Please HELP select a motherboard for Video Editing

smithdickerson

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2007
I plan to buid a system for video editing (primary Adobe Premiere and Avid Liquid). Here is what I have in mind:

- 3 GB of Corsair Memory (1 pair of 1 gb, and 1 pair of 512mb)
- Raid 0 (2-74gb Western Digital Raptor)
- 1 - Seatage 750gb for additional storage
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
- PNY VCQFX560-PCIE-PB-V Quadro FX560 128MB Video Card
- Motherboard = Some Asus Motherboard

Thinking about the ASUS Striker Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX, or some other Asus Motherboard, but also open to other brands.

Please help,
Thanks

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
first striker mobo are proned to cpu-int - so be prepared to rebuild your system. second the 1333 limit makes the q6600 and striker a looser combo. evga will run the b3 at 3.1-3.2ghz the p35 will run the g0 at 3.4ghz

#1 -really bad idea to use odd set of ram - use 4 gb in 2 sticks for less problems
#2 large storage hdd are proned to melt down due to spin flip of the atoms - cascading spin change resulting in all data los
b) you might consider a raid for large storage like a raid10 or raid 5 with a raid card

#3 q6600 is great make sure you bet the g0 so you can get good oc and high fsb that helps for your app

#4 o ya! the mobo go p35 rock solid with ich9R "R" for raid! - stay away from any 680i mobo but the evga t1 - the a1 may whistle - then again so might the t1? p5k-delux or the p5k-e have wireless

WHITEROCK

Distinguished
May 13, 2007
The P35 is a pretty mature chipset for new technology due to the fact is really is just an upgrade from the P965.

Asus is a pretty reliable brand as well, so Dragon's suggestion is a good one.

Only concern is the raptors.

1 . They are pretty loud due to their speed, and can interfere with the audio editing side of things.

2. Are you planning on making the RAID system your OS ?
This won't really speed up the applications, it will only make them boot faster.

If this is your aim eg. you can't wait 20 secs for a program to boot, I'd suggest you may not have the patience that video editing requires.

I'd use your RAID for the media, You will see a difference in speed and productivity. But then again only High Def needs RAID.

Hope this helps ....

stlmsr

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009

You must be kidding right??
#2 large storage hdd are proned to melt down due to spin flip of the atoms - cascading spin change resulting in all data los
Using your line of thinking the platters on a hard drive would get smaller and smaller all the time
Let's see would a 500gb hard drive last what 6 mos??

:pfff:

How about you read the popup warnings saying this thread hasn't been active 6+months. Aka this thread is 2 years old.