Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard w/ on-board video < $100 for Quad Core?

Last response: in Systems
August 23, 2007 4:52:17 AM

I'm having a hard time finding a good motherboard for the quad-core system I'm building as a home media server and for photo editing. I don't want to get a video card just yet as I don't do much gaming and also want to wait for the DirectX 10/10.1 cards to get cheaper.

What I've got so far:
- Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600)
- Corsaid PC6400 RAM (1 gig x 2)
- WD 400 Gig SATA/150 Hard drive.

So, the motherboard I get should:
- support quad core
- have 4 PC-800 slots (so that I can add more RAM later)
- have on-board audio, nic, SATA etc.
- have on-board Video
- ATX sized for better expandability

the last two turn out to be tricky and I'm unable to find good motherboards with on-board video in the $100 price range.
Any suggestions on which motherboard with onboard video I can get for <$100?
August 23, 2007 5:44:14 AM

Thanks for the pointer Dior - all I want is a good mobo with a mediocre video card for ~$100, so your combination works for me.
Do you know how this mobo overclocks?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
August 23, 2007 9:53:04 AM

Why do choose a VGA-onboard-MoBo? you've just designed a new system with quadcore. If you take an onboard VGA, You've just also created a bottle neck in your system.
August 23, 2007 11:41:22 AM

guanyu210379 said:
Why do choose a VGA-onboard-MoBo? you've just designed a new system with quadcore. If you take an onboard VGA, You've just also created a bottle neck in your system.

It won't bottleneck anything as long as he isn't doing anything that needs video. (I'm not sure if photo editing uses the video card) But it won't affect performance in anything else. Especially since he says he won't be gaming until he gets a good card anyway.
August 23, 2007 2:31:49 PM

Quote:
Why do you choose not to read the persons post?? If you read the post you would know why he doesnt need video. Geeeesh, get a clue people!! Reading comprehension is tought in the 3rd grade.

And spelling is taught in the first grade.
August 23, 2007 4:29:24 PM

As was mentioned earlier...It's extremely hard to find full ATX with IGP. If you'd just go to mATX the choices would open up. Still you'll find some problems. The 945GZ chipset won't even support quadcore, and the majority of IGP solutions can't support th 1333 MHz bus, leaving you stuck w/out future CPU upgrades. Intel's new G35 and G33 chipsets are a good idea, and there are a couple manufacturers pumping out AMD 690G based boards for LGA 775.
August 23, 2007 7:07:33 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. I've decided to go with the Abit IP35-E as suggested by Dior and basic video card (ATI X1550). This video card was priced the same as the 7200 GS that Dior recommended but seemed to have better reviews.
!