Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PLEASE HELP

Last response: in Windows 7
August 18, 2011 1:04:45 PM

Hello,
I have an emachine that has no internal modem so I have to use an external modem for dial-up internet connections. My port speed connects at 115200 even though my usb is enhanced, can someone tell me what is going on ???

More about : question

a c 232 $ Windows 7
August 18, 2011 5:30:33 PM

Port speed and connection speed are really 2 different things altogether. Port speed tells you how fast the computer can pass data through the port to the modem. Connection speed is the fastest, negotiated speed set by the modem for the line conditions on your phone line. They will never be the same as the port speed is always faster than your connection speed.

So, what speed are you typically connecting at?
August 19, 2011 6:34:26 PM

COLGeek said:
Port speed and connection speed are really 2 different things altogether. Port speed tells you how fast the computer can pass data through the port to the modem. Connection speed is the fastest, negotiated speed set by the modem for the line conditions on your phone line. They will never be the same as the port speed is always faster than your connection speed.

So, what speed are you typically connecting at?

each time I sign on to the internet, it says con nected at 115200bps, and yes that is what my pc also says that my max port speed is 115200bps. The external modem I use is a ZOOM 56k V.92/V.90 other than that I don't know because I am not all that smart about pc's.
Related resources
a c 232 $ Windows 7
August 19, 2011 6:38:53 PM

Not a problem. You are connecting, actually, at a much lower rate than 115k. The max for V.90 is 56k and than requires clean, quiet, excellent phone lines. With compression, you can get a higher effective rate.

As long as you able to use your dial-up to get stuff done, you are likely okay. Really only so much you can do with a phone line and a modem.
August 20, 2011 10:43:37 AM

Thank you for your reply !!! I guess that is what I get for getting a new pc, maybe it would be better if I find an older one with a faster port speed that works with a dial-up connection.
a c 232 $ Windows 7
August 20, 2011 3:47:30 PM

With a dial-up connection, a newer, faster PC will have impact on making the connection faster. The issue is the speed of the connection, not the PC. In fact, a 10 year old PC would still be "faster" in terms of processing the data than the dial-up connection can provide.

Good luck!
August 20, 2011 3:56:43 PM

when I checked on my pc to see what the port speed is, it says that the max port speed is only 115200bps, I did talk to a pc tech, and he says that this is the normal speed for the newer pc's because everyone is going to dsl or something else. I live in the country where there is no dsl so I am stuck with this dial-up. I did have hughesnet at one time, but it gave me so much trouble I had it turned off.
a c 232 $ Windows 7
August 20, 2011 4:04:49 PM

Understood. What the tech was talking about was the port speed. A serial port (the type used with PCs) can only pass data at the 115k rate. The modem can operate at 56k. Through compression schemes, you can get a higher effective rate, but the "pipe" is still very small compared to DSL or cable modem access.

Understood on living in the country. My father-in-law has the same issue with no viable alternatives.

Until you have another means to connect, your dial-up is already maxed out. Sorry.
August 20, 2011 4:12:52 PM

when my wife signs on the internet, she signs on faster than I do, and she can download things about twice as fast as I do. She is also on a dial-up connection and her pc is a lot older than mine. To show you how old her pc is, it came with windows me on it, and I installed windows xp and she has no trouble at all.
a c 232 $ Windows 7
August 21, 2011 1:58:29 AM

The "cleanness" of the phone line you are using is likely the difference. When trying to clean up my father-in-law's phone lines, we ran a dedicated line from the home line entry point directly to his modem. Got a great connection.

As soon as we connected the main lines in the house, it went right back to where we started....bad.

A dedicated phone line for dial-ups, with only a single jack for the modem is your best bet.
a b $ Windows 7
August 21, 2011 2:33:59 AM

Bgmartan, is your wife also using the same connection as you do? Just wondering, she could be on ISDN.
August 21, 2011 10:01:06 AM

Pyree said:
Bgmartan, is your wife also using the same connection as you do? Just wondering, she could be on ISDN.

My wife and I are on different phone lines. She has one phone connected to her pc, but I have the rest of the house connected to mine.
a b $ Windows 7
August 21, 2011 10:05:19 AM

If she's on a different phone line, that could explain why she dl 2x as fast as you because ISDN is about 2x dial-up, she could be on ISDN. I really suspect that, check with service provider.
a c 232 $ Windows 7
August 21, 2011 2:22:24 PM

bgmartan said:
My wife and I are on different phone lines. She has one phone connected to her pc, but I have the rest of the house connected to mine.

