Harpertown is 59% faster than Barcelona

the_vorlon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Harpertown is 59% faster than Barcelona

......Or.. Barcelona is 10% faster clock for clock....

You can pick the headline... :)

This from the ever reliable Inquirer

http://www.chipzilla.com/?article=41868

3.2 ghz 1600 mhz fsb Harpertown (4 cores, 2 x 6 megs cache)

=> 102 GFLOPS peak (Linpack)
=> 80 GFLOPS sustained (Linpack)

2.0 ghz Barcelona

=> 64 GFLOPS peak (Linpack)
=> 55 GFLOPS sustained (Linpack)

Notes:

In Absolute terms

Harpertown is 102/64 => 1.59375 times as fast (peak)
Harpertown is 80/55 => 1.4545 times as fast (sustained)

On a clock for clock basis:

Barcelona is (3.2/2.0) / 1.59375 = 1.00392 times as fast peak (a draw given MOE)
Barcelona is (3.2/2.0) / 1.4545 = 1.1000 times as fast sustained

Other notes:

The Inquirer discribed the code being run on Barcelona as "with the most optimised new PGI compilers for the platforms"

The Inquirer discribed the code being run on the Intel machine as "not yet fully optimised"

The Intel was runnning of FB Dimms, which are not noted for great performance

Editorial Comments:

Lindpack is highly I/O intensive
Lindpack correlates poorly to the real world.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
amd should pack its baga and just make: cables, fans, lights and cases!

o ya and some onboard graphics for biz - really though

this is not unexpected seeing as intel introduces change after change and amd is just spinning - i am not surprised by this if it is true?

Like the benchmarks Toms Hardawre posts for the P4 vs Athlon are really indicative?

Cmon .. this site is DELETED INTEL Sponsored.

The Inquirer tells it how it is ... warts and all ... with some humour.

The articles on this site are deliberately manipulated to suit Intel ... who pay the rent on the building.

-Dont use that word again- Turpit

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
this site is totally pro amd

but since the change it weird - where did everyone go???

i must admit i am new i joined in jan but the site changes hands and like everyone left?

i build intel systems - amd makes fine chips - but one must feed their family!

MattC

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004
I just wanted to add that even though AMD owns TomsHardWare (and there is a CIA conspiracy to prevent the public from learning this - if I weren't posting this post from a hacked computer in russia that I access via a direct-phone-line modem connection, my family would be dead by the time most of you read this), the employees are secretly on the Intel payroll ... hence the obvious bias toward Intel, whenever the AMD-sponsored editor doesn't just re-write the articles.

Frankly, I'm sick of this ... it's time we all stopped reading this junk and started getting our computer-related news from a reliable source, like youtube.com
Youtube is the ONLY place to get real computer hardware reviews. Sadly, this will change, since Barney (longtime Logitech employee) is in the process of buying it.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

The Inquirer tells it how Charlie Demerjian wishes it was, "warts and all".

mundungus

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
I'm Sorry Reynod. Your last post isn't in line with what we feel Tom's Hardware forum's vision of strategic partnerships in the new marketplace. We're all trying to foster positive discourse accenting a few agreed upon messages that help the average reader choose partnered products with value added intelligence and insight.

If you can't add positive intellectually insightful intel on upcoming products, perhaps you shouldn't post at all.

Director Dung

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007

too funny dude!

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007

ok this is even funnier!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i get it! :ouch: :ouch: wow! in your joking your have enlightened me - ah grasshopper!

since THG got bought out everyone left due to big brother ads? ya, it sucks - well at least tom got some cash! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

-Dont use that word again- Turpit

Sorry Turpit ... oops.

mundungus's post was excellent !! heh heh ... very corporate.

I work in the corporate world ... I wish for a simpler life.

Might buy a manual typewriter ... do those Olympias overclock well??

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
If It's true then Barcelona is faster clock for clock speed, but because the Intel processors are clocked higher they still have the advantage in performance. In theory the advantage should go to AMD when they start releasing higher clocked models.

Yes, Reynod. You can overclock them by bumping the caffeine a few notches. Only problem is, any resulting instability will send the error rate through the ceiling, and a bigger HSF doesn't seem to help.

chiefwonk

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
no benchmarks were release by amd and intel in their upcoming processors but weve seen a little in penryn ....this guy is guessing

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
It's far too early to say much about the Barcelona until AMD makes some chips and boards available for testing.

The results on the initial Pennryn are encouraging simply in the fact Intel has shown a successful shrink. The slightly faster Cache seems to help but not enough to matter that much. The initial Tests seem to indicate they will not be much better than current E6x50 chips.

But we can still hope that new steppings and optimized motherboards will provide for a perceptible boost. Luckily, the odds of such a boost are likely quite high since the released product will likely be a much newer stepping.

Good post but its already been confirmed barcelona can do +3GHz. If barcelona can win clock per clock then it could be anyones guess as to which is the fastest. We must also look at the price for the 2GHz barcelona and the 3.2GHz Harpertown in the short run.