Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

How to "Clean" and apply "Thermal Compound" on a 8800 GTS 640MB GPU?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Thermal Compound
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
September 4, 2007 9:27:52 PM

First of all, I am new to this forum. However, I've been on all sorts of forums online under the username "moh.vze.com" or "vietpho", so If you google me, you'll see that I'm not a forum noob :love: .

I understand that a guy like me with "0" post counts will probably not get much respect or even a reply on a forum post such as this one. But, being new and everything, I'll take my chances and see if I get much love :bounce:  and help from this wonderful community.
Another thing you should know about me is, I am new to the whole "building a computer" thing. I've recently bought 2,400$ worth of computer parts and I've been doing a lot of reading and research before I actually put together everything.
Anyways, that's enough introduction about me, let's get to the topic!

HR-03 Plus + GTS 8800 640MB - The "Cleaning" and "Thermal Compound" process...

I have a question regards the "cleaning" process within this guide:
http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_support_installation_hr03-plus.htm#type1

Step 4 of this guide states the following:

Quote:
Clean off the paste and any residue for best contact and adhesiveness.

Tell me if this is what I'm suppose to do:
1) Wipe off as much of the stock Thermal Compound of the core and RAMsinks as possible (Scraping with a Credit Card).

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/ac/ins_arcticlean.pdf
2) Apply a drop of " ArctiClean 1 Thermal Material Remover" to the 8 RAM chips and the big core thing? Wait 30-60 seconds for it to dissolve into it and then wipe those things clean?

3) Apply "ArctiClean 2 Thermal Surface Purifier" to the 8 RAM chips and core to dissolve the remainings.

Ok, finally, step 4 is where I am confused also. It states the following for applying "Thermal Compound":

Quote:

Insert the push pins though the holes from the HSI heatsink indicated by the red circles and apply thermal compound to the bottom as well as on the HSI chipset and then stick it on top of the HSI chipset.

My first question for this is, what type of "Thermal Compound" am I suppose to apply to the bottom of the RAMsink and the HSI chipset: "Arctic Silver 5 or "Arctic Alumina"?
To tell you the truth, I don't even know what the "Arctic Alumina - Part A + Part B" is for... Why did I buy it?

My final question is, how much "Thermal Compound" am I suppose to apply to the bottom of the RAMSinks and the top of the HSI Chipset?

Thank you for reading! I Hope to get some suggestions!

More about : clean apply thermal compound 8800 gts 640mb gpu

September 4, 2007 9:31:37 PM

Oh, and my main purpose for doing all of this is to add my HR-03-plus+120mm Scythe SFF21F S-FLEX to the 8800 GTS GPU.

September 4, 2007 10:08:06 PM

I have never used Arctic Alumina and don't know much about it but there are basically two types of Thermal Interface Material, Those that are liquid when hot and those that essentally glue the heat sink to the object needing cooling. The second type is usually in the form of things such as thermal tape which is designed to hold the heat sink on when using it for things like RAM sinks. The first type includes products like AS5 where there is something else be it mechanical or pressure holding the heat sink on.

From the look of your heat sinks either would work as you have mechanical pressure in the form of push pins holding the sinks on, as for the amount they specify just be sure if you apply to both surfaces that you do very thinly otherwise you'll be blocking rather than transfering the heat.
Related resources
September 4, 2007 10:11:39 PM

ausch30 said:

From the look of your heat sinks either would work as you have mechanical pressure in the form of push pins holding the sinks on, as for the amount they specify just be sure if you apply to both surfaces that you do very thinly otherwise you'll be blocking rather than transfering the heat.

Thanks for replying!

So, I should apply the AS5? The instruction said to apply "Thermal compound" to the top of the HSI Chipset and the bottom of the RAMsinks. Should I just apply to the top of the HSI Chipset? Or should I just follow the instructions and apply to both?

Confused :ouch:  :( 

September 4, 2007 10:16:38 PM

I just read Artic Silver's site and Arctic Alumina is another type that glues the sink to the IC. Either would be fine to use and I would suggest what ever method they specify due to the fact they have a lot of people that get paid to determine the best way to apply or install their products, just make sure you apply it very thinly.
September 4, 2007 11:30:39 PM

Ooo. I reread the guide: http://www.thermalright.com/a_page/main_support_install...

And it appears that I am only suppose to apply "thermal compound" to the heatsink and the big square chipset thing (not the small pieces). The small pieces thingys have tape under them and get stucked onto the slots of the GPU.

My question now is, do I use the "Thermal paste" that came with my HR-03 plus heatsink or do I use "Arctic silver5" for the heatsink and chip thing?

I heard AS5 would cause the gpu to fry...
September 4, 2007 11:50:54 PM

I've never read of a problem with AS5 frying a chip, I think you'll be safe.
September 5, 2007 12:08:24 AM

ausch30 said:
I've never read of a problem with AS5 frying a chip, I think you'll be safe.

Ok, you are pretty sure AS5 can be used for the 8800 GTS and HR-03 plus yes? :love: 
September 5, 2007 12:46:46 AM

VietPho said:
Ok, you are pretty sure AS5 can be used for the 8800 GTS and HR-03 plus yes? :love: 

Pretty much, unless you have bad ventilation in your case. Stick with Arctic silver cause it's better, but be careful not to get it on the board.
September 5, 2007 2:35:40 AM

Great... now I'm having trouble googling for the best "technique" in applying AS5 onto the heatspreader.

Do I use the "Line" method like I did with my Q6600?
September 5, 2007 3:39:19 AM

That would likely be the best way but you could also try covering the whole surface. I have used AS5 on video cards before and never had a problem, if you have a way on monitoring temps do it both ways and see which is the best.