7600 GT and Vista Ultimate (too high resolution)

Revenge

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
hello good day
i am having a problem with one of your video cards.
i am using an XFX Geforce 7600 GT 256mb 128bit DDR3 (dual Dvi ports), and installing windows vista ultimate.

the issue is with the resolution. during the installation windows assigns a default driver and a resolution my monitor does not support.
View Sonic 19' LCD Q9 Optiquest. so i cant see to complete the installation.

i used a second card and was able to complete windows installation, now putting in my original card back, and reboot does the same thing, default driver and resolution prob.

went into safe mode, removed driver and card, was able to boot normal after restart, installed lastest nvidia drivers "162.22_forceware_winvista_32bit_english_whql" and reboot same thing too high resolution.

is there any way to set the resolution to 1280x1024 (the max my monitor supports) after i install drivers and before i restart.

or a way to disable windows from assigning a driver for this card during windows installation or a way to set a resolution during the driver installation process, so when it restarts it will use that settings, rather than a predetermined resolution the card supports. becuz the card has higher resolution than my monitor supports.

or even better, a way to set the resolution you want during the vista installation.

Revenge

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
add a bit more ??? to the topic, if i use the 64bit version of vista ultimate i dont get this problem, the card picks up as an unknown device and when i install 64bit nvidia drivers it works fine.

but using the 32bit os, windows assigns their defualt driver and a resolution my monitor doesnt support, safe mode remove , install 32bit drivers, same issue.

uwisuwerme7

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
It's probably trying to set the resolution too high. Can you set the resolution in safe mode then reboot into normal mode of Vista? I have a 7600GT and Vista ULT and have no issues. Another thing you could do it borrow a buddies monitor for a few minutes, set the resolution, then switch the monitor back.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
If you already have Vista 64 why would you even want to use Vista 32...? that's just for vintage support by M$ (Pentium 4s and Athlon XP machines).

Don't anyone dare to use the incompatibility excuse because I use XP 64 and Vista 64 and I have yet to find an issue on any of my current software. (Except for running my old Commander Keen games from the 90s)