Can anyone recommend a reliable DVD/CD combo lightscribe drive

brewirish

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
I'm partially upgrading my computer and replacing my Lite-On SOHW-1633S DVD/CD combo drive and I'm interested in replacing it with a new lightscribe unit. However, I am gunshy on picking a brand since the Lite-On I bought originally came highly recommended. I've had nothing but trouble with it even after all the updates installed, etc, etc. I can see via the internet that I'm not the only one that does not like the SOHW drive.

So, can anyone recommend a reliable IDE DVD/CD combo drive with the new lightscribe option? I mainly burn data, photos and occasionaly home movies. I'm not looking to buy the top of the line since I don't live in front of my computer I just want something reliable.

Thanks,

brewirish

A7N8X2.0 motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ processor
2 GB RAM
Windows XP Service Pack 2
System built in Dec 2004

1Hz

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
Well after checking your post for the past 2 days without any replies, I decided to make my own post, since right now I'm also asking the same question. Since I'm looking for SATA and you're going for IDE, it's better that way, ;) .

I haven't tried these writers before, but they look pretty good, the Asus DRW-2014L1T and the Samsung SH-S203. I think they have them in IDE too, they're cheap, and pretty fast for most disc formats. Don't take my word for it though as I said, I haven't tried them before and the reviews are somewhat questionable.

The SH-S203 looks pretty popular here and other places though.

My post:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/244721-32-best-sata-writer-lightscribe

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I currently have a Lite-On, LG, and Samsung and like the Samsung best, it's the quietest and have never had a coaster. They also have software that makes firmware updates really easy