Sign in with
Your question

AGEIA PhysX Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
September 8, 2007 1:29:01 AM

Hi guys.
I need some advise on the AGEIA PhysX Card. Should i buy it. Is it any use. They have got pretty cheap now asus is 130$. Would you recommend buying it. if yes what company ASUS or BFG..

More about : ageia physx card

September 8, 2007 1:44:49 AM

The $130 would be better spent building a fire to make smores.
September 8, 2007 1:44:57 AM

No, don't buy it. Hardly any games implement it.

Buy yourself a better graphics card, processor, memory, etc.
You'll see much better performance from the latter.
Related resources
Anonymous
September 8, 2007 1:49:00 AM

I already have

Intel E6600
Intel DP35DM MB
3Gb dual Channel Memory
Nvidia 8800GTS 640MB
Seagate 320GB
SB X-Fi Xtremegamer

So i was thinking if it's any use in games like GRAW or Graw 2
September 8, 2007 2:02:43 AM

I'd say you're best off waiting for UT3 to decide whether the AGEIA PhysX card would be worth owning. I have one(I got it real cheap!) and it's completely useless at the moment.
September 8, 2007 2:16:54 AM

I believe Medal of Honor: Airborne takes advantage of it. Not 100 percent sure though.
September 8, 2007 2:44:58 AM

paq7512 said:
I believe Medal of Honor: Airborne takes advantage of it. Not 100 percent sure though.
The only part of the AGEIA PhysX engine Medal of Honor: Airborne takes advantage of is the rigid body system, but they have PhysX hardware disabled so the game doesn't take advantage of the card, even though it technically could; instead the game uses 100% of a dual core CPU with an environment in which NOTHING is interactive.
September 8, 2007 3:06:05 AM

Airborne does take advantage of the physics card. Why do you think it installs the drivers.

I have one of those cards. Not all games take advantage of it, but those that do will benefit greatly..... easing things up on your processor and your video card.

F.E.A.R takes advantage of it. A lot more stuff ( particles ) fly around and linger in the air when my machine had the card vs it not being in there. It gets so "dusty" it's almost too hard to see. Really cool. The game also plays smoother.

I'd buy one if I were you. Everthing might not take advantage of it but it's good to have................ and the manufacturer already has an updated version waiting in the wings with a pci-e interface. that should tell you something.

September 8, 2007 3:34:24 AM

leadbottom said:
Airborne does take advantage of the physics card. Why do you think it installs the drivers.

I have one of those cards. Not all games take advantage of it, but those that do will benefit greatly..... easing things up on your processor and your video card.

F.E.A.R takes advantage of it. A lot more stuff ( particles ) fly around and linger in the air when my machine had the card vs it not being in there. It gets so "dusty" it's almost too hard to see. Really cool. The game also plays smoother.

I'd buy one if I were you. Everthing might not take advantage of it but it's good to have................ and the manufacturer already has an updated version waiting in the wings with a pci-e interface. that should tell you something.
F.E.A.R. uses Havok, so the AGEIA PhysX card doesn't do **** for it. Also, RoboBlitz requires the PhysX drivers to run, but as stated by it's developer, hardware support is disabled. http://www.roboblitz.com/HTML_SITE/support/support.shtml
I own the PhysX card too, and I know that so far it's done nothing to improve my gaming experience.
September 8, 2007 4:13:12 AM

You either have a crappy setup, or you're too stupid to tell the difference !
September 8, 2007 4:22:58 AM

leadbottom said:
You either have a crappy setup, or you're too stupid to tell the difference !
Or you're just an idiot. And in fact, if he had a crappy setup, he would notice the difference more.

And the physX system is just an API that happens to be able to interface with a hardware device. Just because a game has the Ageia PhysX engine doesn't mean it automatically uses the card.
September 8, 2007 4:37:36 AM

When it comes to things like this i ALWAYS give the same advice.

Spend that money on coke and hookers.
September 8, 2007 4:39:46 AM

mrmez said:
When it comes to things like this i ALWAYS give the same advice.

Spend that money on coke and hookers.
Its not THAT expensive...
September 8, 2007 4:42:10 AM

Below is a partial listing of current and upcoming AGEIA PhysX-accelerated titles available for PC ....... ( partial )

And if you can't see the difference in a game, with the card and without the card, too bad for you.

