GA-P35-DS3R sound from front panel only

lcooksey

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
I see a number of posts in this forum from people having sound problems, but didn't see one that matched the problem I'm having. I have a GA-P35-DS3R rev 1.0 with Windows XP SP2 installed (and all updates applied). I installed the latest Realtek and Microsoft audio drivers (bundled as R1.72 on Gigabyte's US site. dated 2007/07/30). No ! or ? show in Device Manager. Case is Antec Sonata III, using the HDA connector for the front panel audio port.

When I plug the connector for my speakers (old Yamaha set with two desktop speakers and a subwoofer) into the front panel, I get sound from the speakers. When I plug them into any of the back panel ports, the Realtek Sound Effect Manager software detects it, and asks me what I've plugged in. No matter what I select (Side speakers, Center, etc.) for the speakers, of what speaker configuration I pick (2, 4, etc.) I don't get any sound using the back ports.

Has anyone else run into this? Even better, has anyone fixed it? :)

Thanks,
LC

grimskull

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
Ì had a similar problem, but in reverse! The back audio worked but the front didnt, got it going tho!
There is an updated driver 1.75 on the web for Realtek.

On the manual there is a front sound option listed, you have to select an option to enable the sound for both front and back. Its on P 93. i think. if you click in the Realtek speaker icon on the taskbar it will open up, under audio I/O, click on the blue icon beside the analog and disable front audio. http://europe.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-p35-dq6_e.pdf

jkeough41

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
all i could find is "disable front jack detection" i'm assuming that was it and it did nothing. I also forgot to mention i can get headphones to work from the front panel. the other post seems to have the same problem so people can respond to either.
Also i did install 1.75 from realtek's site

lcooksey

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007

No. However, Realtek apparently thinks there is something plugged in. The Audio I/O tab in the Realtek manager shows that headphones are plugged into the front, even when there is nothing there. So I went into the Connector Settings dialog and unchecked "Mute rear panel output when front headphone plugged in" and now I have sound out the back.

I'll have to check out the updated v1.75 driver. Thanks, all!