Sign in with
Your question

CPU Cooler for Pentium D on a hot country? :P

Last response: in Overclocking
November 2, 2007 1:23:26 PM

:hello:  Guys I am from a country where average room temperatures are at 32C. I have a Pentium D 820 system and it's running very very hot. My idle temp is at 60C and it reaches around 75C on load. It even sometimes reaches 80C.
My current CPU cooler is Asus VR Guard. I also have an 80mm front intake fan and a 120mm rear exhaust fan. As you can tell from my current setup, I don't have lots of money to spend. :( 

Anyway, I have been saving my money for an upgrade. Guys, please help me choose a very good CPU cooler and thermal compound that will work best in my current setup. By the way, are Jetway's Nanodiamond and Nanosilver good? They're very cheap here compared to AS5.

Available CPU coolers here are: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, Coolermaster HyperTX2, Scythe (Mugen, Ninja, Kama Cross), and various Gigabyte/Asus coolers. Guys, all I'm after is that the cooler should fit and totally lower my current temps. I don't care about the looks. :)  Other coolers and thermal compound suggestions are very much welcome. I'll try to look for them here. Thanks in advance! :) 
November 2, 2007 2:00:37 PM

80° ?? try to reseat the heatsink.

Get the thermalright ultra 120 extreme.

Never heard of Jetways nano, but i'm using AS5 or arctic MX-2. I get better results with MX-2.
November 2, 2007 3:29:03 PM

atomant said:
:hello:  Guys I am from a country where average room temperatures are at 32C. I have a Pentium D 820 system and it's running very very hot. My idle temp is at 60C and it reaches around 75C on load. It even sometimes reaches 80C.
My current CPU cooler is Asus VR Guard. I also have an 80mm front intake fan and a 120mm rear exhaust fan. As you can tell from my current setup, I don't have lots of money to spend. :( 

Anyway, I have been saving my money for an upgrade. Guys, please help me choose a very good CPU cooler and thermal compound that will work best in my current setup. By the way, are Jetway's Nanodiamond and Nanosilver good? They're very cheap here compared to AS5.

Available CPU coolers here are: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, Coolermaster HyperTX2, Scythe (Mugen, Ninja, Kama Cross), and various Gigabyte/Asus coolers. Guys, all I'm after is that the cooler should fit and totally lower my current temps. I don't care about the looks. :)  Other coolers and thermal compound suggestions are very much welcome. I'll try to look for them here. Thanks in advance! :) 

Make a rectangle box of 2x4 or whatever, nail or screw 4 post on each corner. Cut a piece of wood plexyglass whatever for the bottom notching the corners of the plywood so that the plywood rest on the rectangle you made.(The bottom will be useful for your psu to rest on).Now cut 2 more 2x2's the length of the case and screw them about 8" up from the bottom of the case, now cut a piece of plywood and set it on the 2x2's the one's you just screwed on,(this will be the piece that you will screw down your parts of your computer. Now sheet the outside of the case wiff whatever you want.
Get a couple of fans like the one's I have or whatever you choose, now the important part. You want to test the fans for vibration the best way is wiff a cup of water. Now get some rubber hoses and screw the fans on a wood mount putten the rubber hoses under the mounts, dont screw the screws in tight at the start, With the fans going screw a little bit and check the water for motion when you are satisfied put all your parts in.
I made a change wiff a shourd the pic I have is old but it show the back fan near the harddrives in the case pic one show the shroud and that fan in the case is now in that shroud.
This will work for you and best of all you made it.
I used wood because I was low budget and this cost me nothing all junk, using it for over 2years now
Related resources
November 2, 2007 3:35:13 PM

slicessoul said:

80° ?? try to reseat the heatsink.

Get the thermalright ultra 120 extreme.

Never heard of Jetways nano, but i'm using AS5 or arctic MX-2. I get better results with MX-2.

Thanks slicessoul for your reply! Actually the screws are quite tight already. I think another reason for its extremely high temperature is the thermal compound i used. i forgot its brand. it's one of those very cheap thermal compounds since no high quality thermal compound was available when i cleaned my cooler. :D 

Okay, I'll try to find a very cheap deal for TR Ultra 120 Extreme. Oh by the way, it's Jetway Jetart. Sorry for that. :)  Here and here are some reviews. Do you think the reviews are believable? I mean in terms of testbeds and procedure? The price difference is very high. I could get 2 to 3 syringes of Jetart CK4800 with one syringe of AS5!

Also, are any of these Asus coolers good? The Silent Square Series and Arctic Square sell at around the same price as the TR U120E here. :sol: 

Any other ideas? :D 

November 2, 2007 3:54:25 PM

gomerpile said:
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/5076/pa250003vn2.jpg
http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/4551/im0009753bahm1.jpg
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/7436/im0009736zz.jpg
Make a rectangle box of 2x4 or whatever, nail or screw 4 post on each corner. Cut a piece of wood plexyglass whatever for the bottom notching the corners of the plywood so that the plywood rest on the rectangle you made.(The bottom will be useful for your psu to rest on).Now cut 2 more 2x2's the length of the case and screw them about 8" up from the bottom of the case, now cut a piece of plywood and set it on the 2x2's the one's you just screwed on,(this will be the piece that you will screw down your parts of your computer. Now sheet the outside of the case wiff whatever you want.
Get a couple of fans like the one's I have or whatever you choose, now the important part. You want to test the fans for vibration the best way is wiff a cup of water. Now get some rubber hoses and screw the fans on a wood mount putten the rubber hoses under the mounts, dont screw the screws in tight at the start, With the fans going screw a little bit and check the water for motion when you are satisfied put all your parts in.
I made a change wiff a shourd the pic I have is old but it show the back fan near the harddrives in the case pic one show the shroud and that fan in the case is now in that shroud.
This will work for you and best of all you made it.
I used wood because I was low budget and this cost me nothing all junk, using it for over 2years now

Hey, your idea rocks! I'm very much intrigued. I actually love the idea. The problem is, I'm not sure I have the mechanical skills to actually do it. I'll first ask my dad and brother if they'll agree to help me. If they won't, I guess I'll settle for the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme for now. Maybe on next vacation, if I still have enough money, I'll try to build a similar case as yours! Hey, I'll keep in touch with you for a more detailed procedure. Thanks! Very much appreciated. :sol: 
November 3, 2007 6:28:57 AM

Also, are any of these Asus coolers good? The Silent Square Series and Arctic Square sell at around the same price as the TR U120E here.
said:

Also, are any of these Asus coolers good? The Silent Square Series and Arctic Square sell at around the same price as the TR U120E here.

If their prices are nearly the same, according this review, TR give better result than Asus Arctic Square, but Asus are more quiet on operation.

For the thermal grease, it look believable, it's your choice though.
November 3, 2007 9:24:13 AM

slicessoul said:
If their prices are nearly the same, according this review, TR give better result than Asus Arctic Square, but Asus are more quiet on operation.

For the thermal grease, it look believable, it's your choice though.

thanks slicessoul! I think i'll just go with the TR since i'm after for the maximum drop in temperature. i've got a very noisy household so a little noise from a cpu cooler wouldn't really matter. :lol:  for the thermal grease, it depends on how much i've got left.

by the way, do i need to buy an expensive fan to go with it or will an ordinary 120mm fan work the same? thanks again! :) 
November 3, 2007 10:49:50 AM

Some review are using Nexus fan or coolink fan. It depends which one you'll find. But i think any good 120mm fan will do such antec or noctua. Give an attention since the fan will be attached into mainboard, you must get it with at least 3 pins fan or 4 pins fans are better.

You're welcome.
!