Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia G92 is GeForce 8700 GTS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 6, 2007 3:57:38 PM

VR-Zone has learned more about the upcoming Nvidia G92 where the official marketing name is most likely to be GeForce 8700 GTS. As revealed earlier, G92 is 65nm based and has 256-bit memory bus width. The reference 8700 GTS card has 8-layer PCB and comes with 512MB GDDR3 1ns memories so the memory clock of G92 is estimated to be between 900Mhz to 1GHz. Core clock is unknown yet.

http://www.vr-zone.com/articles/Nvidia_G92_is_GeForce_8...

Just my observation of what the 8700gts will be.

This card will be kind of like 8600gts but with 256bit memory bus.

Same 8 rop or 12 and same 16 tmu like the 8600gts to keep the cost down. Texturing fillrate will be very similar to 8800gts with higher clock speed with 65nm part. But the ROP would be limited of course at uber high resolutions.

I think this card will be not much slower than 8800gts at stock in medium resolutions. Looks very promising for a midrange card. :) 

Of course the real question is this card going to have more than 32 unified shaders? Hoping for 64 at least... :) 
September 6, 2007 4:13:38 PM

Mmmm...this may be the card that I've been hungering for...Finally, nVidia contemplates the middle crowd. Maybe.
September 6, 2007 4:19:45 PM

more crab from the big N
Related resources
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 6, 2007 4:39:01 PM

If it is going too be an 8700 then I was right, woohoo [:mousemonkey:3]
September 6, 2007 5:14:27 PM

No 9800GTX? So basically the 8800GTX will remain unbeaten for more than one year. That's sad. Well, not for those who bought a 8800GTX back in November 2006 though.
September 6, 2007 5:28:33 PM

Dr_asik said:
No 9800GTX? So basically the 8800GTX will remain unbeaten for more than one year. That's sad. Well, not for those who bought a 8800GTX back in November 2006 though.

Well, unless AMD comes up with something faster.

Eh, yes, actually that means you´re right.

September 6, 2007 5:42:36 PM

Quote:
Well, unless AMD comes up with something faster.

Eh, yes, actually that means you´re right.
:cry: 
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 6, 2007 5:50:55 PM

Sorry I could not resist :ange:  , it's just that people keep referring to the new releases as the 9800 which would infer a new series but if it's refresh or addition then they will be GF8 series and as there are still some 'holes' in the range and I have referred to them as 8700 and 8900 before, I shall continue to do so until Nvidia say otherwise.
September 6, 2007 5:54:45 PM

Basically what the 8600 should have been in the first place. The 7600 in the 7 series was a totally kick butt card for it's segment. When the 8600 came out we were expecting a totally kick butt card, although not the 8800 level obviously, but we were hoping for a great midrange and were totally disappointed. I'm happy to see that Nvidia hasn't left the average joe in the dirt.
September 6, 2007 6:09:04 PM

T8RR8R said:
Basically what the 8600 should have been in the first place. The 7600 in the 7 series was a totally kick butt card for it's segment. When the 8600 came out we were expecting a totally kick butt card, although not the 8800 level obviously, but we were hoping for a great midrange and were totally disappointed. I'm happy to see that Nvidia hasn't left the average joe in the dirt.

I still think the 8600 is one of those cards that should have never been made. Let it sneak out the back door unseen.
The 8300/8400 is good enough as long as it's faster than any integrated graphics.
September 6, 2007 6:17:00 PM

Just because the sentence is long doesn't mean it isn't correct English.

