Sign in with
Your question

Problems overclocking E6750

Last response: in Overclocking
October 31, 2007 10:47:34 AM

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but thought I would join as Tom's Hardware is such a great site.

I have recently purchased a new system to replace my age-old Skt 754 AMD64 sytem. You should be able to see my specs in my signature. So far this machine is running fine, no problems at all. Runs DOOM3 and HL2 on maxed out settings at 1280x1024 at roughly 80-150 fps.

The problem I am having is that I am unable to overclock this machine at all. The stock speed of 2.66ghz on this CPU is a crime! Ideally I want this machine to run at a 400mhz FSB which will give me 3.2Ghz clock speed. In addition, this means my PC2-6400 RAM will run at optimal speed too.

I have done overclocking a lot in the past and I'm a computer engineer by profession, so you can get as technical as you like. My only downfall is that I haven't dealt much at all with voltages. I am not that certain what voltage settings are correct, and most importantly, safe.

I cannot POST with only a 20mhz FSB increment at stock voltage. I have tried 350mhz, 360mhz etc etc. All of these do not post at stock voltage, which is worrying, as I'm sure the voltage is enough?

The current standard VCORE is at 1.35000. Should I turn it up? What are the recommended settings for a stable-running 3.2ghz overclock?

Any help is appreciated :D 

(nice to meet everyone here too :hello:  )
October 31, 2007 10:57:25 AM

I have mine running at 3.2gz without problem, have same speed ram and a gigabyte p35-ds3r mobo, have increased v-core to 1.43 without any real issues and seems to e running fine, before i installed water cooling was running at a max of 45-50c under torture testing, with water cooling thats now more around 22-23c and it runs like a dream.
Have comfortably reached 3.5gz which i beleive was around 430ish fsb but dropped back to 3.2 as have no real need for the extra performance at present.
Am relatively new to o/c but read one of the many guides which suggested that anything up to 1.45v vcore wouldnt pose much issue and would increase stability.
Hope this helps
October 31, 2007 11:25:22 AM

Thanks for the advice Phunky.

Are you able to elaborate on the voltage settings you have chosen? Is the VCORE the only voltage you have manually adjusted?

Thanks
Related resources
October 31, 2007 12:32:20 PM

the vcore is the only adjustment i have made as this was easy to acess using the software provided and thus i felt safe enough playing with this.
The rest im a little unsure of so havent touched.
Read the guide on this forum and would like to alter other stuff, like memeory voltages and timings but at present am not skilled enough :D 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 31, 2007 12:56:16 PM

Jinja - On most Intel based mobos, increasing the Front Side Bus also pushes your RAM's clock speeds higher as well. This could be the source of your system's reluctance to overclock. So try setting the memory divider to UNDERclock your RAM. Most Bios' will show you the resultant as you change the divider around. If that's the case with yours (and I think it may be), then when you bump the FSB it'll bring your RAM back into spec, and the memory won't be the roadblock.
October 31, 2007 1:04:09 PM

Thanks for the help, I will try this out later today :) 
November 1, 2007 8:25:40 AM

Im going to use the same reply I posted in another similar thread.

I have an E6550 Overclocked to 3.33 from 2.33 GHz on Intel stock cooler.

Running on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R with 2 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1066 PC2-8500 and an XFX XXX 8800 GTS 640 MB factory OCed to 600 core/950(1.900) mem

CPU runs at about 57 C which aint too bad

I used this article on Toms Hardware as a guide:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/18/overclocking-gui...

I pretty much followed it to a T. Increaed all voltages exactly as shown and its been working great.

Make sure you up the FSB overvoltage to +0.3V and vcore to 1.45V, that was key for me to get past 390 mhz fsb

cpu-z screenie below

!