form without the downsides of LCd...They are also fantastic for manufacturing...Even if 20% of the field emitters fail you won't have any dead pixels. This will be a godsend for manufacturers since LCD's are know of frozen/dead pixels...

This is why I hate lcd's so much though...They may have some very nice benefits...But they have so many faults it just turns me off to the idea of getting an lcd. FED is also cheaper to make then LCD's..With all the LCd problems pretty much eliminated...So I doubt it would fail..

There also was SED...which was very similar...From Canon and Toshiba...But they ran into copyright infringement it seems with nano technology...I have no idea how but SED was cancelled. But considering Sony is running FED I doubt anything would happen...and considering the benefits...cheaper costs...better manufacturing process for the manufacturers...it should come out and replace LCD with time.
a c 358 U Graphics card
a c 195 C Monitor
September 5, 2007 12:50:03 AM

eric54 said:
Whats this FED you speak of?

FED (Field Emission Display) technology is being developed by Sony which is supposed to offer great image quality with CRT-like performance in a flat form factor. Techically, there is no limitation to the viewing angle because FED are self-emissive technologies, so that means there is no limitation on the viewing angle.

It was invented in the 1970s as a possible alternative to the traditional CRT TV but has never been commercialized, losing out to liquid-crystal displays and plasma displays in the flat panel race.

September 5, 2007 4:16:31 AM

well now im just bloody confused :S im going to ignore that FED display because i will loose my mind trying to consider that so anyways if u were me with a budget of around 800-1200 (yes i moved it a little) what would u buy? either a 24" or 26"

a c 358 U Graphics card
a c 195 C Monitor
September 5, 2007 4:37:34 AM

I would buy the Planar PX2611W if it will fit on your desk. It is certainly within your price range. However, I would click that link I provided to Hordforum.com a few posts back and just read through some user opinions and issues they have with the PX2611W. All LCDs will have issues, it's just which ones are minor for you.

If you want to save a few bucks you can drop down to a 24" like the BenQ FP241WZ which was at the top of my list before moving on to the Planar.

If you don't care for the BFI tech used by the FP241WZ, then consider the cheaper FP241W. I think Newegg.com sells it for about $770, but there's a $100 rebate I believe.

As for me, my options are:

1. The NEC LCD2690WUXi
2. The Planar PX2611W
3. TWO BenQ FP241W for less than the cost of the NEC LCD2690WUXi
4. Spend my money on a sexy female psychiatrist, and convince her I need more than just mental healing...
September 5, 2007 7:03:23 AM

Option 4. seems to be the best choice. I'm sure i remember the "movie" with that plot, best five minutes of my life :p 
September 5, 2007 11:44:40 PM

ok well the NEC is crazy in price so no lol :p  though i would like to get it its jsut way too expensive.. my 42" LG LCD was only what 1800 or something.. on boxing day

but anyways so if i were to buy it now can any of you think of a reason to wait orr??? should it be ok to get it now lol?? the planar probably or BenQ ahha either one of them do u think it would be a problem like would i benefit in waiting or what?
a c 358 U Graphics card
a c 195 C Monitor
September 6, 2007 12:36:05 AM

maverick7 said:
my 42" LG LCD was only what 1800 or something.. on boxing day

So who won the title fight? :p 

maverick7 said:

the planar probably or BenQ ahha either one of them do u think it would be a problem like would i benefit in waiting or what?

I don't think you will save much by waiting for either monitor.

There is no real competition for the Planar because there's only two other 26" LCD monitors. The expensive NEC with all the bells and whistles, and then you have a 26" Acer that uses an inferior TN panel that sells for about $650; I think.

The Benq FP241W has been out for a while and at least in the US there is a $100 mail in rebate which brings it under $700. It's doubtful that you'll get a better deal than that. The FP241WZ is newer with more tech and priced "comfortably" higher than the W version. So unless the W version price drops, you will not see the WZ version go anywhere.

a c 358 U Graphics card
a c 195 C Monitor
September 6, 2007 1:35:00 AM

New tech?