Spoiler
"Their honour precarious, their liberty provisional, lasting only until the discovery of their crime; their position unstable, like that of the poet who one day was feasted at every table, applauded in every theatre in London, and on the next was driven from every lodging, unable to find a pillow upon which to lay his head, turning the mill like Samson and saying like him: "The two sexes shall die, each in a place apart!"; excluded even, save on the days of general disaster when the majority rally round the victim as the Jews rallied round Dreyfus, from the sympathy--at times from the society--of their fellows, in whom they inspire only disgust at seeing themselves as they are, portrayed in a mirror which, ceasing to flatter them, accentuates every blemish that they have refused to observe in themselves, and makes them understand that what they have been calling their love (a thing to which, playing upon the word, they have by association annexed all that poetry, painting, music, chivalry, asceticism have contrived to add to love) springs not from an ideal of beauty which they have chosen but from an incurable malady; like the Jews again (save some who will associate only with others of their race and have always on their lips ritual words and consecrated pleasantries), shunning one another, seeking out those who are most directly their opposite, who do not desire their company, pardoning their rebuffs, moved to ecstasy by their condescension; but also brought into the company of their own kind by the ostracism that strikes them, the opprobrium under which they have fallen, having finally been invested, by a persecution similar to that of Israel, with the physical and moral characteristics of a race, sometimes beautiful, often hideous, finding (in spite of all the mockery with which he who, more closely blended with, better assimilated to the opposing race, is relatively, in appearance, the least inverted, heaps upon him who has remained more so) a relief in frequenting the society of their kind, and even some corroboration of their own life, so much so that, while steadfastly denying that they are a race (the name of which is the vilest of insults), those who succeed in concealing the fact that they belong to it they readily unmask, with a view less to injuring them, though they have no scruple about that, than to excusing themselves; and, going in search (as a doctor seeks cases of appendicitis) of cases of inversion in history, taking pleasure in recalling that Socrates was one of themselves, as the Israelites claim that Jesus was one of them, without reflecting that there were no abnormals when homosexuality was the norm, no anti-Christians before Christ, that the disgrace alone makes the crime because it has allowed to survive only those who remained obdurate to every warning, to every example, to every punishment, by virtue of an innate disposition so peculiar that it is more repugnant to other men (even though it may be accompanied by exalted moral qualities) than certain other vices which exclude those qualities, such as theft, cruelty, breach of faith, vices better understood and so more readily excused by the generality of men; forming a freemasonry far more extensive, more powerful and less suspected than that of the Lodges, for it rests upon an identity of tastes, needs, habits, dangers, apprenticeship, knowledge, traffic, glossary, and one in which the members themselves, who intend not to know one another, recognise one another immediately by natural or conventional, involuntary or deliberate signs which indicate one of his congeners to the beggar in the street, in the great nobleman whose carriage door he is shutting, to the father in the suitor for his daughter's hand, to him who has sought healing, absolution, defence, in the doctor, the priest, the barrister to whom he has had recourse; all of them obliged to protect their own secret but having their part in a secret shared with the others, which the rest of humanity does not suspect and which means that to them the most wildly improbable tales of adventure seem true, for in this romantic, anachronistic life the ambassador is a bosom friend of the felon, the prince, with a certain independence of action with which his aristocratic breeding has furnished him, and which the trembling little cit would lack, on leaving the duchess's party goes off to confer in private with the hooligan; a reprobate part of the human whole, but an important part, suspected where it does not exist, flaunting itself, insolent and unpunished, where its existence is never guessed; numbering its adherents everywhere, among the people, in the army, in the church, in the prison, on the throne; living, in short, at least to a great extent, in a playful and perilous intimacy with the men of the other race, provoking them, playing with them by speaking of its vice as of something alien to it; a game that is rendered easy by the blindness or duplicity of the others, a game that may be kept up for years until the day of the scandal, on which these lion-tamers are devoured; until then, obliged to make a secret of their lives, to turn away their eyes from the things on which they would naturally fasten them, to fasten them upon those from which they would naturally turn away, to change the gender of many of the words in their vocabulary, a social constraint, slight in comparison with the inward constraint which their vice, or what is improperly so called, imposes upon them with regard not so much now to others as to themselves, and in such a way that to themselves it does not appear a vice."

http://ask.metafilter.com/35008/What-is-Prousts-longest...
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 6, 2007 6:17:36 PM

Quote:
Thats gotta be the longest run-on sentence Ive ever seen. Great you predicted the model number of the card before anyone else, probably even nvidia. Too bad you cant write correct English.....thats what happens when you drop outta school and play video games all day. :hello: 

And you would know this from first hand experience, considering the lack of apostrophe in that's, and the use of gotta and outta, two words that are not in any dictionary I have. :kaola: 
September 6, 2007 6:30:36 PM

on a side note ATI is supposed to come out with something end of this month called 2900pro which would be competing with 8700gts.
a c 169 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
a b } Memory
September 6, 2007 6:37:20 PM

in notebookreview , i heard than 8700GTS ULTRA is coming for notebooks , so it may come for desktop too , by the way , nice find marvelous2 11
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 6, 2007 6:39:19 PM

marvelous211 said:
on a side note ATI is supposed to come out with something end of this month called 2900pro which would be competing with 8700gts.

Let battle commence.
September 6, 2007 6:39:38 PM

enewmen said:
I still think the 8600 is one of those cards that should have never been made. Let it sneak out the back door unseen.
The 8300/8400 is good enough as long as it's faster than any integrated graphics.

