bigbade99

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
My computer is finally up and running but my storage hard drives are not showing up on vista

I've disconnected and reconnecting them and still nothing. They are unformatted, but I cannot see them to format them for storage. Could it be in the bios?

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007

Goto the control panel>performance and maintenance>administrative tools>computer management

Once you open up the computer management console, you should see "disk management" under the storage section.

you should be able to see the unpartitioned space in this module. You can create a partition, assign a drive letter, and format the partitions from here.

bigbade99

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
in attempting to do this i tried to format both at the same time and had a power outtage now my computer wont boot windows. I tried loading my xp. got it loaded on then the computer restarted and I have a disk read error. What should I do??

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
wow, talk about bad luck! a power outtage while formatting? I've seen a few drives be ruined by power outtages.

During the initial windows installation, I would suggest deleting the partitions on the drive, and then repartitioning it, and then doing a regular format (not quick format). See if that helps.

If you're still getting a disk read error after trying that, it's time to take your drive back to where you got it from, cuz it's probably screwed. Hopefully, it should still be under warranty.

Good Luck

TRENDING THREADS