The new tech I'm waiting for is LED backlighting instead of the current CCFL (cold cathode fluorescent lamps). That tech is here, but very, very expensive. Samsung has a 20" LCD monitor that has LED backlighting which came out not long ago and is selling for something like $3,000. Put that tech on a 26" LCD and it'll probably cost $5,000.

From a US perspective, that is a very good price for the BenQ FP241W. $690 CAD works out to $656 USD; wow the USD is weak. That's cheaper than buying it from Newegg.com and waiting for the $50 mail-in rebate.

Unless you can find it cheaper than that, I would simply buy it before the sale ends.
September 6, 2007 2:15:58 AM

yes but then i was reading what that ToastyX guy was saying about the NEC model and now im even more perplexed as to what to do. I have a problem where i see something good and say ok, then i see something better and i say ok to that and i keep going till i get the best i can possibly get.. The BenQ to my knowledge is good but it has of course problems that all LCD monitors suffer from but the NEC has the least backlight leakage and some other stuff, but then there is visible ghosting with like a 16ms response time.

so on the planar and the BenQ there is basically no ghosting while the NEC is basically the best 24" money can buy for around $1500.. while the BenQ is $700 and Planar is around $900.

so if i go for the BenQ i get a pretty good monitor that has some problems i guess like flickering lights or something like that and the regular LCD problems like backlight leakage which affects picture and lines across the screen or something like that, and the Planar has the same problems. The NEC however has basically no problems at all except for the price and ghosting..

so do i get the BenQ which i can get fairly easily by driving to the NCIX store or do i get the Planar which i would have to order, but it is 26"... or do i get the NEC which is damn expensive but good?... sigh

and jaguarskx when is this new technology coming out??
September 6, 2007 2:32:07 AM

ok iv basically decided to go with the Planar PX2611W after reading some reviews it seems like a good choice and im a fan of 26" that is going to be a bloody monster ahhaha bragging rights i guess :p 

now the question is where the hell do i buy this since i live in Vancouver BC Canada or rather just outside of it.

my second question is what sort of cables do i need to buy to connect it to my computer??

my third question is how hard and what exactly do i have to do to 'tweak' my monitor?? i hear that many people spend around 15 minutes adjusting their monitor.. what exactly am i going to have to adjust?

and is there anything i should be aware of when buying this monitor or any problems with LCD's i should be aware of, or of this particular monitor in general??

perhaps i should read through this 30 page long thread.. uhh :S http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=1a84caffd4d61...

*edit- ok i just read this, what exactly does this mean?? "1080p and 1080i over VGA isn't usable (720p is fine)" does that mean even though its stated at being a 1080P monitor it can only run 720p!!!!! when hooked up to a computer!!! ahhh explain please 'cries' lol

*edit2- also i was wondering how often dead pixels occur??
a c 358 U Graphics card
a c 195 C Monitor
September 7, 2007 12:45:12 AM

Just google around for a store that sells it in Canada.

Based on my experience with my current 19" Planar (PX191), all the cables you need will come with the monitor. Basically that's a DVI-D to DVI-D cable connected to your video card and the monitor.

Tweaking is more of an art than a science if you are doing it by hand (manually). You need to look at high resolution and good quality images on your screen while adjusting the colors. I leave mine at default because they seem fine to me. However, I would adjust the brightness and contrast to your liking. They are usually set too high for most people at the default setting. The brightness on my PX191 is set to 60 and contrast is set to 50. I'm sure that'll be different on the PX2611W.

The main concern for this monitor will be the "1080p and 1080i over VGA isn't usable (720p is fine)" which refers to connecting a game console, like the PS3, to the Planar and playing it at 1080p resolution. It's not much of a concern you are not going to connect a game console to this monitor.

General LCD monitor problems are dead or stuck pixels, backlight bleeding, and ghosting effects. Dead pixels are random and generally do not happen very often. My 4+ year old Planar has not developed any problems yet.
!