Sure people were disappointed with 8600gts. What they wanted was something in the lines 1950xt performance but it fills the gap for mainstream. It's also getting better as time goes by with it's superior texturing and shader power compared to last generation mid-high-range card like 7900gs and 1950pro.
September 6, 2007 6:41:08 PM

why the hell did I fall for the 8600's!!??!?!?! *pulls hair out at own idiocy*
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 6, 2007 6:48:37 PM

spuddyt said:
why the hell did I fall for the 8600's!!??!?!?! *pulls hair out at own idiocy*

There, there, I'm sure it seemed like a perfectly reasonable idea at the time.
September 6, 2007 6:48:38 PM

Mousemonkey said:
And you would know this from first hand experience, considering the lack of apostrophe in that's, and the use of gotta and outta, two words that are not in any dictionary I have. :kaola: 

:lol:  you beat me to it! you were being nice and not pointing out all the faults but the lack of grammar goes much deeper, the OP forgot the apostrophe in I've and can't among other faults...

nothing makes my day better than showing MrsBytch up...what an asshat
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 6, 2007 7:03:27 PM

jrnyfan said:
:lol:  you beat me to it! you were being nice and not pointing out all the faults but the lack of grammar goes much deeper, the OP forgot the apostrophe in I've and can't among other faults...

nothing makes my day better than showing MrsBytch up...what an asshat

I try to show restraint whenever possible. :whistle: 
September 6, 2007 7:34:32 PM

Mousemonkey said:
There, there, I'm sure it seemed like a perfectly reasonable idea at the time.

the really gutting thing was that a friend WARNED me how crap they were, and I didn't listen! :fou: 
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 6, 2007 7:46:34 PM

spuddyt wrote:
Quote:
the really gutting thing was that a friend WARNED me how crap they were, and I didn't listen! :fou: 

Well your mission now, should you decide to accept it, is to find a mug person who will buy that piece of crap exceptional DX10 capable hardware. And then you can invest your ill-gotten gains in a (hopefully) worthy card. [:mousemonkey]
September 6, 2007 7:53:23 PM

So, can this card be used in a pci-e slot, or will it require pci-e 2 like other forums have suggested. I'd really like to get my hands on one of these, but if I have to upgrade my mobo... forget about it.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 6, 2007 7:59:08 PM

sepayne21 said:
So, can this card be used in a pci-e slot, or will it require pci-e 2 like other forums have suggested. I'd really like to get my hands on one of these, but if I have to upgrade my mobo... forget about it.

It should be backwards compatible with PCI-e 1.0, but only time or an announcement from Nvidia will tell.
September 6, 2007 8:10:53 PM

Mousemonkey said:
spuddyt wrote:
Quote:

Well your mission now, should you decide to accept it, is to find a mug person who will buy that piece of crap exceptional DX10 capable hardware. And then you can invest your ill-gotten gains in a (hopefully) worthy card. [:mousemonkey]

He can always sell it on ebay. I see these going for $130 before shipping charges.
September 6, 2007 8:12:40 PM

Quote:
Well your mission now, should you decide to accept it, is to find a mug person who will buy that piece of crap exceptional DX10 capable hardware. And then you can invest your ill-gotten gains in a (hopefully) worthy card.

They do exist! A friend of mine is looking for a card like that for his home pc... hes not a gamer, he does video encoding (his son's machine is for when he wants to play games....)... I advised him to get a passive cooled one though... sorry, otherwise I coulda put you in touch.
September 6, 2007 8:13:12 PM

Quote:
Well your mission now, should you decide to accept it, is to find a mug person who will buy that piece of crap exceptional DX10 capable hardware. And then you can invest your ill-gotten gains in a (hopefully) worthy card.

They do exist! A friend of mine is looking for a card like that for his home pc... hes not a gamer, he does video encoding (his son's machine is for when he wants to play games....)... I advised him to get a passive cooled one though... sorry, otherwise I coulda put you in touch.
September 6, 2007 8:47:19 PM

Well, I for one am looking forward to the 2900Pro and 8700GTS. My x1950Pro is starting to look a but long in the face (don't know if I used that expression correctly, but basically, it isn't cutting it.)
September 6, 2007 8:52:45 PM

it should be interesting to see the price point and how well these cards do in SLI/Crossfire setups. I know alot of times I can't afford 2 cards right away but if I can get one card that is quite capable and then pick up a second card 4-8months later I'll be able to put them in a 2 card configuration and actually save money over their faster counterparts.
September 6, 2007 8:55:43 PM

Sli or crossfire doesn't work for all games and sometimes doesn't scale accordingly. I avoid it like the plague. I sell and buy another.
September 6, 2007 8:59:16 PM

marvelous211 said:
Sli or crossfire doesn't work for all games and sometimes doesn't scale accordingly. I avoid it like the plague. I sell and buy another.