Hookers.................. hmmmmmmm................ ? lol
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2007 5:04:41 AM

Leadbottom, hope these types of posts aren't what we can expect from you in the future. Mind supplying just one link that says that F.E.A.R. supports Ageia. Not to mention, if F.E.A.R. actually did support Ageia, you expect me to believe that link to supported titles wouldn't list one of the best FPS's???? Being uninformed is one thing, spreading unsupported FUD is completely another. We have enough posters here that do that, try and differentiate yourself some other way.

Just to let you know that particle system:

Quote:

The debris and dust works for the rest of us who don't have an PPU, and yes it gets to the point where we have to let the dust settle before we can see. Do not justify your purchase by fooling yourself that the PPU helped in F.E.A.R.. Next you'll tell us that BOB (that paper clip in Office) has better, more realistic animations because of your PPU. :sarcastic:  :lol: 

I Google it, and couldn't find one instance where it said that F.E.A.R. support Ageia. When I did a search on the whatisfear website (search word ageia) it came back in Sierra's support site with the name Switchball, a title that happens to be on that list.
September 8, 2007 5:12:08 AM

leadbottom said:
Below is a partial listing of current and upcoming AGEIA PhysX-accelerated titles available for PC ....... ( partial )

And if you can't see the difference in a game, with the card and without the card, too bad for you.

Hookers.................. hmmmmmmm................ ? lol
Quote:
© 2007 Monolith Productions, Inc. All rights reserved. Published by Vivendi Games, Inc. under license from Monolith Productions, Inc. F.E.A.R. is a trademark of Vivendi Games, Inc. Sierra and the Sierra logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of Sierra Entertainment, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. MONOLITH and the MONOLITH Logo ™ & © Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. Developed by Day 1 Studios, LLC. Uses Havok™; © Copyright 1999-2007 Havok.com Inc. (and its Licensors). All Rights Reserved. See www.havok.com for details. Uses Bink Video Technology. Copyright © 1997-2007 by RAD Game Tools, Inc. Dolby and the double-D symbol are trademarks of Dolby Laboratories. All other copyrights and trademarks are the property of their respective owners. “PlayStation” and the “PS” Family logo are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

http://www.sierra.com/en/home/games/game_info.prod-L2Nv...
http://www.havok.com/content/blogcategory/44/84/
September 8, 2007 6:13:55 AM

1743269,16,75978 said:
Leadbottom, hope these types of posts aren't what we can expect from you in the future. Mind supplying just one link that says that F.E.A.R. supports Ageia. Not to mention, if F.E.A.R. actually did support Ageia, you expect me to believe that link to supported titles wouldn't list one of the best FPS's???? Being uninformed is one thing, spreading unsupported FUD is completely another. We have enough posters here that do that, try and differentiate yourself some other way.

Quote:

The debris and dust works for the rest of us who don't have an PPU, and yes it gets to the point where we have to let the dust settle before we can see. Do not justify your purchase by fooling yourself that the PPU helped in F.E.A.R.. Next you'll tell us that BOB (that paper clip in Office) has better, more realistic animations because of your PPU. :sarcastic:  :lol: 

I can tell the difference in my machine with the hardware I'm running how the games react or don't react with the card installed or not installed. I played FEAR about 8 times, beginning to end before I bought the card. I see more particles flying around with it installed, and they take longer to settle. If you don't or can't see the difference , I can't help it. It also plays smoother. It's my opinion that the card alleviates some of the stress off of the processor and off of the graphics card. Sorry you disagree with me. I'm not going to go looking around the web for anything. I don't have to. I don't have to have specific scientific fact from some world renowned electronics geek to know what I see and feel when I use my machine.
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2007 6:27:37 AM

Better off spending the money elsewhere.
September 8, 2007 6:34:32 AM

i agree spending it on the coke, not so much the hookers as the "vag" is easily available to anyone for free.
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2007 6:40:54 AM

Buy it if you want, otherwise don't buy it.
September 8, 2007 7:13:01 AM

Im alwyas keeping the lookout for quite a cheap one, but depending on how much difference it makes in UT3 Ill get it no matter what.

I think it will make quite a bit of difference personally.
September 8, 2007 7:30:38 AM

One more vote on coke and hookers, just make sure it isn't cheap crappy coke that is mostly baking soday :X
September 8, 2007 8:24:51 AM

don't get it, unless you have the urge to play that free game they made which only runs with it (cell factor or something)
September 13, 2007 5:19:52 PM

leadbottom said:
I can tell the difference in my machine with the hardware I'm running how the games react or don't react with the card installed or not installed. I played FEAR about 8 times, beginning to end before I bought the card. I see more particles flying around with it installed, and they take longer to settle. If you don't or can't see the difference , I can't help it. It also plays smoother. It's my opinion that the card alleviates some of the stress off of the processor and off of the graphics card. Sorry you disagree with me. I'm not going to go looking around the web for anything. I don't have to. I don't have to have specific scientific fact from some world renowned electronics geek to know what I see and feel when I use my machine.