This is the root of your problem, sir. As you add connections to phone lines, you add more static/noise and lose signal strength.
a b $ Windows 7
August 21, 2011 2:29:50 PM

So bgmartan, what is the dl speed you are getting? There is noting to worry about as long as your dial-up is at around 5-6kbps (thinking back hard on what speed I usually get on dial-up).
August 28, 2011 3:39:05 AM

when I start to run dl it will start off at about 6 or 7 kbps and then start slowing down. some times it will get as low as 1.2 bps. :fou:  I am about ready to pull my hair out (what little bit I have left). I have even tried to swap the phone lines to see if it would do any better, but they are still the same results !!!
a b $ Windows 7
August 28, 2011 5:01:00 AM

Now this could be the modem's problem. Try plugging usb modem to the other computer and let the other computer connected through your modem. The port speed is fine but there could be other hardware problem.
August 28, 2011 12:36:29 PM

Pyree said:
Now this could be the modem's problem. Try plugging usb modem to the other computer and let the other computer connected through your modem. The port speed is fine but there could be other hardware problem.

Been there done that also, it works just fine on her pc !!!
a b $ Windows 7
August 28, 2011 12:54:14 PM

Sigh. I don't think I can contribute more in solving this problem. I was still in primary school during the time when people use dial-up and didn't know a crap about computer back then.

At least we can confidently say is is a pc problem. But other than that I am just as clueless.
August 28, 2011 1:19:36 PM

Pyree said:
Sigh. I don't think I can contribute more in solving this problem. I was still in primary school during the time when people use dial-up and didn't know a crap about computer back then.

At least we can confidently say is is a pc problem. But other than that I am just as clueless.

Thanks for trying to help me pyree, I am about ready to throw my hands in the air and give up on this mess. I think it might be better if I junk this emachine and go back to an older pc !!!
a c 232 $ Windows 7
August 28, 2011 8:12:03 PM

This is not a PC problem, but a line problem, as described. When you wife's computer is connected to your modem to your line, what happens?
August 28, 2011 9:41:49 PM

COLGeek said:
This is not a PC problem, but a line problem, as described. When you wife's computer is connected to your modem to your line, what happens?

When I hook my modem and line to my wife's pc, they work just fine. When I hook my modem and her line to her pc, they work just fine. But then again, when I hook my modem and my line to my pc I get connected at 115200bps. If I hook my modem and my wife's line to my pc, I get connected at 115200.. NEXT ???
a c 232 $ Windows 7
August 29, 2011 2:04:49 AM

Do you connect via a serial port or USB?
August 29, 2011 11:03:54 AM

COLGeek said:
Do you connect via a serial port or USB?

I use a usb port.
a b $ Windows 7
August 29, 2011 11:09:40 AM

usb connection... driver could be a problem (I doubt it if you haven't try an update already).
August 29, 2011 11:17:24 AM

Pyree said:
usb connection... driver could be a problem (I doubt it if you haven't try an update already).

I have the latest drivers available. When I talked to a tech about this issue, he said that 115200bps is normal for these new pc's.... I was just in hopes that he might have been wrong.
a b $ Windows 7
August 29, 2011 11:21:01 AM

I have to agree with tech support on this one. 115200bps (14KBps) is faster than dial-up (7KBps) so the port should not be a bottle-neck.
August 29, 2011 11:26:32 AM

Pyree said:
I have to agree with tech support on this one. 115200bps (14KBps) is faster than dial-up (7KBps) so the port should not be a bottle-neck.

Can you please explain why my dl speed is so slow ??? When I first start out running a dl, it starts at about 6 or 7 kbps, and then it will drop down as low as 1.2kbps... It even does this early in the morning when there are very few people on line !!!
a b $ Windows 7
August 29, 2011 11:31:39 AM

That is also a mystery I have no clue on. I am starting to think there may be some problem on the software side of things (wrong proxy settings that sort of things or firewall settings problem). Can you check your firewall? Also can you check whether you are behind a proxy server?
a c 232 $ Windows 7
August 29, 2011 11:33:36 AM

bgmartan said:
Can you please explain why my dl speed is so slow ??? When I first start out running a dl, it starts at about 6 or 7 kbps, and then it will drop down as low as 1.2kbps... It even does this early in the morning when there are very few people on line !!!

