Recovering files after new install.

coreyzat

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
Hi there, thanks in advance for any help! I'm a bit of a computer newb, so bear with me...

I recently upgraded my computer, but kept the same HDDs. I have 2 Samsung SATA 80GB drives in RAID 0. I upgraded from XP Pro to 64bit XP Pro when I upgraded my CPU to an AMD 4400+ 2.3 GHz. The MoBo is Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4.

Orginally the HDD's were in 4 partitions....10MB for Windows, and 3 other partitions for files and games. When I went to reinstall Windows XP (used F6 to install Raid drivers) it only fount the C : 10GB partition. THe rest was listed as unpartitioned HDD space.

I installed Windows and that part went ok, but now Windows doesn't see anything but the 10GB C: drive. Partition Magic 7.0 finds the rest of the HDDs as "unallocated" and "extended".

The demo version of Stellar Phoenix 3.0 finds 6 Logical drives in addition to the C: drive (There were only 3 before) and my files are in there somewhere when I explore all those random folders, so I know the data is in there.

My guess is that the FAT's are corrupted or something. My question is whether there's a way to recover the information without spending the $99 on the full version of Stellar Phoenix. Could I do something in Partition Magic? The kicker is that I have some important files which cannot be erased (stupid to not backup I know) like my honeymoon photos.

coreyzat

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
Yeah, I'm definitely going to backup my important files from now on. I'll probably burn them on a DVD instead of getting another HDD.

Is the Stellar Phoenix the only way? I only ask because money currently is pretty tight...my 1st child is due next week and $100 is a lot of diapers.