My cpu usage is to low

kovar

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
When i installing a game or zipping or do them both my cpu usage is only 25%-35%.
I have E6750 cpu, is it possible that it doesn't use its power becuase it get to hot?

cyberjock

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004
Strangestranger has it right. If there was such a thing as a 10Ghz Octo-core chip, it probably wouldn't zip everything at super fast speeds. Your limited to whichever components are being used. For installations and zipping your HD is used and is certainly the slowest component. It doesn't mean you should run out and buy the fastest hard drive you can, because you might only squeeze 2% more CPU out of it. 25-35 is just fine for zipping and such.

double_helix

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
Has nothing to do with "doesn't use its power becuase it get to(o) hot". strangestranger has it right: "A computer is only as fast as it's slowest component". Which happens to be usually the harddrives.

One thing you might consider doing, if your data IS NOT critical, is doing a RAID 0 setup to increase performace. Or maybe investing in a Raptor. If you do go w/ RAID 0 setup I suggest getting into the habit of backing up any data on a regular interval.