Sign in with
Your question

Sapphire X1950 PRO 512MB AGP Power Question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 7, 2007 5:31:47 PM

My new Sapphire X1950PRO 512MB AGP card and Corsair 620W Modular Power supply has arrived and something perplexed me.

The graphics card has two molex connectors on the back of the card. It has supplied an adapter to turn one molex connector into two.

Should I use the provided adapter on one of the molex connectors or is it more reliable to use separate molex connectors on independant rails to ensure the graphics card gets the full voltage it needs? Surely using the adapter would result in the power being shared between the molex connectors. On the other hand is the supplied adapter required to be used to ensure the card doesnt get too much power and get fried as a result of it?

Please advise me on what I should do. I was intending on using Two sepearate molex connectors on different rails in my Corsair 620W modular power supply. The other molex connectors on the same rail as the two being used by the graphics card would contain small peripherals such as my Audigy 2 Zs Drive Bay, Floppy Drive (which connect to small 4 pin plugs, Corsair decided to provide a Molex to 2x4pin adapter to enable use of floppy drives and front panel drive bays rather than given them their own rail) and my case fan which connects to the other molex connector using the supplied adapter.

Any ideas??
September 7, 2007 7:57:21 PM

Using two wouldn't hurt, that's for sure.
September 7, 2007 9:11:29 PM

I have the same card - you don't need to use the adaptor.
I use two seperate molex - which ultimately are on the same rail because of the way my PSU divides them up. But they are on seperate modular connectors.

I'm going to be switching to a setup where I covert one of my PCI-E rails to a molex (via an adaptor) so that I can use two rails for supplying power. Not strictly necessary, but I want to do it anyway.

Sdrac
Related resources
September 9, 2007 10:56:21 PM

So my original idea of using two seperate molex connectors will work then? Does it matter what other devices share the same rail, esp with my Corsair 620W Modular power supply?? I was intending to use two molex connectors on seperate rails with each one sharing small devices like floppy drive, Audigy 2 ZS bay and Case fan. Will this still ensure the card gets enough juice?

September 10, 2007 2:17:10 AM

Marshahu,
Using two seperate molex will be fine.

What you put on the rails with the card is typically important - you don't want to exceed the rated amperage for the rails for your PSU. You PSU says it supplies a MAX of 18A per rail (50A total across 3 rails). That is max - continous output will be somewhat lower (say 16A).

If I remember correctly, though your PSU says three rails, its really one large one (double check the review on JonnyGuru site - not sure how good my memory is these days :-) ). That would make your life easier - everything on one rail!

The card says you should have at least a 450W PSU with 30A on the 12V rail. I've seen elsewhere on the web that in practice is consumes about 10A in idle and as much as 17A under load - so as far as the GPU is concerned you are fine (I don't know what the rest of your system looks like so I can't speak for it).

By the way, I have switched to the new setup where I am drawing off one of my PCI-E rails and it is working fine (further proof that powering off of two seperate molex on different rails is ok).

sdrac
September 10, 2007 8:48:02 PM

Well the rest of the system is as follows:

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe Motherboard
Athlon XP 3200+
2GB RAM Dual Channel
320GB SATA hard disk
160GB ATA Hard disk
One Liteon DVD ROM drive
One Liteon DVD RW drive
SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Hauppage TV Card
5 Port USB 2.0 Card
Intel 56k Modem for faxes
Radeon X1600pro AGP card which will be replaced with the X1950PRO once the power is sorted

The processor and motherboard shouldnt use too much power - I merely got 620w for peace of mind and to future proof it should I choose to rip out the motherboard and replace it with a nice Core 2 Duo!!
September 11, 2007 12:30:41 AM

Marshahu,
Go here: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.js...

You can use that tool to get a basic feel for the amout of power you'll need. For a quick look at your specs, your 620W should be plenty. You can buy the advanced version of the estimater (its cheap) to look at amperage needs - its worth the 2 bucks for a one shot check!

Post back if you have any problems or other questions.

Sdrac

!