[opendtv] Re: How About Portable ATSC Receivers?]

Last response: in Home Theatre
April 1, 2005 2:54:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>For your info, those super receivers that were supposed to have been available by last quarter never materialized in production form. Bob Miller is trying hard to figure out why.
>
>Bert

I found out why. One of a number of confirmations but this one in the form of an email.

Bob Miller

Dear Bob Miller,

The price of the 5th generation VSB chip is almost same as that of the 4th generation. Furthermore VSB portion is a little of a material
cost of STB. Major portion come from HD decoder/CPU chip and can-type tuner.

The STB business division of LGE launched a few STB models in the USA market but they retreated from the STB busniess due to little profit.

I will do my every best to help XXXXXXXXX or any manufacturers providing STB to you using our 5th generation VSB chip enhancing the reception
performance of their STB.

Best regards.

XXXX XXXX XXXX
DTV Laboratory LGE,
tel : XX-X-XXXX-XXXX
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 12:46:21 PM

Bob Miller wrote:

> Dear Bob Miller,
>
> The price of the 5th generation VSB chip is almost same as that of the
> 4th generation. Furthermore VSB portion is a little of a material
> cost of STB. Major portion come from HD decoder/CPU chip and can-type
> tuner.

We have been telling bob this for years. I wonder if he believes it now
that LG has told him so.

--
Matthew

Which one do you want?