Sign in with
Your question

Strange CPU problem

Last response: in CPUs
August 25, 2007 11:53:59 PM

A few weeks back my motherboard and psu died, which was the start of the problems. I was not sure what the problem was at the time so i took it into a computer repair shop. They replaced the motherboard and psu.

Here is my question...
Since this time my amd 64x2 is not appearing as it used to. In the windows task manager > performance section it is only showing one box under the cpu usage history section. And when i am running a program the cpu is almost always near 100% usuge, where i the past it was considerably lower split between the cores. Also, i am no longer able to assign processes to a specific core.

Any suggestions?
MOBO: WinFast NF4K8MC Empowered by FOXCONN
CPU: AMD Athon 64x2 3800+

More about : strange cpu problem

August 26, 2007 12:01:54 AM

are you running cpu always intensive programs? Cuz if you are this isn't exactly the most powerful cpu out there. Does only happen when you run programs? Or does it idle with 100% cuz if it does it's a virus called winlogon.exe you'll have to reinstall windows or find anti virus program which i didn't find to fix it. The one box under usage idk wa's going on
August 26, 2007 12:10:19 AM

Not always at 100%
I know its not the best, but the usage has increased considerably b/c it is either only using one core or showing the usage of the two cores combined or something weird... i dont know.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 26, 2007 12:33:16 AM

You say that the motherboard and the PSU were replaced, was the motherboard replaced by exactly the same one? And if not, was Windows re-installed? Another thing to check is the BIOS, maybe dual core support is shut off. Since this behavior started immediately after the hardware change it's really got to be either improperly set up Windows, or BIOS.
August 26, 2007 12:34:55 AM

that's is a easy fix. Just goto the Windows Task Manager. select View/CPU history/and select the One Graph Per CPU. And then your problem will be solved.
August 26, 2007 1:34:33 AM

the bios on your new MB may need to be updated for it to be able to use dual core CPUS.
August 26, 2007 1:57:22 AM

ParadoxMind-

It is already selected.

I believe they did a windows repair but i dont think windows was reinstalled as far as i know. And it was not replaced with the same board > used to be: Motherboard Name: A8AE-LE, HP/Compaq motherboard name: AmberineM-GL6E
How do i check BIOS?
August 26, 2007 2:10:37 AM

Why not take it back to the repair shop and ask them?
August 26, 2007 2:34:30 PM

If it comes to that i will, i am just tired of dealing with them. I also can't afford to lose my computer for a week again.
August 26, 2007 3:48:29 PM

Go to the website and read up on BIOS stuff, it should be really clear. That is what recognizes cores etc. If, after the BIOS update you still have problems, format and re-install windows, and put Avast antivirus on it (free) from now on. Sometimes windows gets buggered if components are switched and aren't the exact same (motherboard).
August 29, 2007 8:53:22 PM

I accessesed the bios section of my motherboard but could not find anything that had to do with setting the cores.
Any other suggestions besides a windows reinstall (and does this requrie me to reformat my hardrive)?
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 29, 2007 9:12:36 PM

itotallybelieveyou said:
are you running cpu always intensive programs? Cuz if you are this isn't exactly the most powerful cpu out there. Does only happen when you run programs? Or does it idle with 100% cuz if it does it's a virus called winlogon.exe you'll have to reinstall windows or find anti virus program which i didn't find to fix it. The one box under usage idk wa's going on

Whilst there is a virus/trojan named winlogon.exe there is also the legitimate winlogon.exe do not confuse the two.
September 9, 2007 4:14:26 PM

Well i completely reformatted my hard drive as well as reinstalled windows. This failed to fix my cpu problem, it is still only showing one core in the windows task manager and appears to be maxing out much faster than it used to ... b/c only one core appears to be active.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 9, 2007 4:21:02 PM

It looks like you may be facing a worst case scenario, I.E your CPU was damaged when the last motherboard and PSU went phut. :( 
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 9, 2007 4:56:31 PM

I believe that on that board you need a BIOS dated 5/19/2005 or later to correctly identify your X2 processor. Check your BIOS revision date, could be you just need to update it.
a c 132 à CPUs
a c 123 V Motherboard
September 9, 2007 5:12:43 PM

bryceray1121 said:
A few weeks back my motherboard and psu died, which was the start of the problems. I was not sure what the problem was at the time so i took it into a computer repair shop. They replaced the motherboard and psu.

Here is my question...
Since this time my amd 64x2 is not appearing as it used to. In the windows task manager > performance section it is only showing one box under the cpu usage history section. And when i am running a program the cpu is almost always near 100% usuge, where i the past it was considerably lower split between the cores. Also, i am no longer able to assign processes to a specific core.

Any suggestions?
MOBO: WinFast NF4K8MC Empowered by FOXCONN
CPU: AMD Athon 64x2 3800+

Did nforce boards not need a bios update for dual core. and from the looks of things i can not even find that board on either leadtek's or foxconn's site. Looks like they gave you a board that just will not run dual core(so you have 1 full cpu disabled). I could be wrong but I can find NO reference to anyone running that board with ANY x2 cpu in it. Go back to where you got it fixed and tell them you want a board that supports dual or a bios to make it work....

Just some things to look at...what does the bios call the cpu...what does windows call it? check CPU-Z as well

If you have the time and a spare drive you can try to re-install, but it looks like a board issue to me
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 9, 2007 5:29:28 PM

Under Device Manager, expand Computer. It should say ACPI Multiprocessor, if it says ACPI Uniprocessor, your X2 isn't being identified by Windows (during installation) properly. I have heard of this issue and that the correct HAL.DLL can be installed post install. I don't have the details on this though, you may need to Gizoogle that shiznit. You also said that you couldn't find anything in your BIOS pertaining to Dual Core enabling. I can't speak for HP, but normally this is put in the BIOS so that it can be turned off for compatibility issues.

You said you did a Windows install, not a repair or installed over top of the old install, you did a full format and install. By doing a complete re-install, you will remove any remnants of whatever the computer shop did.
September 9, 2007 5:52:53 PM

Wow, I can't believe they'd give you an HP motherboard. Forgive me if I sound a but hysterical, but I'd bet $$$ you didn't pay for a new motherboard. Are you aware of this fact? HP motherboards are for HP computers. As far as I know they don't sell HP motherboards for do it yourselfers.

After reading all the comments I see 3 possibilities:

1. The motherboard doesn't support dual core and you either are stuck with a single core processor or you will need a BIOS update.
2. The CPU was damaged also and you won't be able to run dual core. I find this less likely because I've never seen 1 CPU be damaged but the other happens to be perfectly fine and is able to continue to function.
3. You are being scammed by the repair store, they gave you an old CPU and/or motherboard and are laughing at the fact you are sucked into this. I consider this more likely because you said you can't deal with them anymore. Any store that's reputable should be helping you out in any way possible. The IT industry is very competitive, and the customer service they provide is often the only difference. Any computer store can change a motherboard, but do they all answer all of your questions fully and with a smile? I'd take the machine back to them, tell them what the deal is, and tell them you want to watch them fix it. Ask to see your CPU in your computer. I wouldn't be surprised if you don't have the X2 you think you have.

Something is just not right about this setup. Somewhere someone did wrong. It could have been someone overlooked a BIOS update, but someone is wrong.
a c 132 à CPUs
a c 123 V Motherboard
September 9, 2007 10:09:43 PM

it was an HP the new board is a NF4K8MC unless i misread something.
Also all hp boards are Asus anyway....just without all the good features enabled in the hp(minimal bios)
!