I agree with you on that. However it's nice to buy a high end card and then later on get another one for nearly half the price and nearly twice the perfomance......when it works that is. For people on a budget something like the 8700 would totally make sense though.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 6, 2007 8:59:37 PM

TSIMonster said:
Well, I for one am looking forward to the 2900Pro and 8700GTS. My x1950Pro is starting to look a but bit long in the face tooth (don't know if I used that expression correctly, but basically, it isn't cutting it.)

Corrected :lol:  . Patience my friend, they could turn out to be dog egg's, I really hope not, but look at the 8500/8600.
September 6, 2007 9:14:10 PM

look at bioshock for instance. 2 8800gtx will only net you 10 more fps over 1. :( 
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 6, 2007 9:19:20 PM

marvelous211 said:
look at bioshock for instance. 2 8800gtx will only net you 10 more fps over 1. :( 

But what does 2x 8800gtx do for the minimum frame rates?
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 6, 2007 10:08:43 PM

marvelous211 said:
I don't know. Some benchmark says it scales but look at this one...

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/bioshock_directx10_perf...

All that shows me is that @1600x1200x32 the 7900GS needs to be Sli'd and the Radeon X1950 Pro needs to be CF'd which they didn't do, and that the GF8's top end cards can run Bioshaft at a higher res than my monitor can handle :(  , but then as I do not (can't) game at that res it's a moot point. :lol: 
September 6, 2007 10:22:19 PM

We can only see 11 fps from a single GTX to sli. It might be moot for you but looks like ut3 engine doesn't scale too well with SLI.

8800gts is the same.
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 6, 2007 11:03:56 PM

marvelous211 said:
Sli or crossfire doesn't work for all games and sometimes doesn't scale accordingly.

As you've said yourself it doesn't work for all games but there is still an increase albeit a small one, and whilst the engine may be the same I'm sure that there are other coding differences between Bioshite and UT3, but either way it's only one game and in my collection of 200+ I have found that there are many that benefit from Sli at a resolution of 1280x1024.
September 6, 2007 11:09:07 PM

Focus on minimum to average frame rates to judge a GPU, not just the highest/peak/max FPS. Also consider how AA kills the 2900XT where as it doesn't make "that much" diff for a GTX.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 6, 2007 11:27:03 PM

Mousemonkey said:
It should be backwards compatible with PCI-e 1.0, but only time or an announcement from Nvidia will tell.

Probably WON'T be backwards compatible with PCIe 1.0 based on the early statements, but since most people's motherboards are PCIe1.1 it should be fine for the majority. It's usually the 4X PCIe1.0 PEG slots that are in question, and that would only be an issue for SLi, multi-monitor or Workstation considerations. Like it'll work fine on the majority of people's 1.1 PEG slots.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
September 6, 2007 11:31:50 PM

Mousemonkey said:
But what does 2x 8800gtx do for the minimum frame rates?

Yeah, exactly.

As much as I'm anti - Xfire/SLi , one of it's most important benefits is making the big drops in min fps dissapear or be greatly reduced. Because +10 fps on an average may mean nothing but moving from 9 fps to 19 fps as a min. is alot for anyone looking at fluidity. Just look at the GTS SLi results to see the noticeable boost in min fps.

And usually if the avg went up by 10fps, usually the min fps had an even bigger jump (if the drop isn't caused by system crap like loads, etc).
September 6, 2007 11:37:55 PM

Any idea if it's power consumption will be less than an 8800? I've been holding off upgrading my 8600gt. What I was hoping for would be a single-slot, 256bit bus DX10 that would be able to run on an upgraded psu @ 26amps.
a c 169 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
a b } Memory
September 7, 2007 8:10:59 AM

guys i hope 8700gts wont be like the one which is for notebooks because for notebooks a GO 8700GTS is a GO 8600GT OC'd
September 7, 2007 9:44:57 AM

kpo6969 said:
Any idea if it's power consumption will be less than an 8800? I've been holding off upgrading my 8600gt. What I was hoping for would be a single-slot, 256bit bus DX10 that would be able to run on an upgraded psu @ 26amps.

