I'm trying to use Remote Desktop Connection for first time but it's not working.
I have been troubleshooting for 2days but still I haven't resolved yet.
I'm trying to connect from PC#1 to PC#2 (they are within local network), and XP Pro is installed on both PC.
Here are what I have done:
1. I have router which has set its port forwarding for port 3389 with PC2 IP address.
2. I have disabled temporary the windows firewall/virus scann.
3. I can however use Remote Desktop Connection from PC2 to PC1.
4. When I try to use Remote Desktop from PC1 to PC2, (When I type PC2's IP address and press Enter), nothing happens. the login screen on PC1 just flashes for 0.1 sec but no error or anything. Also I notice on PC2, LAN port LED & Corsair memory on motherboard flashes, so I'm guessing this is not a problem with my router setting.
5. On PC2, I did "netstat -a" on console, it shows port 3389 as listening.
6. The user name has password protected.
7. Updated to XP SP3, no changes at all.
You shouldn't need the port forwarding on the router so remove it.
Have you checked the "allow remote computers to connect to this computer" selection under remote desktop tab in the system properties box?
Recheck your firewall settings as SP3 can mess things up.
I had tried everything I could think of, but still it didnt work so, I freshly re-installed OS again...It's now workign fine lol. I think I had some kind of virus or corrupted system.. very weird.
It's all solved now