Integrated graphics reduce CPU performance?

ayqazi

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
Hi,

The benchmark on this page indicates that use of on-board graphics affect the CPU usage when compared to discreet graphics:
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/mainboard/gigabyte-ma69vm-s2-690v.html

(note the compression benchmarks)

Is this true?? I'm thinking of getting a GA-MA69GM-S2H (the mATX version of the motherboard used for comparison) along with a BE-2350 for a little server/gateway for my room, and if that's the case, I'll be plugging in a 1MB/4MB PCI gfx card to maximise CPU performance. I've never encountered this kind of phenomenon before, just wanted to know the views of other more experienced peeps.

Thanks

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
A dedicated GPU would infact reduce load on the CPU.

However, I doubt the difference would be enough to warrant a dedicated card.

The only significant differences is seen when gaming which is just because one GPU is so much better than the others.

IMHO, I would not worry about the PCI card.

pat

Expert
yes.. because the GPU and the CPU are sharing the same memory bus... creating latency.

But if you are making only a small server, I would not really matter. Performance should be good enough.

ayqazi

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
Ah, so it's the memory bus that the CPU is having to wait for while the GPU uses it that's causing the drop in performance.....

Thanks very much for the info.

True and what every memory the integrated GPU uses isnt usable by the CPU. Integrated GPU's can use up to 256mb and on a 1GB system that 1/4 the total ram to 756 for the CPU where on a dedicated GPU the CPU would have the full 1GB.

TRENDING THREADS