Solved

Cannot access Calculator, Paint and WordPad

Tags:
  • System32
  • Accessories
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
February 15, 2010 9:37:13 PM

Can anyone please figure out why the Windows Accessories Programs "Calculator," "Paint," and "Wordpad" appear to have been disabled in my PC (XP Professional)?

I tried to find where the "Calculator" program may be lodged in the hard drive, for example, so as to bring back the application from wherever it is apparently hiding.

I typed "C:WINDOWS/system32/calc.exe" into the "Run" command. The message box that opened read like this: "Windows cannot find C:WINDOWS/system32/calc.exe." The message box then suggests to "....click the Start button, and then click Search."

"Search" could not find the file. But it was accessible before from the Start-> Menu->All Programs->Accessories.

Any helpful suggestions would be most welcome.

More about : access calculator paint wordpad

Best solution

February 15, 2010 11:03:35 PM

Those programs are all inherent programs of the OS installation. Sounds ike the system registry is corrupted. Try a registry cleaner/fix. f that doesn't work, a repair install of XP would correct any registry problem.

Try a registry repair software like this.

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5927
February 16, 2010 1:09:58 AM

Start-->control panel-->add/remove programs-->add/remove windows components-->with accessories highlighted, click details-->check the boxes of the items you want to install-->click ok.

The items will be installed and accessible from the accessories section of the start menu.
m
l
Related resources
February 16, 2010 1:50:19 AM

aford10 said:
Start-->control panel-->add/remove programs-->add/remove windows components-->with accessories highlighted, click details-->check the boxes of the items you want to install-->click ok.

The items will be installed and accessible from the accessories section of the start menu.

I had never used this method. Be interesting to see if doing this fixed the OP's problem. Thanks.
m
l
February 16, 2010 1:52:29 AM

It's a handy feature for built in windows components.
m
l
February 16, 2010 3:02:07 AM

have you checked your antivirus Quarantine . it may have it.. some time when virus get into your and affects system files then your antivirus take them to its quarantine..
m
l
February 16, 2010 4:52:37 AM

aford10 said:
It's a handy feature for built in windows components.

Is there a way to enable built in features like this in Vista?
m
l
February 16, 2010 10:48:09 AM

badge said:
Is there a way to enable built in features like this in Vista?

If I remember right, it's in control panel-->programs-->windows features on/off.
m
l
February 17, 2010 4:38:58 PM

Dear friends,

It turns out that I cannot access the "Add/Remove Windows components" in the "Add/Remove Programs" ( I have posted a question in this Forum concerning this problem).

But now, thank you ever so much badge for the following:

Quote:
Those programs are all inherent programs of the OS installation. Sounds ike the system registry is corrupted. Try a registry cleaner/fix. f that doesn't work, a repair install of XP would correct any registry problem.

Try a registry repair software like this.

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5927

This Registry Repair at "majorgeeks.com" I passionately recommend for the following reasons:
I have used 3 other registry repair programs (2 were actually purchased) that were highly advertised as being the best in the business. None of them achieved the results that the "System Care Free" program did.

For one thing, it brought back the WordPad program from wherever it was hidden inside the PC's brain. It "searched" for the "Calculator" program, but it was "not found," (maybe it was gone even before I purchased the refurbished hard drive). It found the "MSPaint" application, but "Windows" could "not open" it. "Paint" was nowhere to be found, so that all that "Windows" could do was open the "Fax Viewer," and nothing more. However, "Windows" then pointed to "Microsoft Office Picture Manager" as an alternative program...I felt so sorry for the OS! I guess it was just trying to be helpful. But all this happened after the OS was "repaired" by "System Care Free." A whole lot of other improvements also surfaced.

However, after I had a nasty experience with Adobe Reader 9.3 (a topic I have posted in yet another Forum related to the "Adobe Download Manager"), I learned that I could find alternatives to a missing program, or an application that has been removed.

Happily enough, I have found excellent replacements for both "Calculator" and "Paint."

Guess this fixes this set of problems for me, and hopefully, this will help others with similar problems.

Thank you again.
m
l
February 17, 2010 4:39:56 PM

Best answer selected by webgirl.
m
l