kimfeiyip

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
Hi,

Basically I have a new Maximus Formula (after replacing p5k-premium of its buggy hdd probs) with q6600.

I can OC 9x400 fine for 3.6ghz.

BUT

If i tried lowering the muliplier for 8x450 setup, it wouldn't boot, after playing around with the voltage, i got it to boot but the mb(boot screen where it says count:4) and windows only reconize 2 cores.

I then went to lower the multiplier to 7x450 and 6x450 to see if it was cpu limitation but both won't boot properly either.

I also tried 9x450 just to see if it will goto bios screen at least, but also the same result (only see 2 cores).

Lowering the fsb I found this problem occurs around the 420 mark regardless of the multiplier. Other Max Formula owners reports over 500fsb stable, so I don't see why I'm doing so bad.

I do have slight heating problem, my Artic Freezer Pro 7 after serving 3 cpus seems to be giving up, 80oC at 3.6ghz under load, I have Ther Ultra Extreme on the way soon, but I don't think heating is a problem if it won't boot properly.

Another suspicion is my PSU, only 460W (Asaka), q6600 isn't that power hungry right? My graphics is only a puny 7900gs so it shouldn't use much power.

ahhh im out of ideas :cry:

System:
Q6600 G0 (Artic Freezer 7)
Maximus Formula SE
2x1gb Crucial Ballistix 6400
2xHitachi 7k250 Raid0
1x SATA Plextor DVD writer/combo

akhilles

Splendid
The Freezer is a bit lacking for 3.6ghz o/c. You would use a top of the line air cooler.

You have to know that there's a FSB wall/limit/strap where you can't get a stable o/c. If you hit a wall, you can either back down one notch or up it. i.e.

8x449

If you want to be good at it, keep trying. Google your board & read through a 100+ pages of discussion. Find out about the FSB strap(s) & vdroop of your board.