Thats quite interesting, whats your hardware? and also did you recently update your drivers by chance? Also when you stuck the card in, were you actually looking at things now? Rather than before just playing them through and ignoring things like a majority of people (myself included) do when we play games?
What was the FPS range with and without the card?

Thats about it. Have fun :) 

In regards to the topic as a whole :)  No I don't think its really worth it, not with the improvements to Video Cards, and CPUs, I don't think the PPU will stay strong for long. Though what I'd like to see is if theirs a difference with someone with a PPU, and without it running MOH Airborne which supposedly uses the card (I own the game and in my Add and Remvoe folder are those drivers for the card, but I do NOT have the card {I also cannot remove them, or play the game without them O.o})
September 13, 2007 5:53:06 PM

Thats quite interesting, whats your hardware? and also did you recently update your drivers by chance? Also when you stuck the card in, were you actually looking at things now? Rather than before just playing them through and ignoring things like a majority of people (myself included) do when we play games?

SPECS: 939 4800 ocl'ed. / 8800gts 640 with the 162 something or other drivers. / xp pro 64bit / 4gig ocz plat / physics card.............

The first and second time I played, I just played. The more I played I actually got to the point at watching the different things ( effects ) as you were playing.

Don't know what the frame rates were off hand, but they were "high" in the auto thing, all over 40 fps and
don't know what the max was, is all I can remember, .....*** before the physics card was installed ***....

and I don't really think the frame rates changed when I put the physics card in, it just felt like it got "lubed". Played better and smoother. The dust takes longer to settle, there's more of it, and I get bigger chunks when you shoot up cardboard boxes......... bigger triangles, more "triangles"......( the particles that fly off them when shot ) if you know what I mean. Also the concrete walls and other walls that spew the "dust" when shot. That's all I can tell you.
September 13, 2007 6:05:59 PM

I agree with the first few posters, play "wait and see". The tech is sound, the hardware is sound. It has potentially huge potential to alter the way games are played. BUT until enough games are on tap that use the hardware and it gets more market penetration there simply won't be games that utilize it to the fullest extent showing the difference it can really make.

Think of it similarly to DX10 at the present. No real "need" for a DX10 card yet due to the fact no games will utilize much of it's potential for some time. The difference here is that AMD and Nvidia own the discrete graphics industry and they will go along with pushing out only DX10 compatible hardware in the future. Actually Vista makes a better comparison because more "gamers" will likely resist switching it for some time to come longer than they'd resist switching to a DX10 card :)  hehe In the end it could possibly die an agonizing death ( Ageia Physx) if UT3 and the couple other titles releasing in the near future don't give people something they just can't get without the hardware.

I believe that is not too likely to happen but I would love to see it since there is so much potential there, wait and see if it takes off after UT3, but don't hold your breath :hello: 
September 13, 2007 6:19:20 PM

Anonymous said:
I already have

Intel E6600
Intel DP35DM MB
3Gb dual Channel Memory
Nvidia 8800GTS 640MB
Seagate 320GB
SB X-Fi Xtremegamer

So i was thinking if it's any use in games like GRAW or Graw 2

I played GRAW, that game is underrated.
I wonder how a PhysX will make it any better. The physics on my C2D seems fast enough anyway.
I think it will be a long time until physics gets fixed and full intergrated in DirectX.
September 13, 2007 6:28:58 PM

the only game i have ever played that i wished i owned a physx card was cellfactor - free game from Nvidia

the game was meant to use the physx card exclusively and basically isn't playable without a physx card.
all other games i play couldn't be improved using a physx card.

i also read on a tgdaily article a while back that physx cards may not be around for very much longer because there aren't any games that take advantage of them.

i sincerely doubt that UT3 will take advantage of a physx card.

but crysis on the other hand, i can see that game taking advantage of a physx card. (supposedly everything is destructible)
September 13, 2007 7:29:11 PM

leadbottom said:
1743269,16,75978 said:

Quote:

said:

I rarly post, but you are so dumb i had to say this. FEAR does not support the phyics card, it doesnt even use the software from AGIEA. It is IMPOSSIBLE for fear to have "more dust" With it installed. IMPOSSIBLE. Unless the game supports AGIEA physx, the actual card, you will see NO improvment. Stop fooling your self.
September 13, 2007 8:11:23 PM

leadbottom said:

SPECS: 939 4800 ocl'ed. / 8800gts 640 with the 162 something or other drivers. / xp pro 64bit / 4gig ocz plat / physics card.............