That is a buffering issue. Is your USB port version 1.1 or version 2? If you don't know, what make and model is your motherboard? Also, are you connecting to a port connected directly to your motherboard or via a USB port connected via the front panel or additional USB adapter (connects to USB header with USB ports on a bracket)? Ideally, you would connect to one of the ports connected directly to the motherboard.
a b $ Windows 7
August 29, 2011 11:38:02 AM

We must solve this problem. It is a matter of pride. If a bronz and a silver expert cannot solve it by combined effort, it makes THW reputation to go down among other computer forum.
August 29, 2011 11:39:19 AM

Pyree said:
That is also a mystery I have no clue on. I am starting to think there may be some problem on the software side of things (wrong proxy settings that sort of things or firewall settings problem). Can you check your firewall? Also can you check whether you are behind a proxy server?

I have talked with AOL techs about the issue, and they said that they would run a check to see if it was a server issue. Since my wife and I both use the same access number, do you think it could be the server because it works just fine on her pc... We have gone through all the settings on my pc to make sure AOL is allowed, but nothing seems to work any better than the other. This whole mess is starting to get under my skin. :fou: 
August 29, 2011 11:44:39 AM

COLGeek said:
That is a buffering issue. Is your USB port version 1.1 or version 2? If you don't know, what make and model is your motherboard? Also, are you connecting to a port connected directly to your motherboard or via a USB port connected via the front panel or additional USB adapter (connects to USB header with USB ports on a bracket)? Ideally, you would connect to one of the ports connected directly to the motherboard.

I use a usb port version 2, but I cannot tell you for sure if it is connected to the motherboard or not. If I am not mistaken, it is on a bracket in the back of the pc.
a b $ Windows 7
August 29, 2011 11:47:16 AM

So what webbrowser are you using or is the slow down occuring regardless whether you are using download manager, web browser, p2p, etc?
August 29, 2011 11:51:27 AM

Pyree said:
So what webbrowser are you using or is the slow down occuring regardless whether you are using download manager, web browser, p2p, etc?

When I connect to the web, I go straight with AOL !!! They say they usae IE, but I am not sure. I use the IE8 browser, and it still does the same thing when down loading.
a c 232 $ Windows 7
August 29, 2011 12:51:07 PM

bgmartan said:
I use a usb port version 2, but I cannot tell you for sure if it is connected to the motherboard or not. If I am not mistaken, it is on a bracket in the back of the pc.

Are you plugging into a port that is near the PS2 keyboard and mouse ports or one of the up-right ports/brackets further away from all of the motherboard connectors (that silver plate is called the ATX or I/O panel)? I assume you are plugging into a port that is accessible via the I/O panel. Correct?
August 29, 2011 1:03:28 PM

COLGeek said:
Are you plugging into a port that is near the PS2 keyboard and mouse ports or one of the up-right ports/brackets further away from all of the motherboard connectors (that silver plate is called the ATX or I/O panel)? I assume you are plugging into a port that is accessible via the I/O panel. Correct?

The usb port I use is located below the mouse and keyboard ports on the back of my pc, there are three of them all together. There is also two other usb ports on the front of my unit. I have tried each port to see if they have different speeds, but all are the same. I also use a wireless keyboard and mouse, and I have their reciever in one of the usb ports located on the front of my unit. Without taking the unit apart, I cannot tell you for sure if all of the usb ports on the back are hooked to the same board.
a c 232 $ Windows 7
August 29, 2011 1:08:37 PM

bgmartan said:
The usb port I use is located below the mouse and keyboard ports on the back of my pc, there are three of them all together. There is also two other usb ports on the front of my unit. I have tried each port to see if they have different speeds, but all are the same. I also use a wireless keyboard and mouse, and I have their reciever in one of the usb ports located on the front of my unit. Without taking the unit apart, I cannot tell you for sure if all of the usb ports on the back are hooked to the same board.

No problem, sounds like you are connected directly into the motherboard. Since you are on dial-up, I am concerned that Windows is up to date. Are you current on all of the updates, including Service Pack 1?
August 29, 2011 1:12:02 PM

COLGeek said:
No problem, sounds like you are connected directly into the motherboard. Since you are on dial-up, I am concerned that Windows is up to date. Are you current on all of the updates, including Service Pack 1?

I run windows 7 home premium, and if I am not wrong I think I have the service pack 2... and yes they are all up to date...
a b $ Windows 7
August 29, 2011 1:42:42 PM

COLGeek said:
This is the root of your problem, sir. As you add connections to phone lines, you add more static/noise and lose signal strength.

