Thermaltake Kandalf vs Cooler Master Stacker 832

conn007

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
(sorry, kind of long, but please help me out).

I am about to upgrade the case for my computer as my current one is just too small. Doing a lot of research in to cases, these are the two I narrowed it down to. I can't seem to decide which one to choose because I have no personal experiance with either, but each has sparked an intrest with me...

I like the Stacker 832 because of the 4x120mm fan bracket, the removable motherboard tray, the (mostly) all aluminum body, the Raptor X HDD mount, and all the little things, like the reversable/removable door, the locking wheels, etc.

Things I am concerned about the Stacker 832 is mainly the 4x120mm fan bracket. I heard that it can get in the way of certain large CPU heatsinks. I was thinking of getting the new CM Sphere heatsink, but it looks rather too large, and might be in the way of the fans... also, wouldn't a case have better airflow with the side panels sealed off, using the front as an intake, and rear as exaust, creating sort of a wind tunnel? Also, with all the vents and grills, would a lot of dust build up rather quick?

Now onto the Kandalf. I like it because it seems much more roomy than the Stacker 832, and looks like it has good airflow. The front panel slot covers are grills, like on the Stacker 832, but also have a foam filter to block out dust, which from the pictures, the Stacker 832 seems to lack. Also, I seem to get the impression that Thermaltake parts are higher quality, and well built.

Things I am concerned about in the Kandalf are, the tool-less PCI slot clips. I heard that they don't work too great on certain cards, and also have to be removed all together when installing a dual slot graphics card. I also would really like there to be a removable motherboard tray which makes installation/upgrading so much easyer. Also, the black model (the one I want) is made of steel, which is not as good at dissipating heat, and would be much heavyer (not really a concern though, i wont be moving it too much).

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Conn007

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
in my opinion there is no contest, the stacker is one of the best cases ever amde if i could afford it i would get it. they also look amazing modded.

the 4 fan bracket will only get in the way of the largest of the largest of HSF as the case is wide to say the least, if you stick with a CNPS 7700 cu from zalman you will be fine, and that is also regarded as a billiant HSF

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I have the Stacker 832 and the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and everything fits fine. In order to fit the heatsink you won't be able to install a fan in the top left position in the side fan door and there also is a removeable black fan holder which you will have to remove but after that everything fits fine. I also like the Kandalf and thought about selling my case in order to buy it but I have a problem with all in one watercooling solutions because they tend to not be as good as if you were to build your own. I love my Stacker and believe that it is worth every cent I paid for it so don't hesitate to buy it you won't be sorry.
IMG_0113.jpg

theslave

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
I don't have experience with the Stacker, but I do own the Kandalf LCS model. It has the liquid cooling system built in, and a different front door, but otherwise it is identical to the standard Kandalf.

This case is very roomy. It doesn't have a removable MB tray, but I found I didn't need that feature since there is so much room. I have big hands, and I still didn't have any problems installing my system in this case. Not to mention I still had ample room to add my own custom liquid cooling system (including pump, reservoir, waterblocks for the CPU, chipset, and 2 GPUs).

The air flow is great, make sure you use rounded cables to maximize the air flow. Mine has 3x120mm fans in the front, but they push air through a large radiator mounted in the front door, and still the air flow is great. The front grill is very easy to work with, and you can easily move the plates around if you need to move one of the plates that has the 3 1/2 cutout. These are also toolless, and work quite well.

There is an issue with the toolless PCI bracket. I had 2 single slot video cards, and they worked well, though you have to be careful when you insert the cards. When I replaced them with a two slot card, I had to remove the whole bracket, then it works like a standard PCI bracket.

I have the black case, the silver one wasn't available when I bought it, and it is heavy. Everything is steel except my front door which is all aluminum. The case is REALLY solid!! It doesn't come with casters, nor does it look like you can add them later instead of the feet that come with it. I had to build a small dolly for when I move it around to work on it (a constant work in progress). Just be aware of this.

BTW, you can also add the optional side panel with the 250mm fan for extra air flow. I add this to add additional airflow over the RAM sinks on my video cards. It runs at 600 rpm, and is pretty much dead silent. It also has a mesh over it to screen out dust.

In the end it depends on what you need, and the one that suits your aesthetic preferences. I like the look of the front door of Kandalf LCS, but not the standard Kandalf, but that's just me.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Got my Stacker 830 today. Not the 832 but same basics. Gotta say its very easy to install into but takes a while. Also my back fan didn't work :(

phillyman36

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Hey is there room in the Stackers(830/832)to hide cables behind the motherboard tray? Want to make sure i can but extra cable behind and make sure the left side panel will close with those cables behind it

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Yes there is room but you will still be able to see them through the side of the case because both sides have that screen type styling. If your concern is mearly to hide the cables for better air flow then yes it will work and that's how I have mine. As an added bonus due to the size of the case and all the holes on the motherboard tray for the various form factors it supports it is very easy to route and hold down cables with a few cable ties

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
One thing to consider when choosing between the 830 and 832 is that people were having trouble with expansion cards popping out of their slots with the 830 due to the way it was designed. With the 832 they redesigned that as well as the side fan door (made it shallower to allow for taller heat sinks) and also placed the top fan further forward to allow for longer PSU's. So the difference between the two is more than just a different front door.

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
There is room, but you'll see them through the mesh on the other side. There is lots of room above the main components, ie. infront of the powersupply to hide unused cables.

BTW, I have CM Stacker 830, Amazing case, absolutely love it. Cleaning the air filters is not too much of a problem, just check them every week or two to see how must they've accumulated. It depends if you have hardwood or carpet and how much dust there normally is in the air.

HTH