Sign in with
Your question

Intel Q6600, E6850 or AMD 6400+ Black Edition?

Last response: in Overclocking
November 5, 2007 12:34:09 AM

I've been an AMD user for quite a while, enough to actually not follow the intel improvements
and i must admit that i had to do quite some reading to get up to date, to even know the last intel sockets.
My first computer was an intel and that was back in ´97.

Now I am having second thoughts on building an AMD machine after reading a bit in the forums..

I was thinking of the AMD mainly for the price and secondly for the ease of overclocking since my level
in overclocking is very basic and i definitely wouldn't overclock it to extreme levels anyway.

Are the these intel easy to overclock?

Does the migration to Intel worth the extra price?

What are your suggestions?

• Intel Core 2 QUAD Q6600 2.4GHz
    http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.aspx?Product=IQ6...

• Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GHz 4MB FSB1333
    http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.aspx?Product=IE6...

• AMD Athlon64 X2 Dual-Core 6400+ 3.2GHz 2x1MB BLACK EDITION
    http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.aspx?Product=ADX...

By the way, the use will probably consist of a bit of gaming, some video encoding, rendering and normal everyday stuff like file transfers, RAR files etc etc. So I would think I want something not purely for gaming but an all around CPU.
    November 5, 2007 1:37:53 AM

I would say quad-core. the reason i say this i own one. and i burn in the cpu at 3.0/1333 stock Voltage

My setup.
    Q6600 G0 3.0/1333 Stock voltage with zalman 9500
    Asus P5K-V
    Cosair XMS2 DDR2 800 at ddr2 667 timing 5-5-5-15 1:1 stock voltage
    PowercColor 1950 pro x2 cooler.
    Thermaltake Armor series 8000 case.
    Thermaltake ToughPower 700watt

my computer runs very good it was very easy to o/c the q6600. plus this is a good o/c clock you get the 1333 FSB and 3GHz Per-Core.

Non-O/C 25c ideal and 40c on load so the differnce is like 3c+ ideal and 5c for load.

Mine runs at 28Ideal and 45c with all cores %100 did 16 hour prime95 test's and it sable. and cool.

and it is very easy to o/c it.

thats just my 2 cent's
    a c 126 à CPUs
    a b À AMD
    November 5, 2007 2:44:41 AM

I agree with the Quad core as you will futureproof yourself for a few years to come since a lot of the new games seems to be enableing multithreading. Such titles as HL2 Episode 2, Crysis and UT3.

Plus it runs so nice. I have my Q6600 OC'ed to 2.7GHz(still trying to get it to 3GHz) and its cool and quiet.
    Related resources
    November 5, 2007 12:07:46 PM

I appreciate your input ppl.
    I was thinking on a very similar setup.

• Intel Core 2 QUAD Q6600
  • MSI P6N SLI Platinum
  • Corsair XMS2-6400
  • Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
  • Lian-Li PC7 V3 BLACK
  • Sirtec/Chieftec CFT-650-14C 650W

If overclocking the Q6600 to 3ghz is quite easy and stable, then I will probably go for it, since no one else objects. lol
    November 5, 2007 2:46:18 PM

For what you want to use it for I'd go with the quad. However I would move to a 680i or P35 chipset from to go with it if you want to overclock it. Move to the P35 if you don't want SLI.

Also.. make sure you get the G0 stepping of the Q6600, it overclocks much more easily. Encoding/rendering/RAR would (pretty sure) benefit the quad even at 2.4 GHz over a 3.0 GHz Dual Core.
    November 5, 2007 3:43:20 PM

The GPU will probably be the
  • Gainward BLISS GeForce 8800GT 512MB

The stepping is a bit of a problem though since I am going to order all the parts from an online shop, so i dont know what i will get.

Is there a way to distinguish the GO from the other one?
    If there is a way, maybe i could ask them nicely to check it out for me
    since i am going to place quite a big order.

I'll check out the 680i and P35 to see the difference.

Thanks for your replies ppl

Edit:

These are the ones I found, the last is the one I was planing on getting.
    They are all in the same price range, but which one is the best?

• MSI P35 PLATINUM iP35 4DDR2
    http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.aspx?Product=MSIP35PLA
  • XFX MB-N680-ILT9 nForce 680i LT SLI
    http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.aspx?Product=XFXMBN680-ILT9
  • MSI P6N SLI Platinum nForce 650i
    http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.aspx?Product=MSIP6NSLIPLA
    November 5, 2007 5:23:20 PM

The "older" stepping of the Core 2 Quad is SL9UM S-Spec. The newer says SLACR. It's at the end of the Product Number on the retail box or on the Heat Spreader itself.

Personally I like the MSI with Circupipe (P35 Chipset). It is also certified by Thermalright to work with the Ultra 120. I'm also a fan of recent intel chipsets of nVidia.
    November 5, 2007 8:09:05 PM

Thanks for the info, I will try to contact the store in order to obtain the right one. Hopefully they will send the new one.

I dont think I will go for the P35 one.

It will probably be either the :

• XFX ILT9 nForce 680i
    or
  • MSI P6N Platinum 650i

Edit:

Well I asked them and they do have the G0 ones which is nice. Thanks for the tip man I owe it to you. :) 

As for motherboard I decided to go with the:
  • Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 iP35
    a c 126 à CPUs
    a b À AMD
    November 6, 2007 8:48:06 PM

While the nForce chips give you SLI, but P35 will perform better and be able to OC the same if not better.

But go with what you would prefer. I just prefer Intels chipsets over any other since they know thier chip and know what it can and can't do.

Plus in mid 08 you will be able to upgrade to a Penryn(if you feel like doing so) where as I cannot tell you if the 650i/680i will support it. Only reason why you would need to upgrade to the Yorkfield(Penryn Quad core) is that they got it to OC to 3.8GHz(the EE one) from 3GHz and it was still running on a 1.35vcore(same as the QX6850 at stock) and it produced even less heat.

I plan on upping when it comes out (to the 2.66GHz version) just for kicks. But good luck with your build. I hope it serves you well. I can't tell you if it will run Crysis as I have a 2900Pro 1GB but since the 8800GT seems to be pounding the 8800GTS 640 I bet it will be able to play at a mid resolution.
    !