Sign in with
Your question

Just a question about Water Cooling with QX6700 & sli Ultras

Last response: in Overclocking
November 1, 2007 6:53:01 PM

I recently build a new rig, it all went well and everything. Until i checked the temperatures with Core Temp and NV Monitor. It Idles at 55c from what coreTemp shows and at load around 77c. Keeping in mind that the CPU is not the only thing that is water cooled. the loop includes CPU + 2x 8800 Ultras. The ultras are showing 50C idle both.

My question is my system running way to hot or is this temp okey with 2 GPUs and CPU?

*edit* the cooling kit is the Swiftech Apex Ultra with 2 GPU water blocks and the CPU is OC'd just by hitting the multiplier up once from 10 to 11 so its showing at 2.93GHz
November 2, 2007 1:56:02 AM

itotallybelieveyou said:
what??? wayyy to hot for wc

what do you think might be the problem? and what should be the Idle / load temps?
Related resources
November 2, 2007 2:45:48 PM

We need to know more about what hardware you used to build your rig. Including how you have your loop setup (res->pump->rad->cpu->gpu1->gpu2->res). This way we can try to help you as much as we can.

-ouch1
November 2, 2007 7:35:54 PM

ouch1 said:
We need to know more about what hardware you used to build your rig. Including how you have your loop setup (res->pump->rad->cpu->gpu1->gpu2->res). This way we can try to help you as much as we can.

-ouch1

The loop is exactly how u posted it res->pump->rad->cpu->gpu1->gpu2->res
November 4, 2007 7:20:22 PM

What size/type radiator have you got?

And ambient temp? Check if fitted tightly and what are specs of pump/ is water flowing ect :) 

I expect you are wise enough to have bought a good rad and good pump with good max head? the water might not be flowing :o 
November 4, 2007 7:22:11 PM

Oh, sorry I just read your edit...

You have full cover blocks or single VGA blocks?

Full cover will be warmer :) 
November 5, 2007 3:48:27 PM

Adam,

Did you completely burp your system. AKA get all of the bubbles out (even in the rad)?

-ouch1
November 9, 2007 10:49:14 PM

For that you'll need a 120.3mm rad and its best to position it before the resevoir.

WC'ing so messy, glad im going with lots of heatsinks instead :D 
November 12, 2007 10:34:06 PM

Hmm it almost sounds like bad mounting. But I could be wrong. Try removing and reseating the waterblocks (after you clean off the TIM already installed). Also try turning up the fans to thier max to see ifthe temps drop more.

-ouch1
November 15, 2007 7:00:02 PM

adam884 said:
I*edit* the cooling kit is the Swiftech Apex Ultra with 2 GPU water blocks and the CPU is OC'd just by hitting the multiplier up once from 10 to 11 so its showing at 2.93GHz

If you have the MCR220 rad (2 x 120mm fans) then that's way too much heat for that rad to handle. You'll need at least a 3x120 rad with some high flow fans, and possibly consider two separate loops - one for the cpu and one for the GPUs. As someone suggested, reseating the water block might help, but that's still a lot of heat for three blocks.

Is it the Apogee GT or the original Apogee? Did you insert the larger O-ring to bow it? That would cut 2-5C.
November 16, 2007 4:26:55 PM

Wont need 2 separate loops, costs 2 much too much space and all that.

Upgrade to a 360mm (120.3) Radiator and 60CFM+ fans. Position it BEFORE the reservoir.

So it goes:

Res -> Pump -> CPU -> GPU1 -> GPU2 -> Radiator ->Res

Temps probably wont pass 40.
November 18, 2007 4:13:00 PM

Hatman said:
Wont need 2 separate loops, costs 2 much too much space and all that.

Upgrade to a 360mm (120.3) Radiator and 60CFM+ fans. Position it BEFORE the reservoir.

So it goes:

Res -> Pump -> CPU -> GPU1 -> GPU2 -> Radiator ->Res

Temps probably wont pass 40.

Agreed, I would try the 360mm rad (my choice would be a PA120.3) before I'd go to a 2nd loop myself. However, I'd configure the loop in this order:

Res-> Pump -> Rad ->CPU ->GPU1 ->GPU2 ->res

That way the water is cooled by the rad just before hitting the water blocks. Either way, the order probably won't make more than a 2C difference.
November 18, 2007 5:27:39 PM

On the other hand you get a hot resevoir, the idea behind cool water in res is that when it mixes it will further lose heat.

November 18, 2007 8:38:02 PM

Hatman said:
On the other hand you get a hot resevoir, the idea behind cool water in res is that when it mixes it will further lose heat.

I'm not trying to cool the resevoir, but the blocks (smile). Either way, the temp dif would only be a degree or maybe two across the entire loop. I don't know if I'd re-route my whole setup just for that. Maybe on the next maintenance cycle.
November 19, 2007 4:16:48 AM

If you look at the arrangement of your components in the loop you'll see that the GPUs suffer from having to deal with their own heat AND the heat generated by the CPU. The last GPU in the loop is especially having to deal with extreme heat. Ideally, two rads, one placed AFTER the CPU and one placed AFTER both GPUs would allow for your cooling loop to have a much more efficient function.

Reservoir - pump - CPU - Rad - GPU - GPU - Rad - back to reservoir

In this configuration, heat from each component is dealt with in some fashion before the next component in the cycle.
November 19, 2007 1:29:16 PM

Haha! Three different people and three difference opinions on loop order. Here is Swiftech's opinion on loop order:

"From a performance standpoint there is very little performance to be gained from strictly controlling the component sequence: the maximum delta T (difference in temperature) between any two points of the liquid cooling circuit does not exceed 1ÂșC. Whenever possible, performance oriented users will typically want to route the radiator discharge(s) tube(s) to the inlet of the CPU cooler, since the fluid exiting the radiators is always the coolest."
http://www.swiftech.com/products/installation_guide_h20...

I think there are a couple of areas of agreement:

1. The single Swiftech 220 radiator CAN'T handle the heat of an OC'd cpu and two GPUs.
2. The only MUST in loop order is that you go from res out to pump in no matter what the remaining order is - with the res being at the highest point in the loop.

You're going to need another rad regardless. That means you'll end up with two rads - the one you have and the one you need to purchase. The two rads in a single loop might work. In that case I'd get a 120 rad (if I could fit it in the case) or another 220 external. If you don't have room for two rads, then your next option would be a great 360 rad like the Thermochill PA120.3 and some high performance fans.

If that doesn't cool it down to your requirements, then I'd still consider two separate loops at that point (if you have the room for a 2nd pump and res (or T line) in your case).
November 19, 2007 7:30:34 PM

I think it makes a big difference when dealing with component heat output - especially if you o'clock. Having the heat output from an o'clocked Q6700 flow directly to an SLI setup - without the benefit of a rad between the two - will add to the heat that the GPU waterblocks are going to collect. It's not enough to cool the loop all at once. Rather, the loop should be cooled in such a way so that the major components do not have to suffer from - not only their own heat output but - the added heat from another major component.

For me, it's especially evident because I use a TEC waterblock for my CPU and the heat it puts out is tremendous.
!