The first and second time I played, I just played. The more I played I actually got to the point at watching the different things ( effects ) as you were playing.

Don't know what the frame rates were off hand, but they were "high" in the auto thing, all over 40 fps and
don't know what the max was, is all I can remember, .....*** before the physics card was installed ***....

and I don't really think the frame rates changed when I put the physics card in, it just felt like it got "lubed". Played better and smoother. The dust takes longer to settle, there's more of it, and I get bigger chunks when you shoot up cardboard boxes......... bigger triangles, more "triangles"......( the particles that fly off them when shot ) if you know what I mean. Also the concrete walls and other walls that spew the "dust" when shot. That's all I can tell you.

I know nothing about physics cards but I can tell what bullxxxx is by the smell.
September 13, 2007 8:23:38 PM

No point in getting the Ageia card at this point in time. Developers will probably start utilizing the multiple cores of the newest processors to run physics calculations, so (for the long term) you're probably better off switching to a quad-core processor than buying the phys-x card.
September 13, 2007 8:49:22 PM

raptorxt said:
the only game i have ever played that i wished i owned a physx card was cellfactor - free game from Nvidia

the game was meant to use the physx card exclusively and basically isn't playable without a physx card.
all other games i play couldn't be improved using a physx card.

i also read on a tgdaily article a while back that physx cards may not be around for very much longer because there aren't any games that take advantage of them.

i sincerely doubt that UT3 will take advantage of a physx card.

but crysis on the other hand, i can see that game taking advantage of a physx card. (supposedly everything is destructible)

Cellfactor was released by Artificial Studios and Immersion Games, not nvidia. http://www.ageia.com/physx/cfr.html

UT3 will (currently) take advantage of the PhysX card. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_Tournament_3 (under engine and gameplay)
http://www.ageia.com/physx/ut3.html

http://unreal.freakygaming.com/pc/action/unreal_tournam...

September 13, 2007 9:08:10 PM

Talon said:
I agree with the first few posters, play "wait and see". The tech is sound, the hardware is sound. It has potentially huge potential to alter the way games are played. BUT until enough games are on tap that use the hardware and it gets more market penetration there simply won't be games that utilize it to the fullest extent showing the difference it can really make.

Think of it similarly to DX10 at the present. No real "need" for a DX10 card yet due to the fact no games will utilize much of it's potential for some time. The difference here is that AMD and Nvidia own the discrete graphics industry and they will go along with pushing out only DX10 compatible hardware in the future. Actually Vista makes a better comparison because more "gamers" will likely resist switching it for some time to come longer than they'd resist switching to a DX10 card :)  hehe In the end it could possibly die an agonizing death ( Ageia Physx) if UT3 and the couple other titles releasing in the near future don't give people something they just can't get without the hardware.

I believe that is not too likely to happen but I would love to see it since there is so much potential there, wait and see if it takes off after UT3, but don't hold your breath :hello: 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doens't Ageia run into a bit of bandwidth issues? That could be an indicator that the tech is not all that sound. And it's a poor comparison with DX10, particularly stating that there is no reason in buying the newer hardware from nV/ATI. They are faster than the older hardware (apples to apples) in DX9 as well...
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 13, 2007 11:59:38 PM

baddad said:
Read the part about NVIDIA® Quantum Effects™ Technology

http://www.nvidia.com/page/8800_features.html

Rather interesting video......... lol. The high quality video looked good on my x850xt. Bet it looks better with shader model 3.0. Not to mention the DX10 option. Have to check it out later.

Stop picking on leadbottom. I have the physics card, and I can see "improvements" in different areas. ....... Maybe it's doing what he says...... ? I'm not sitting in front of his machine, he is.
September 14, 2007 1:50:55 AM

Thats like prepareing for dx10 games,by the time the actual good ones arrive all the video cards will be next to obsolete(or I'm sure need upgradeing to play current games at that time).
Anonymous
September 22, 2007 5:55:46 PM

Do you guy's think it will drop in price at Christmas time. UT3 should be out by then. BFG card is going for 116$ after mail in rebate.
Anonymous
September 22, 2007 5:56:50 PM

It has come long way from 300$ to 116$ though lol.
September 22, 2007 7:10:44 PM

If only a lot of games used the Source Engine...

No need for a physics card
!