unable to do a system restore

July 6, 2005 3:12:17 AM

Win XP w/ SP2 on Compaq Presario 2500 laptop.

Trying to do a system restore. System restore starts, reboots computers
and then on log get message -
A restoration to "System Checkpoint" restore point failed.
No changes were made to the system. See MS help.

this happens for all restore points.

Thanks for suggestions

More about : unable system restore

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 4:56:54 AM

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/p...

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"rpl" <rplNOSPAM@goldengate.net> wrote in message news:eczVnDegFHA.3768@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Win XP w/ SP2 on Compaq Presario 2500 laptop.
>
> Trying to do a system restore. System restore starts, reboots computers
> and then on log get message -
> A restoration to "System Checkpoint" restore point failed.
> No changes were made to the system. See MS help.
>
> this happens for all restore points.
>
> Thanks for suggestions

July 6, 2005 9:21:23 AM

"rpl" <rplNOSPAM@goldengate.net> wrote in message
> Win XP w/ SP2 on Compaq Presario 2500 laptop.
>
> Trying to do a system restore. System restore starts, reboots computers
> and then on log get message -
> A restoration to "System Checkpoint" restore point failed.
> No changes were made to the system. See MS help.
>
> this happens for all restore points.
>
> Thanks for suggestions

You obviously have not made any alterations to your system therefore it
cannot restore
Blair
July 6, 2005 9:21:24 AM

This is total BS. Even using your computer normally results in changes to the system. And System Restore doesn't care if you've made any changes or not. If you select a Restore Point, it should revert the system back to that point in time.

"Blair" <darrach@coille.com> wrote in message news:u5tzEJegFHA.3940@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

> "rpl" <rplNOSPAM@goldengate.net> wrote in message
>> Win XP w/ SP2 on Compaq Presario 2500 laptop.
>>
>> Trying to do a system restore. System restore starts, reboots computers
>> and then on log get message -
>> A restoration to "System Checkpoint" restore point failed.
>> No changes were made to the system. See MS help.
>>
>> this happens for all restore points.
>>
>> Thanks for suggestions
>
> You obviously have not made any alterations to your system therefore it
> cannot restore
> Blair

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 12:03:54 PM

When System Restore Doesn't work you will have to try and repair it. This
means you will lose previously created restore points. Check Bert Kinney
MVPs excellent resource here http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"rpl" <rplNOSPAM@goldengate.net> wrote in message
> Win XP w/ SP2 on Compaq Presario 2500 laptop.
>
> Trying to do a system restore. System restore starts, reboots computers
> and then on log get message -
> A restoration to "System Checkpoint" restore point failed.
> No changes were made to the system. See MS help.
>
> this happens for all restore points.
>
> Thanks for suggestions

July 10, 2005 12:05:32 AM

I have the same problem and I believe it's something to do with having
Norton (Roxio) GoBack installed on the system. Just a shot in the dark. It
sux because doing a GoBack loses all the files since the GB image.
Damo

"rpl" <rplNOSPAM@goldengate.net> wrote in message
> Win XP w/ SP2 on Compaq Presario 2500 laptop.
>
> Trying to do a system restore. System restore starts, reboots computers
> and then on log get message -
> A restoration to "System Checkpoint" restore point failed.
> No changes were made to the system. See MS help.
>
> this happens for all restore points.
>
> Thanks for suggestions

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 12:05:33 AM

Hi Damo,

If GoBack is used to restore files before Windows starts, then yes,
this will cause restore point corruption.

Here's why:
By designed and under normal conditions System Restore will
automatically create a new restore point every 24 hours. When the
allotted disk space is reached, the oldest restore point will be
purged on a first in first out (FIFO) basis. Otherwise, restore points
over 90 days are purged automatically by default. Each one of these
restore points are chained (or linked) together with previous restore
points. When you choose a restore point, all previous restore point
are required to complete the restore. This reduces the amount of disk
space needed to hold restore points and increased performance. While
all of this is going on, in real time, a log is being created or
updated that tracks the consistency between the files System Restore
is monitoring, and the files that are actually backed up. If the log
finds an inconsistency between these files, restore point corruption
will occur. In turn this causes the chain to become broken and any
prior restore points to become useless, thus causing System Restore to
fail at a restore. At this point all restore points would have to be
purged to correct the corruption. So you can see, backing up and
restoring restore points would cause an inconsistency in the restore
log thus causing corruption and the loss of all restore points.

At this point all restore point will need to be purged to correct the
problem. This can be done by disabling and then enabling System
Restore.
How to Disable and Enable System Restore
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/disablesr.html

In the future you may want to try using System Restore first, before
going to GoBack (before Windows starts) knowing that GoBack will cause
restore point corruption.
All About System Restore in WinXP
http://bertk.mvps.org/

Restoring file using GoBack from within Windows should not cause this
corruption.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User