Switching to a smaller process almost always entails a reduction of power consumption and heat. It's too early to tell, but 26A should be more than enough.
September 7, 2007 10:06:44 AM

Shrinking the die of any series of GPU is going to give you cooler, higher clocked GPU's. For the life of me I can't understand why Nvidia would come out with the 8700GTS when we already have mid-end 8800GTS 320/640, low end 8600, and high-end 8800GTX.
September 7, 2007 10:29:11 AM

8800 320/640 is med to high end... 8600 does not do a good enough job mid range.

Massive gap in mid range. MR is where the majority of the money is.
September 7, 2007 11:51:39 AM

systemlord said:
Shrinking the die of any series of GPU is going to give you cooler, higher clocked GPU's. For the life of me I can't understand why Nvidia would come out with the 8700GTS when we already have mid-end 8800GTS 320/640, low end 8600, and high-end 8800GTX.

Personally I think 8800gts is high end. 8800gtx ultra are uber high end. 8700gts fits right in the upper mid-range. 8700gts is not going to be all that much slower once 256bit memory controllers are installed on these. I'm just estimating here of course.

A 8600gts has texture fillrate of 10800 MTexels/sec but it's holding back by memory bandwidth. Once 3dmark was tested the peak texture fillrate comes out to 7600 Mtexels/sec (not much better than 1950pro). Obvious memory bandwidth starved here. By shrinking the die this would be clocked higher and in lines with 8800gts far as what it can do with textures fillrate...

8800gts is not much better than 8600gts far as texture fillrate is. 8800gts has texture fillrate of 12000 Mtexels/sec. Do you see the picture?

Once the 256bit memory bandwidth is saturated it will be very close to 8800gts far as performance goes. I think how many more unified shaders is important and you need more than 32 if you are going to run it in higher resolutions with full effects in current crop of games and some future games to come. Once the game has enough shader power it seems most games are held back by texture fillrate and memory bandwidth. How many ROP it has determines how well it's going to do in higher resolutions. 8700gts is going to cure most of the problems what 8600gts was lacking with faster shader clocks probably more shaders as well as memory bandwidth.

Even with only 64shaders though I think it's enough to compete with 8800gts in resolutions like 1600x1200 since shader clocks get faster along with clock speed.

FYI
A 8800gts has shader clocks of 1200mhz. A 8600gts is 1450mhz. With higher clock speed resulting from reduced die, this new 8700gts will run faster than 1450mhz which would compensate the difference in shading power.
September 7, 2007 12:40:16 PM

marvelous211 said:

I´d like to see that, but since AMD gobbled up ATI they got the magic delay "D" too. I wish they would release it on time but given the company history i seriously doubt it.
September 7, 2007 12:45:21 PM

Slobogob said:
I´d like to see that, but since AMD gobbled up ATI they got the magic delay "D" too. I wish they would release it on time but given the company history i seriously doubt it.

It supposed to be end of this month supposedly but they'll fire back any chance they can get. The really need to release this first before Nvidia releases 8700gts so they can have some fire back. This supposedly will be fast as 2900xt too. So we'll see.

ATI really needs fix their Vista drivers first though. I think that's their biggest problem right now. I can understand though after releasing the card only for few months and you have write drivers for Vista along with new API.
September 7, 2007 1:11:08 PM

marvelous211 said:
It supposed to be end of this month supposedly but they'll fire back any chance they can get. The really need to release this first before Nvidia releases 8700gts so they can have some fire back. This supposedly will be fast as 2900xt too. So we'll see.

It's history repeating. AMD/ATI always try to be early and then delay a few times until everyone else is faster or until sales relevant time frames are missed (like chrismas). I really hope they get it right this time - but, sadly, i said that the last time too. While i prefer AMD card over Nvidias offerings by a long shot (technologically speaking), it is almost guaranteed that Nvidia will launch at their given date or very close to it. And that is AMD/ATIs greatest downfall, at least for me: their lack of reliability.

The performance gap between the 2600/8600 series and the 8800/2900 series is quite big and right now its filled with older technology like 7900/1950 cards. A 8700GTS would, if priced right, take that spot. And taking a closer look, the 1950xt/pro is whats living in that performance segment. If Nvidia moves in there AMD will lose that market until they release their pro card. I doubt that it's a big market but giving it up just because they can't keep their launch dates in order seems like severe mismanagement to me. And right now that's what i think will happen.

The drivers are another story altogether. Both Nvidia and ATI/AMD messed up their vista drivers. I used to blame ATI for that but some articles i've read convinced me that MS is guilty of it since they changed their DX to appease NVs inability to comply.
!