Sign in with
Your question

Q3 and UT - FPS and OpenGL

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
September 23, 2001 1:39:39 AM

I just installed Q3 and UT.

Q3 worked fine with no tweaking needed, but I lost 10 FPS compared to under Windoze. Any thing I can do to speed it up other then reducing the rez or color ?

UT starts fine, but when I try to change the rez to above 640-480, the display is garbled. I can't change to OpenGL. I
edited the ini as follows, but it made no diff, still says SDL opengl

GameRenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice
WindowedRenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice
RenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice

BTW I have V 436

-N-

The sum of the intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.

More about : fps opengl

Anonymous
September 23, 2001 4:13:57 AM

you're using the NVIDIA drivers, right? (in earlier post)

One thing I found was that installing the Mesa libs as well as NVIDIA drivers slowed if down a heap. I was getting 200 fps in "gears", but it dropped to 110 with Mesa there.

There's some settings you can play with in the driver that might speed it up a little. Check the readme on their site.

dunno about UT...
September 24, 2001 3:15:42 AM

ja, nVidia sticks customized Mesa libs in your X installation. If you don't have your GL apps linking against that, they run like *gag* software OpenGL.

also, if you're just using embedded X11 drivers, you *don't* want to replace XFree86's GL libs with Mesa GL libs. The XFree86 GL libs are taken from Mesa sources, but they're tweaked a bit to use DRI acceleration--and if you overwrite them with separately-compiled Mesa libs, you don't have DRI anymore!

You do have to get one thing out of Mesa sources, though, that isn't in XFree86's GL libraries--the GLUT libraries (libglut.so.*). Or you can try freeglut (check freshmeat.net), though that was in alpha last I knew.

As for the 10FPS loss...that's not going to be because of missing DRI drivers or any of that. That's too small to be anything more than less-than-optimal drivers. If you "modeprobe NVdriver && cat /proc/nv/card0", it should tell you what AGP settings your nVidia driver is using. I've found it best to either go with AGP via the kernel's AGPGART or go no AGP at all. This can be tweaked by modifying the "NvAGP" option in XF86Config--the nVidia README in /usr/doc/NVIDIA*/ should tell you how to do that.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

P.S. v436 of the nVidia drivers? ummm...that's just about older than dirt by now :wink: . I'm on 1512, using XFree86 4.1.0 with kernel 2.4.7.
September 24, 2001 11:14:00 PM

Thanks for the info, I'm at work for the next couple (12 hour nights), but will give it a try on Wed morn.

BTW,
P.S. v436 of the nVidia drivers? ummm...that's just about older than dirt by now . I'm on 1512, using XFree86 4.1.0 with kernel 2.4.7.

V4.36 of UT :o )

-N-

The sum of the intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.
!