Sign in with
Your question

Comcast and D-Link issues

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 11, 2009 12:25:01 AM

I have a D-Link TBR-1310. I just got Comcast, and they gave me a Arris TM502G telephony modem. I cannot the d-Link to work. I just get a constant 'Acquiring Network Address."' I have turned off firewalls, changed static and dynamic, rebooted, and have looked at lots of settings.
My dad has the a similar Arris modem, and I bought him the cheapest wireless router at WalMart; I think it was a LinkSys. I hooked up his wireless and it worked like a champ within five minutes. We hooked it up last month and he has had zero problems with it. What gives? He isn't signed up for the Comcast 'home networking.' I don't want to have to pay Comcast extra so I can get a wireless network. Is my router crap? When I am plugged into the Arris modem, no problems. Wireless is just doesn't like it. Perhaps it's because I have a telephone modem?
Any help at all.....

More about : comcast link issues

January 11, 2009 7:30:58 AM

Think of my reply as a tip than a solution.

When you see 'Acquiring ... address', it usually means DHCP client is enabled on the router. DHCP client is used on cable modem based broadband whereas DSL broadband usually uses PPPoE. Try the following, OR betw. them:

1) Somewhere on D-Link TBR-1310, change the link type/protocol to PPPoE, shutdown and reboot Arris, wait a bit, shutdown and reboot your D-Link.

2) Call Comcast and ask them how to put Arris in "bridged mode". They are the only one who knows how to configure it. Then try both DHCP client scenario and PPPoE scenario.

3) It is better to spend $$ and buy compatible one than marrying to Google coz you'll be doing what I just said if none of these work out.
!