M2n32-sli Deluxe system shuts down right after start up

ares6881

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
Here's what I have,

ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor
G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) (I have 4 of these)
Thermaltake W0106RU Complies with ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V version 700W Power Supply
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320-P2-N811-AR HDCP Video Card
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (hasn't been delivered yet)
SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-202B/BEBN
SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology Black SATA Model SH-S183L
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Basically I was trying to boot my system into Bios to see if everything was working, when I turned it on, all the fans turned on, the motherboard led was lit, the cd drives began their start up and after about 2-3 seconds it turned itself off. I've tried removing all but one thing of RAM, removing the video card, removing the video card and all the RAM, disconnecting the cd drives, disconnecting everything but the motherboard, reseating the motherboard. Every single time it would power on and then turn itself off after 2-3 seconds.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? Does the motherboard require a hard drive to POST? I've heard that I need to set the power for the RAM to 2.1, but I can't do that without getting into BIOS. Anyway, hope someone can help, thanks in advance.

syedraza70

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
ares6881,

I am having the same problem. My M2N-SLI shuts down right after turning on. I was wondering if you ever firgured out what was wrong?

Thanks a lot.

fredy0067

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
fredy

check the contact between the heat sink and the CPU i have just had 2 boards die in a week one at work and one at home the one at home part of the plastic that the heat sink clamps down to broke off. the other board i don't know what happened but hay spare parts. If the CPU gets hot it will shut down , hope you are lucky. i found the broken plastic after i spent $200 on a new Gigabyte mother board that i cant return. looks like i will be building a 64 bit system for my graphics.

You should boot with the HD, a GOOD stick of RAM, and the video card. Most often the problem is with faulty RAM. If you have more than 1 stick use each of them in different slots. You could have a bad slot or a bad stick. Make sure the video card is seated securely. Look at the mobo mounts and make sure they are in the correct position under the board, you could be shorting out. Also cables from the psu could be shorting out on the case, tie them up real good.