I think this was the problem on hand ^

Reading the thread nothing says that it isn't. So I don't know why you guys are trying to ignore the fact that he has the rest of the house connected to his phone line while his wife seems to be on a separate phone line altogether.

I bet if he asked the ISP to send a tech over to measure signal strength his wife's would be 2x of his.
August 29, 2011 1:53:52 PM

AntiZig said:
I think this was the problem on hand ^

Reading the thread nothing says that it isn't. So I don't know why you guys are trying to ignore the fact that he has the rest of the house connected to his phone line while his wife seems to be on a separate phone line altogether.

I bet if he asked the ISP to send a tech over to measure signal strength his wife's would be 2x of his.

If you feel that this is the problem sir, then please explain why my wife's pc works just fine when we hook my phone line up to her pc ???
I can hook my modem and line to her pc, and it works just fine, where as I can hook her line to my pc and I still have the same problem.
a c 288 $ Windows 7
August 29, 2011 2:42:31 PM

Are you both dialing the same ISP and number to connect?

When you connect, what does it say the speed is in the icon by the clock on both computers? Is that where it states you are connected at 112k? Does not seem right unless you are using a "shotgun" dial-up connection which is pretty rare. That's when your ISP can use 2 modems to tie them into one fatter pipe. A normal model is limited to 56k, so something is not right there.

Both PCs running XP?

Note that on many sites, when you start a download, it always starts up faster than it eventually settles down on.

The max you can get with a 56k modem is 7kb a second, but that is almlost never the case.

August 29, 2011 9:36:59 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Are you both dialing the same ISP and number to connect?

When you connect, what does it say the speed is in the icon by the clock on both computers? Is that where it states you are connected at 112k? Does not seem right unless you are using a "shotgun" dial-up connection which is pretty rare. That's when your ISP can use 2 modems to tie them into one fatter pipe. A normal model is limited to 56k, so something is not right there.

Both PCs running XP?

Note that on many sites, when you start a download, it always starts up faster than it eventually settles down on.

The max you can get with a 56k modem is 7kb a second, but that is almlost never the case.

When my wife signs on, it says that it is connected at 28800kps, and when I sign on it says that I am connected at 115200bps... We both use the same number to dial in for our connection. We only have one local access number for our area.
a c 288 $ Windows 7
August 29, 2011 9:50:05 PM

The only thing left really is to check the modem settings on your computer, did the AOL techs go over that with you? And you have no other internet connection options? DSL, FIOS, CABLE? Just a basic broadband connection is not much more expensive than dial-up, and is way easier to deal with and is much faster.
August 29, 2011 9:57:35 PM

hang-the-9 said:
The only thing left really is to check the modem settings on your computer, did the AOL techs go over that with you? And you have no other internet connection options? DSL, FIOS, CABLE? Just a basic broadband connection is not much more expensive than dial-up, and is way easier to deal with and is much faster.

We have already checked the modem settings on my pc, and all is well. As for dsl, we live in the country and at&t says that they have no plans to extend their dsl any farther my way. I did have hughesnet at one time, but I did not have anything but trouble from them and had it cut off.
a c 288 $ Windows 7
August 29, 2011 10:15:14 PM

How about a cell modem? Do you get cell phone service where you are? Although more pricy than regular broadband, it should be cheaper than the hughesnet sattelite you had. You can setup a cell modem on one PC, and share it though ICS to the other computer. Just make sure you get a plan and service provider that works with your usage rate, as they tend to charge out the nose for any over the limit data.
August 30, 2011 2:37:57 AM

hang-the-9 said:
How about a cell modem? Do you get cell phone service where you are? Although more pricy than regular broadband, it should be cheaper than the hughesnet sattelite you had. You can setup a cell modem on one PC, and share it though ICS to the other computer. Just make sure you get a plan and service provider that works with your usage rate, as they tend to charge out the nose for any over the limit data.

I have checked into the cell modem bit, and they are a little out of my range when it comes to cost. We live off what my wife earns, and that is not very much. But thank you for the tip.
a c 232 $ Windows 7
August 30, 2011 3:10:18 AM

bgmartan said:
I run windows 7 home premium, and if I am not wrong I think I have the service pack 2... and yes they are all up to date...

Win 7 is only up to SP1. However, that is irrelevant if all other updates are installed. Is this the same for both your and the wife's computer?
!