NEED URGENT ASSISTANCE!!!!

phantom93

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I began having this problem after my PSU blew out. My 580watt PSU died 2 weeks ago so the onluy one i had was a 250watt. so i put that in adn i knew it wasnt enough power and my comp would crash every like2hrs adn i just blamed it on that, but then i bought a new PSU (500watt) and I STILL had the problem. And I knew my comp did not use 500watts. more like 360-400. My comp would go into what looked like standby, the power light would be on but the fans and everything was off. And everyday the problem got more and more frequent like b4 it was jyst whn playign games. No its every 5 min and im doing this foum in safemode! I think when the 580 blew out it damaged a part in my comp (yes a no-brainer) but which part? If its my mobo or CPU im lucky cause i was buying a new mobo adn cpu this week. But could it be my HDD? Im pretty sure but i wanted your guys opinions.

BTW: I opened my burned out PSU 3days ago and the capaciters in it were ruptured. SO obviously it blew out and probably sent a power surge thru out my comp. But to which part?

mrmez

Splendid
250W.... stupid.

As u said it could be anything really.
U say ur running safe mode? Does it crash when in safe mode too?
If not u may have corrupted some files on ur hdd. Could be as simple as a reinstall or format.
Id try that first.

If not, well mobo damage is the most likely as pwr goes there first. After that could be hhd, tho they are GENERALLY a little tougher, then ram, cpu, cards.

Good luck.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
It's real simple. Replace your mobo & CPU as you were going to, and use the existing drive with a new install of the OS. If it takes a dump get a new HD. [:zorg]

phantom93

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
i was originalty after i put in the new mobo and cpu i was gona reformat and install windows again, ill notify this forum afterwards. adn no it doesnt crash in safemode.

whats is the pc in question. one would be surprised what a 250 can run :)

powerzt6.gif

2 Systems, router(~10 watts), switch(~10 watts), modem(~10 watts), speakers(~15 watts at current volume, gets out of hand when its cranked), screen(30 watts)

folding running 3dmarks 2005
CPU Q6600 @ 3.0
P35 DS3R Board
2x 1gig sticks of ram @ 1.8 volts(every bit counts no more 2 volts for me, gonna get 2 more sticks of that ram)
6 Hard drives (2x 250, 2x 320, 2x 500)
1 ODD
SB Audigy 2zs
WinTV PVR
Geforce 8800GTX(factory OC 600core 1400shaders 900[1.8ghz effective] ram)
Antec 900 with full set of fans (4 x 120mm low and 1 x 200mm low + cpu cooler 92mm fan 2200rpms)

Folding
XP 1800+
K7S5A 3.XX
512MB ram
120gig HDD
Geforce 4 ti4200(have to remove it as there is no use on a web/music machine, back to the TNT2 or maybe VirgeDX:) )
2 ODD's
P133 Case with 2 80mm(under volted) fans and 70mm(under volted TMD fan) CPU cooler

As you can 2 systems router,modem,switch, and forgot to mention my phone base.

@ op - it looks like your old PSU took out the board with it. Try to reset the bios and make sure you are not running any overclocking. see if maybe your in luck.

Be aware that anything(cpu ram) can go when a psu goes. i would just guess the board. you can try the standard diagnostics like memtest and prime95 to heat things up and see what may have failed.

EDIT
no crash in safemode....reinstall time(i would guess)...