Please HELP select a motherboard for Video Editing

I plan to buid a system for video editing (primary Adobe Premiere and Avid Liquid). Here is what I have in mind:

- 3 GB of Corsair Memory (1 pair of 1 gb, and 1 pair of 512mb)
- Raid 0 (2-74gb Western Digital Raptor)
- 1 - Seatage 750gb for additional storage
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
- PNY VCQFX560-PCIE-PB-V Quadro FX560 128MB Video Card
- Motherboard = Some Asus Motherboard

Thinking about the ASUS Striker Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX, or some other Asus Motherboard, but also open to other brands.

Please help,
Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about please select motherboard video editing
  1. first striker mobo are proned to cpu-int - so be prepared to rebuild your system. second the 1333 limit makes the q6600 and striker a looser combo. evga will run the b3 at 3.1-3.2ghz the p35 will run the g0 at 3.4ghz

#1 -really bad idea to use odd set of ram - use 4 gb in 2 sticks for less problems
    #2 large storage hdd are proned to melt down due to spin flip of the atoms - cascading spin change resulting in all data los
    b) you might consider a raid for large storage like a raid10 or raid 5 with a raid card

#3 q6600 is great make sure you bet the g0 so you can get good oc and high fsb that helps for your app

#4 o ya! the mobo go p35 rock solid with ich9R "R" for raid! - stay away from any 680i mobo but the evga t1 - the a1 may whistle - then again so might the t1? p5k-delux or the p5k-e have wireless
  2. low cost mobo: with built in wireless and chipset raid

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131196
  3. The P35 is a pretty mature chipset for new technology due to the fact is really is just an upgrade from the P965.

Asus is a pretty reliable brand as well, so Dragon's suggestion is a good one.

Only concern is the raptors.

1 . They are pretty loud due to their speed, and can interfere with the audio editing side of things.

2. Are you planning on making the RAID system your OS ?
    This won't really speed up the applications, it will only make them boot faster.

If this is your aim eg. you can't wait 20 secs for a program to boot, I'd suggest you may not have the patience that video editing requires.

I'd use your RAID for the media, You will see a difference in speed and productivity. But then again only High Def needs RAID.

Hope this helps ....
  4. dragonsprayer said:
    first striker mobo are proned to cpu-int - so be prepared to rebuild your system. second the 1333 limit makes the q6600 and striker a looser combo. evga will run the b3 at 3.1-3.2ghz the p35 will run the g0 at 3.4ghz

#1 -really bad idea to use odd set of ram - use 4 gb in 2 sticks for less problems
    #2 large storage hdd are proned to melt down due to spin flip of the atoms - cascading spin change resulting in all data los
    b) you might consider a raid for large storage like a raid10 or raid 5 with a raid card

#3 q6600 is great make sure you bet the g0 so you can get good oc and high fsb that helps for your app

#4 o ya! the mobo go p35 rock solid with ich9R "R" for raid! - stay away from any 680i mobo but the evga t1 - the a1 may whistle - then again so might the t1? p5k-delux or the p5k-e have wireless

You must be kidding right??
    Using your line of thinking the platters on a hard drive would get smaller and smaller all the time
    Let's see would a 500gb hard drive last what 6 mos??
  5. LOL a motherboard that is like $70 will do you dont need a crazy overclocking mb
  6. stlmsr said:
    You must be kidding right??
    Using your line of thinking the platters on a hard drive would get smaller and smaller all the time
    Let's see would a 500gb hard drive last what 6 mos??

:pfff:

How about you read the popup warnings saying this thread hasn't been active 6+months. Aka this thread is 2 years old.
  7. Well it's active now.
    It's it
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Video Editing Motherboards Product